New AOA decals - 1/48 & 1/72 O-1 Bird Dogs in Vietnam

Latest AOA release covers 23 O-1 Bird Dogs in Vietnam and is available in both 1/48 and 1/72.

10x US Army (21st, 184th, 199th, 203rd, 219th, 220th, and 221st RAC)

6x US Air Force

2x US Marine Corps (very similar appearance)

5x Vietnam Air Force

Many of the schemes covered can be modeled using the single release.

Now available.

1/48 $15.50

1/72 $15

Free shipping within the US

www.AOAdecals.com

Here is artwork for 1/48:

(Click image for larger view)

48003a.jpg 48003b.jpg

And 1/72:

72005.jpg

48003-1.jpg 48003-2.jpg

48003-3.jpg 48003-4.jpg

48003-5.jpg

Edited by Steve Belanger

Latest AOA release covers 23(!) O-1 Bird Dogs in Vietnam and will be available in both 1/48 and 1/72.

10x US Army (21st, 184th, 199th, 203rd, 219th, 220th, and 221st RAC)

6x US Air Force

2x US Marine Corps (very similar appearance)

5x Vietnam Air Force

Many of the schemes covered can be modeled using the single release.

Profiles will be posted shortly

Expected release in October in both 1/48 and 1/72.

Price TBD

www.AOAdecals.com

Here is artwork for 1/48 (1/72 release is similar):

48003a.jpg 48003b.jpg

Sweet.. I have a 48th scale O-1..

Need a review done? let me know.

Harald

Edited by PhantomPhreakII

Latest AOA release covers 23(!) O-1 Bird Dogs in Vietnam and will be available in both 1/48...

The problem will be finding the 1/48th kit. Let's hope it will be reissued, because I've been looking every now and then and have come up empty.

Suggest a follow up with the O-2. At least there are plenty of Hawk/Testors kits available on eBay.

bob

sierrascale

Do those come with paint scheme guides?

Not sure I understand what you're asking, yes there will be instructions of course which will show the schemes. In the case especially of the Army ones the wings and horizontal stab/elevators could vary quite a bit using orange, white, and yellow and some with repeating tail markings on the wing. It will take a while to complete all the views which is why I'll be posting the profiles a bit later.

The problem will be finding the 1/48th kit. Let's hope it will be reissued, because I've been looking every now and then and have come up empty.

Suggest a follow up with the O-2. At least there are plenty of Hawk/Testors kits available on eBay.

I'm hoping a lot of people still have the kit squirelled away in the stash. I thought Hasegawa had reboxed it years ago too? I had noticed recently Squadron still carried the True Details cockpit set but now it's gone?? Figures.

All of the FAC type aircraft (O-1, O-2, and OV-10 of course) are of interest to me so I had thought of the O-2 as well. Downside to the O-2 is of the three types it's the most "boring" visually as far as schemes go.

The ModelUSA kit was rereleased by Hasegawa. Very crude moldings in their original release, but it was/is the only game in town for an O-1. Little things about it impressed me, the 35mm SLR camera molded on the forward windshield post and IIRC there's also an M16 molded inside one fuselage half.

The ModelUSA kit was rereleased by Hasegawa. Very crude moldings in their original release, but it was/is the only game in town for an O-1. Little things about it impressed me, the 35mm SLR camera molded on the forward windshield post and IIRC there's also an M16 molded inside one fuselage half.

The M16 is a separate part actually. Ya lots of flash but the detail is mostly there. The True Detail set helped too.

Great news Steve. I have the kit but was unaware of the detail set. Crap now to hunt that down. With several nice markings on your sheet I may also have to get a couple more kits. With the Can/US exchange rate now I am not looking forward to finding it on ebay.

I have the kit but was unaware of the detail set. Crap now to hunt that down.

Strange, it doesn't even show up anymore when searching on their website, so that may not be good indication. Here's the direct link:

http://www.squadron.com/1-48-True-Details-L-19-O1-Bird-Dog-Cockpit-p/td48514.htm

The "soon" in "in stock soon" is open to interpretation.

Strange, it doesn't even show up anymore when searching on their website, so that may not be good indication. Here's the direct link:

http://www.squadron.com/1-48-True-Details-L-19-O1-Bird-Dog-Cockpit-p/td48514.htm

The "soon" in "in stock soon" is open to interpretation.

Thanks for the link Steve. Maybe an email to Squadron might help. I know they have a lot of True Detail sets and they come and go it seems.

I could not find an e-mail destination to send my questions to on the AOA Decals web site; I'd appreciate some help with this. I'd like to be able to order up a set when they're available in 1/48. I have a 1/48 ModelUSA kit that's been waiting for a decal set that attracted me.

Thanks very much.

I don't think Steve has it on his web site as yet so cannot order as yet. I was just there and it seems that the buying buttons work.

Looks like they're out of stock now there too.

I could not find an e-mail destination to send my questions to on the AOA Decals web site; I'd appreciate some help with this.

Click on "contact" either on the upper right or bottom right on the website, this should open an email window. Or you can send email or PM via ARC here.

profiles finally posted

The 48th sheet seems to be 3 insignias short versus the 72nd sheet for the VNAF option. May have to purchase a second set in order to cover all six insignias locations for the OD version that uses the smaller insig.

Edited by trietmcam

The 48th sheet seems to be 3 insignias short versus the 72nd sheet for the VNAF option. May have to purchase a second set in order to cover all six insignias locations for the OD version that uses the smaller insig.

The extras on the 1/72 sheet are filler. The green ones have the elongated style (6 position). The smaller style was on 112829.

Thanks for the link Steve. Maybe an email to Squadron might help. I know they have a lot of True Detail sets and they come and go it seems.

Here's another store that has it in stock.. allbeit the last one...

48th scale O-1 detail set

Harald

ps I might be able to pick it up for you and ship it

The extras on the 1/72 sheet are filler. The green ones have the elongated style (6 position). The smaller style was on 112829.

My ref has one insignia under wing. Unfortunately I don't know if upper wing has any. If it does, maybe I can use one of the elongated and trim it short.

o1_112_5_zpscmqfifdr.jpg

My ref has one insignia under wing. Unfortunately I don't know if upper wing has any. If it does, maybe I can use one of the elongated and trim it short.

There is a photo presumably from same time as that one that was taken from the right rear that definitely shows the upper wing having no national insignias (which is how I have shown it in the profile)

• 1 month later...