Space Shuttle Discovery STS-41D

Reposting photos.  This should be fun. :angry:

Hello all...

I wasn't going to start this project until Challenger was completed. But with the new upgrade for 1/144 shuttles from New Ware models, I can not help myself but getting started on it.

So here we go....Space Shuttle Discovery STS-41D. Her maiden voyage way back in 1984. This one will be built with Revell's reboot of the Launch Tower. Hopefully watching what Spaceman has put together, I have learned a thing or two.:worship:

Discovery STS41D (800x801)

Of course we have to always take a look at what comes out of the box and start to contemplate on what I will need to do to make this look as authentic as possible.

Discovery 1 (1024x768)

Discovery21024x768-th.jpg

And of course, what we all have been waiting for...New Ware's upgrade.

Discovery 11 (768x1024)

First thing I saw when I opened the box was five zip lock bags full of resin parts. A lot of them and a three page instruction pamphlet.

Discovery 12 (1024x768)

The instructions have great reference photos, but are somewhat vague on written material. I'm sure we can figure it out though. Especially with good pictures.

There are a hand full of styrene pieces that were included. A few of them will be placed on the booster segments that, for some reason, Revell did not mold on the kits.

Discovery 13 (1024x768)

Edited by egt95

The next package included a masking piece to mark the star tracker holes that will have some resin part applied too, a set of decals for the ET and SRB's, and a photo-etched piece that has a lot of parts to dress up the orbiter.

Discovery 14 (1024x768)

I was really hoping that the kit came with the middle tank. dry.gif Of course not. It's a wrap. Which mean sanding of the inner tank. But the resin piece looks perfect. The top piece must be instafoam for the SRB's.

Discovery 15 (1024x768)

The third package contains all of the pieces needed for the fuel lines. The brackets are just like those of what some of you created on your computers and can purchase from Shapeway's.

Discovery 16 (1024x768)

There are ramps, manhole covers, and struts for the ET as well as what the SRB motors are supposed to look like included.

Discovery 17 (1024x768)

The SSME's are very detailed. Much like those sold on Shapeway's and Real Space Models. There are replacement parts for the rear thrusters and instafoam for the skirts of the SRB's. The SSME plate does not fit well with the Revell kit. There need to be some modifications made to it or just us what Revell provides.

Discovery 18 (1024x768)

Edited by egt95

And last but not least. There was a package containing the SRB nozzles. These nozzles have good detail in them. Unlike what I did with Columbia's boosters, now all I have to do is just cut of what I don't need and glue the new ones on and paint.

Discovery 19 (1024x768)

Discovery 20 (1024x768)

The details are hard to see in the photos. But if you strain your eyes hard enough, you can see them. :whistle:

Well, that's all....Now we get to start on this. Oh, and did I mention that Hotdog is, again, going to provide some awesome decals for Discovery? :pray:

Enjoy, Mike.

Edited by egt95

The New Ware parts look great!

Is there any parts for the launch tower or the MLP provided?

No. Unfortunately this kit is geared for the orbiter, boosters, and the external tank. I think it would be a great idea if someone could come up with a resin kit that would fit nicely with LVM's photo-etched products.

Hello Mike,

first of all, congratulations, that you also want to use the legendary Revell Launch Tower Kit, and smiley205.gif to the Pad scratcher club. 

I hope you are aware, for this project you have to be tougher the he rest. :woot.gif:

Special thanks for your presentation the Newware Enhancement Kit, which looks pretty cool. :thumbsup:

One first question, how thin or thick are the Intertank parts? :hmmm:

Discovery151024x768-th.jpg

And now I wish you lots of fun and good luck. up040577.gif

BTW, what kind and scale of MLP are you planning? :hmmm:

Edited by spaceman

Wow! Did not expect to see SRB frustums and nozzles in the New Ware kit. This one is going to keep you busy for awhile! Looking forward to seeing this one come together. And I have not forgotten your decals, I will get them to you very soon!

No problem Hotdog. It'll be awhile before I start the decal process anyways. And yeah, I did not expect the frustrums and nozzles either and they are solid. Kind of heavy pieces.

Manfred. The intertank wrap is fairly thin, maybe possible about the size of some of the styrene sheets that I use, .020. I have had trouble in the past with adhering resin to plastic. I'm still trying to find the best adhesive other than apoxy to glue the pieces together. So we'll have to see how this works. Any ideas?

On the MLP and Tower? I plan on trying to stay as close to a 1/144 scale as possible. But I'm not sure how I'm going to attack this problem yet. I still go back and re-read your posts to get ideas of what I want to do. You have definitely set the standard and raised the bar high on how to scratch build the MLP and I'm watching closely at the way your are handling the RSS and FSS.

Mike

Manfred. The intertank wrap is fairly thin, maybe possible about the size of some of the styrene sheets that I use, .020. I have had trouble in the past with adhering resin to plastic. I'm still trying to find the best adhesive other than apoxy to glue the pieces together. So we'll have to see how this works. Any ideas?

On the MLP and Tower? I plan on trying to stay as close to a 1/144 scale as possible. But I'm not sure how I'm going to attack this problem yet. I still go back and re-read your posts to get ideas of what I want to do. You have definitely set the standard and raised the bar high on how to scratch build the MLP and I'm watching closely at the way your are handling the RSS and FSS.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

if you want to stay as close to a 1/144 scale as possible, then you can forget both the Revell Launch tower kit and all the LVM Detail kits. :woot.gif:

I'm just analyzing the scale problems of the Revell kit. The more one goes into detail, the more problems arise, what is really a vicious circle. :gr_devil::explode:

Edited by spaceman

I hear ya, Manfred.

As I have been overlooking the Revell kit and thinking about my approach on this, I will probably use it more as a reference and pull pieces that I could use on a scratch build product. One thing that I think we have going for us is the use of Evergreen Styrene products and all of the 3D printing applications that our fellow modelers have come up with. So once I can obtain exact dimensions on the service structures and platforms, then I can scale it down to were I want it. I have a feeling that I will need to buy stock into the Everygreen company.

This will be a fun project though. Your builds are definitely an inspiration. I also am impressed with Hotdog's way of putting together a quick platform as well.

:salute:/>

You could use the Educraft kit as a basis for a 1/144 launch tower and MLP. This would save you from having to look up every dimension and not have to start from total scratch. Sort of like how I did with my MLP

Edited by Hotdog

W-w-w-wow-w-w! That's a real big bag of goodies! New Ware's parts look terrific! :woot.gif:

And CA glue, works really nicely with Resin on Styrene ... either the Thin or Thick glues works nicely.

Thanx for posting the parts pix and keep posting your progress!

Pete

You could use the Educraft kit as a basis for a 1/144 launch tower and MLP. This would save you from having to look up every dimension and not have to start from total scratch. Sort of like how I did with my MLP

I've been thinking about doing that. I have this vision of using Educraft's kits and build two sets, one as the paper kit (for reference) and a total scratch build using parts from Revell's kit. Seems like a lot of work, but it will keep my busy and out of trouble. And I will have fun doing it. I just hope I can do as good of a job as Spaceman. Anyhow, I'll figure it out. One way or another.

Hello Mike,

you have a fantastic vision :thumbsup: and I don't want to dissuade you from your plans.

Then first try to build David Maier's Launch Pad in 1:144 as a reference and good training for a complex scratch build pad as next step. :coolio:

But as I've said, in the Revell kit only the Shuttle stack and some parts around the RSS-PCR are 1:144, everything else is a wild scale mix. :woot.gif:

Therefore, the Revell kit is no suitable parts supplier for a scratch build Pad close to 1:144. nono.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

dry.gif

Well....I very well may be over my head on this one. I received my copies of the 1/144 MLP and LC 39 from Educraft Diversions. I'm not sure if I can pull this off and have it turn out as detailed and good as Spaceman has done, but I'm going to give it a try. The plan is to totally scratch build the entire thing using Evergreen styrene products. I will also build the Educraft version along side of it for reference, and if it turns out good, I can put another stack with it. As for the Revell kit.:doh:/> I'll have to come up with something clever.

I'm really hoping this will be the best one yet. I've got a lot of extra's for Discovery and a really detailed decal kit that's being provided by Hotdog.

More to come....

Even though I've got a hand full of things going on at one time, I've managed to get a little more things together and done on Discovery.

Because this model is a product of Revell, I had to make a few minor changes on the wing panels. Discovery was the first orbiter to use the Advanced Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation instead of the white tiles on the wings. So I decided to sand down the molded lines that Revell processed in their molds and scribed in the lines to separate the blanket squares.

Discovery 5 (1024x768)

Discovery 7 (1024x768)

Discovery 6 (768x1024)

As you can see, there was some tricky areas where the wings curved and using a solid straight edge to keep the scribing in line. But it worked out.

Discovery 9 (768x1024)

Discovery 8 (1024x768)

After completing the wing panels, I started on the rudder/speed brake to scribe in the blankets.

Discovery 23 (1024x768)

Discovery 22 (1024x768)

And of course as luck would have it, Hotdog offers a set of his well detailed art of decals. :thumbsup:

Discovery 24 (1024x768)

Discovery 25 (768x1024)

So because the decal set shows the blanket separations, I had to throw together another orbiter. The one that had scribing done to it will be another orbiter some time down the road.

Discovery 26 (1024x768)

Until next time. :wave:

Edited by egt95

And of course as luck would have it, Hotdog offers a set of his well detailed art of decals.:thumbsup:/>/>/>

Are these decals available for purchase? I have been waiting but must have missed the announcement?

The decals are still a work-in-progress. I have most [but not all] tile and blanket areas done for the later orbiters. Still a ways to go on Columbia and Challenger (and Enterprise, I can't forget her). Mike asked if I could send him what I had, so I did.

The decal project is still alive, and I hope to be finishing them up in the months ahead.

Are these decals available for purchase? I have been waiting but must have missed the announcement?

I don't think so. I'm kind of his guinea pig for these decals, which are a fabulous piece of work. Hopefully when he gets these completed, he'll find a company to silk screen them.

Mike