Assuming this is not started too much, I will be building a UH-1A of the 57th Med Detachment. The 57th Med flew the first UH-1A's in Vietnam in 1962. There is no UH-1A in 1/72 scale so I decided to start with the Hobby Boss UH-1B kit because it goes together much easier than the Italeri short bodied Huey kits. However, many of the Italeri parts are much nicer so I will use much of the Italeri interior and modify an Italeri main rotor for this build. The decals are from the Print Scale UH-1 in Vietnam sheet. I also plan to add Eduard PE from both their Hobby Boss and Italeri sets. Here is where I'm starting.

P9080272_zps3gd7lmxi.jpg

I am hoping to end up with something like this:

uh1chile.jpg?w=950&h=758

Now back to work.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Closed up the fuselage and made some corrections. First was the rotor which is too short. You can see the unaltered Italeri main rotor below and the corrected one above. The Alpha had nose mounted FM antennas instead of the towel bar antenna and no VHF blade antenna or roof mounted pitot so all the locator holes for those were filled in. I also filled the incorrect and over sized fuel filler locations and added the fuel filler on the right side in the correct location. Slowly but surely coming together. If you look closely you can also see I added a B pillar and first aid kits to the cabin as well.

Ray

P9290337_zpskifn1dok.jpg

P9290338_zpssy69v0hg.jpg

P9290340_zpsruu7afpv.jpg

P9290339_zpsz6ct3tdh.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally getting to update my build. Here are some pics of the work on her.

Ray

Shortened the Italeri UH-1B rotor mast to the proper UH-1A height.

PA040387_zpsicob75ky.jpg

Sanded the skid steps on the HB kit down to something more accurate. Corrected skid step on the right.

PA040381_zpsclqggg3k.jpg

Used a stiff wire to link the sync elevators so they more together on the finished model.

PA040389_zpswejknbdn.jpg

Added a nose mounted pitot from wire.

PA040391_zpsd3fdp25y.jpg

Replaced the flimsy two-piece part over the opening to the dog house with a single stronger piece of styrene.

PA050398_zps3pkljuhn.jpg

I added the downward facing blade counterweights characteristic of the UH-1A using wire and styrene.

PA070427_zpsi2euweso.jpg

I used white putty to even out the join in the extended main rotor blades. I also decided to take the easy route and use tape for the trim tabs.

PA070433_zpsjx3hl8np.jpg

Now for the finishing photos. I forgot to take pics of the modified rotor linkages, but basically the entire linkage system was scratchbuilt with wire and styene.

Ray

Completed fuselage ready for decals. the paint is a custom mix I made to try and replicate the gloss OD seen on these early Alpha models.

PC270515_zpsnxm6q90o.jpg

Here are the decals I had planned on using form print scale.

PC270524_zpsguhliktn.jpg

However, it turned out they would curl up on themselves if they were lifted even slightly during placement so many of the markings are from either the original Hobby Boss kit or Joseph Osborn's Fireball Modelworks custom stencils he made for me. Plus the Print Scale tail rotor warning said this!

PC280526_zpspzrzlpgr.jpg

Here she is with most of the decals added.

PC280573_zpsha4txngd.jpg

PC280574_zpsylpcqzhz.jpg

And here's the finished model.

UH-1A-1_zpsu8n1vm4g.jpg

UH-1A-2_zpsmupqsip5.jpg

UH-1A-3_zpsucfr8g1p.jpg

UH-1A-4_zpsfxpeote0.jpg

Superb. 70.gif

I think it's the first time I see a UH-1A built too.

I do have a question about the main rotor.

Were those blades longer on the UH-1A? Or is the Italeri rotor too short for the B and C models it comes with?

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

Both the Italeri and Hobby Boss main rotors are too short. the UH-1A,B and C have a 44ft main rotor and the Italeri and Hobby Boss rotors are about 40 scale feet.

Ray

Stefan,

Both the Italeri and Hobby Boss main rotors are too short. the UH-1A,B and C have a 44ft main rotor and the Italeri and Hobby Boss rotors are about 40 scale feet.

Ray

Thanks for the reply, Ray.

I had a look at my 1/72 Hueys. The UH-1D has longer rotor blades. I believe that's an old Esci mould.

I had not noticed the different rotors before.

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks for the reply, Ray.

I had a look at my 1/72 Hueys. The UH-1D has longer rotor blades. I believe that's an old Esci mould.

I had not noticed the different rotors before.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stephan,

Yep, the UH-1D/H had 48ft main rotors. So you can either cut down a set of UH-1D/H blades or add to the Iatleri ones to get the correct 44 scale ft.

Ray