This is one of four kits I will be building for this group build.

It is the Revell A-4E that I will built OOB as the Blue Angels A-4. This will be clean mounted on a stand

I have started the cockpit and you should expect pictures soon.

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice work Sean! You're definitely keeping busy with 4 skyhawk builds!

You might already know, but Blue Angels A-4's had their slats pinned in the retracted position. I saw the slat tracks on the wings in your shot where you mentioned getting ready to prime it, and just wanted to pass that on. Keep up the good work and the pictures!

Nice work Sean! You're definitely keeping busy with 4 skyhawk builds!

You might already know, but Blue Angels A-4's had their slats pinned in the retracted position. I saw the slat tracks on the wings in your shot where you mentioned getting ready to prime it, and just wanted to pass that on. Keep up the good work and the pictures!

Bahh..I didnt know that. I was going to have them out. Oh well.

Sean

Bahh..I didnt know that. I was going to have them out. Oh well.

Sean

The Blue Angels pinned them in the up position to preclude one leading edge slat from deploying and the other sticking resulting in some very bad flight characteristics. By locking them up, all it meant was the Blue Angels A-4s landed faster.

Don't forget the leading edges of the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces had polished natural metal leading edges. The pinned leading edge slats were also polished natural metal. Along with the lips of the intakes.

I'm building this same kit and I'm about to glue wing to fuselage, when I noticed a step in the portion of the wing where the cannon parts will insert, and the cannon/wing root fairing molded into the fuselage. On one of your photos it looks like you somehow got around this issue. What steps did you take?

any gaps or steps that I noticed ( and there were many) I just filled with putty and then sanded with different shaped files.

Also, as I glued the wings in I went in short(ish) stages and adjusted the plastic as necessary at each point.

while I am here I will mention that I should ahve some newer pics up this weekend. Shoudl be priming this week.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...