Zwilling, Takom's 12.8cm beast

Aloha all,

Changing gears again, finished up another recent release from the relatively new company Takom. It's hard to gauge the size of this kit but it is quite impressive, apparently a real world Zwilling battery weighed in at 20+ tons.

Took a couple of weeks to complete this kit and was a pretty challenging build. It's built straight out of the box with one minor change, I swapped the kit RblF32 mounts with covered examples nicked from a couple of DML Flak 36 kits. The biggest issue with the build was aligning the 5 piece barrel for each gun, then aligning the two guns within the carriage. I ended up sourcing a tapered dowel from a plank-on-frame kit to better align all the parts and keep the breach to muzzle line reasonably straight. The rest of the build is pretty straight forward though most seams will require filler (Mr. surfacer was normally enough to correct), fit improved with the removal of the locating pins in most cases. The kit was finished in Gaia Color & Mr.Color paints and weathered with both AK interactive & Vallejo products. The simple base was included in the kit as is a separate mounting ring, I'm using the full base as a temporary fix but it's actually pretty cool and works well. Eventually I'll finish a wood base for this build, mount the battery, and maybe add a few Luftwaffe Flak crew to show off it's size. I'm thinking about camouflaging the surface of the base as well, found a few pics of a Flak-Turme "G" that showed some kind of pattern applied to the roof and firing positions. Pretty neat stuff :thumbsup:/>

Again a this one of Takom's new releases and it's great to see a company tackle non-mainstream subjects. The kit will take some effort to build but it's really satisfying once done. I hope to continue building all these great kits out there, gotta keep motivated!!! ;)/>

Ahui hou,

Mark

_MAS5920_zpsicra03sb.jpg

_MAS5929_zpsin3ogxsb.jpg

_MAS5931_zpswlxetapr.jpg

_MAS5921_zpszipyhk0t.jpg

_MAS5930_zpsaqkkpttn.jpg