Space Shuttle Discovery STS-41D

Again, Hello everyone....While I've been working on Challenger, I've also have been plugging away at Discovery.

These Revell shuttles are somewhat aggravating. Nothing really lines up. I've had to put on extra putty on the Payload Bay Doors to make them even. Now for the tedious job of sanding and shaping them. However, I think this is the first orbiter that I have had success with the windscreen.

Discovery 28 (768x1024)

And surfing ebay, I've managed to come across another set of decals for late era shuttle's.

Discovery 29 (768x1024)

They're good, but not as accurate or as great as Hotdog's decals.

:wave:

Edited by egt95

I agree, Hotdog's shuttle decals are the best and most accurate!

This seller(LCSP - cavallino1977) has some nice decals but he copies other work. The black tile decals he has are the same ones Ed Bisconti sold which were actually copies of the old Cutting Edge tile decals.

In fact this seller ((LCSP - cavallino1977)) is using my shuttle cockpit windows on his sheet. He just added some blue to the center. I don't think he actually knows how to design anything. He just copies other people's work. Please don't buy any more decals from him. I'd rather see everyone buying from Hotdog. Hotdog actually designs his own decals and he does amazing work.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

Continuing on Discovery every chance I get.

I've finally gotten the build up that I needed to even out the payload bay doors. Took a little while to sand and shape the putty to make it somewhat close. But I think I've got it.

Discovery 30 (768x1024) (2)

I also put the wings on and shaped the outter tips of the elevons. I also separated the elevons as Revell's molds cast them together.

Discovery 31 (768x1024)

Once all of that was done, it was time to start working on the rear bulkhead of the orbiter. Here's where we get to start playing with the items out of the New Ware Kit. I definately am going to be using these pieces. They hold a lot of good detail in them that should help make this build stand out better than the others.

Discovery 32 (1024x768)

Discovery 33 (1024x768)

As you can see, I had to do a litte adjusting on the model to make the aftermarket piece fit.

Discovery 34 (1024x768)

Discovery 35 (1024x768)

Discovery 36 (1024x768)

Discovery 37 (909x1024)

It fits rather nicely. Now it's time to glue it in and fill the seams. And of course, more sanding.

Edited by egt95

So finally I'm getting back to working on Discovery now.  Only after a year and a half of a hiatus, right?  Not only did I start a new job and had to go through vigorous training, I managed to rupture my ACL in my right knee.  It has only been recently that I've been up and going again.  And since I have been off of work for the past few months, I've been able to get things done and back to working on my model projects again.

So here we are.  The wings of Discovery are attached and the engine bulkhead has been glued and filled in with putty to cover the gaps.  I also cut the access molding off of the main engines and OMS thrusters.  They all have excellent detail in them.

Discovery 38 (1024x768)

Discovery 39 (1024x768)

Discovery 40 (1024x768)

Discovery 41 (1024x768)

What a big difference between the Revell molds and the New Ware kits.  They look really impressive.

Edited by egt95

Thanks Pete.

It has been some time since I really have posted anything until this last week.  I had forgotten exactly where I was on this build.  So some of my photos may be out of sequence.  So here are a few photos that I recently downloaded from my IPhone. 

You can really see how the New Ware bulkhead fitted in with a little putty behind it to smooth out all of the wrinkles.

Discovery 42 (1024x768)

Discovery 43 (1024x938)

Discovery 44 (1024x875)

Apparently somewhere in the mess of pictures, I lost a photo.  I had attached the OMS pods and the aft RCS panels.  I then masked the orbiter up and gave it it's first shot of white paint.

Discovery 49 (768x1024)

Somehow some of the paint ran and there are a few areas in which I need to sand down then put on another coat.

So that is were Discovery sits at the present time.

If I remember correctly, I explained at the beginning of this build that it was going to be built with the entire launch pad.  This build is probably going to roll on for years (It has started with 2).

There is going to be a lot of trial and error going on with tower and the launch pad.  Thankfully Manfred's (Spaceman) launch pad build has, not only been and inspiring one to watch, but one that makes every modeler want to try and accomplish. And it comes with as a bit of a tutorial on how to build such a detailed model.  I probably won't be able the reach the high bar that he has set in his build, but I will try to get as much detail into my as well.

Like Manfred, I purchased both the LC39 and Launch Platform paper kit from EDU-Craft Dimensions.  I will build it in the 1/144 scale as it is a very good reference and not too much of a brain buster to figure out the dimensions.  (Oh and did I mention that I was going to scratch build it out of styrene?):crying:

At some point I taped together portions of the Revell launch tower just to see what it was going to look like and to see the difference in the actual size between what it is and what the 1/144 scale should be. 

Discovery 46 (768x1024)

The true 1/144 scale is about 2 inches taller and the level platforms are about 1/4 of an inch wider.  For more reference, see Spaceman's Challenger build at the beginning for size difference.

I have been tinkering with the platforms of the tower for a few days now and how I want to build them.  Looking at the platforms from the paper model, there's some detail that I would like to put into them. 

Discovery 50 (768x1024)

The platform itself is easy.  Slap a piece of styrene in and call it a day.  But that's not what we want.  So, I am going to use aluminum door screen.  It's cheap and you can buy it in a roll.  One roll should make thousands of platforms, but we only need 12.  The 13th platform is solid therefore, a piece of flat styrene will work.

I have tried a few different method to see how this might work out.  I put together a section of the edu-craft pieces, cut out a styrene piece and used a piece of fiberglass door screen. 

Discovery 55 (768x1024)

As of now I like the door screen the best.  But I'll need to purchase some aluminum screen because the fiberglass mesh is too small.  But the concept is good.

As I was looking at the bottom portion of the platform, I was having problems trying to figure out where the beams are.  I plan on using I and U channel beam from styrene for the support structure on the flooring.

At this point I became an architect.  I got out my grid paper, pencil and rulers to eyeball were the I beams are placed.  There is also an area that a ladder-well needs to be fitted into. 

Discovery 57 (768x1024)

Hopefully this goes well.  I need to head to the hobby shop in the morning to get various sizes of I beams and a few extra sheets of flat styrene.

I'm definitely in over my head on this one.

Mike.  :hmmm:

Hello Mike,

and thanks for bringing your thread to life again by re-posting your images, that's really the best what you can do. :worship:

And I'm totally standing in awe for your plan scratch-building the Launch pad in 1:144 by using Styrene. eek.gif

I think, that will be an exciting story, I will follow attentively. lesen1.gif

If I would build the Pad once again, I would also do it like that, maybe in my next life ... top.gif

BTW, a similar project Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39A with Discovery STS-41D my true friend Thomas was building, who unfortunately died much too early last year. :hmmm:

Edited by spaceman

Well, this is probably a crazy idea.  But seeing what I have in the forum, this scratch building concept could turn out really good. 

I started building the Fixed Service Structure out of styrene.  I also ordered bulk pieces that should be here within the next few days.  I also wandered down to the hobby shop and bought a few packages of I beams and square tubing to get me started. 

So here is what I've been able to carefully piece together so far....

I purchased some aluminum door screen for the flooring on the platforms.  The mesh weave is still a bit too big, but it'll do.  It was easy to cut and secure the ends so it did not try to unravel. 

Discovery 58 (768x1024)

Not too bad.  Then I began to build the flooring supports.  After I put the main beams together, I could no longer continue gluing some of the shorter beams on without the actual frame.  Therefore, I had to start building the main part of the FSS.

I'm going to build the structure from the bottom up. (Makes sense as buildings are built that way in real life).:rolleyes: But instead of trying to put it together all at one time, I will build it in sections.  The square tubing will allow for me to feed into each other while adding strength to the support.

Ground level and platform level 2.

Discovery 59 (768x1024)

Then I cut out pieces to use as the support girders. 

Discovery 60 (768x1024)

At the footings, I scabbed out square pieces to connect the pipes from the second level beam to the footing of the ground level support legs.

Discovery 61 (768x1024)

Discovery 62 (768x1024)

Then began to place them in position and secure them.

Discovery 63 (768x1024)

Discovery 64 (768x1024)

One side done, many more to go.  After I completed the support tubing, I place in position and secured the floor support beams to continue working on the floor. 

Discovery 65 (768x1024)

Now I will be able to work on both the supports for the legs and the floors beams.

Mike. :thumbsup:

Edited by egt95

Hi Mike,

this looks like a brave start, keep it up! :thumbsup:

For the construction and building of the FSS Framework, the templates of David Maier's Paper Kit are a great help. 

What kind and size of wire mesh do you use for the floor platforms and how do you want to build the stairs? :hmmm:

Thanks Manfred. 

This scratch building thing can test the patience a little. However, I am pleased with how it’s going so far. I did receive my styrene bulk today, but the sizes were incorrect. I’ll be able to use what I’ve got for smaller sizes. 

The wire mesh measures at 1mm grid. It will work.  I have been looking for something around .5 mm. 

Since I like torturing myself with scratching, I figured that I will add a little photo etching to the project too. I built a 1/350 Trumpeter U.S. aircraft carrier using photo etch for safety railing and netting. I got good at it.  For the stairs, I plan on taking a page out of your friend’s build (I’m really sorry for your loss) and use photo etch stairs. 

Time to go web surfing for those. 

Mike. 

Edited by egt95
11 hours ago, egt95 said:

The wire mesh measures at 1mm grid. It will work.  I have been looking for something around .5 mm. 

Hi Mike,

if you are planning to scratch everything in 1/144, then you should keep in mind that a mesh size of 1 mm is far too big for the platform grids. :rolleyes:

Through these meshes of 144 mm x 144 mm your feet would fit through, Watch out! eek.gif

In this context, I remember a story of my friend James MacLaren, who worked there during the construction of the Pad 39B.  There was once a journalist who had a lot of problems during a pad tour because she was wearing high heels. 00000016.gif

But joke aside, I have determined the mesh size of the rectangular grid from the shoe size of this guy in this image here, which should be about 0.7 mm x 0.2 mm for 1/144. top.gif

fo6lVc.jpg

Source: NASA

That's why something around 0,5 mm would be better already. :thumbsup:

But if you're a photo etch freak, as you said, maybe you could etch the matching grid too, right? up040577.gif 

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, Hotdog.  I actually think I have found something that will probably work.

Continuing on with my scratch task, I kept running into a couple of SNAFU's.  I glued some of the beams to the wrong side of the elevator shaft in which I had to remove and re-glue new beams to. 

I have also started to put together one of my two Revell towers.  Mostly to give my self a little change up while building from scratch.  But also to show the difference in size from the various scales that Revell put together in the kit and would it should actually look like in a 1/144 scale.

Meanwhile, I gave the orbiter another coat of paint to hide some of the initial blemishes.  I covered them up well, but I think I may have left some of the masking tape on way too long as it pealed off some of the primer on the aft bulkhead.  It's not a big deal since it will all be covered up with decals.  Another issue I had was that I accidentally pushed on the overhead windows and it dislodged a little bit.   Therefore, I'll have to go back and glue in some styrene, fill with putty and repaint. 

Discovery 67 (1024x768)

Discovery 68 (1024x768)

Discovery 70 (1024x768)

I really did like the way the New Ware replacement piece turned out.  It has good detail and the body flap is fixed unlike the Revell kit.

I finished with the structural beams on the 1st platform.  I will finish with the lower part of the elevator shaft then place the floor on and take it to the paint booth to see how it will look painted.  I also need to start adding the stair case to the structure, but I'm still torn between on scratch building the stairs or buying sets from Plastruct or Gold Medals Models.

Discovery 72 (1024x768)

I found a roll of fiberglass door screen at the Home Depot.  The mesh squares are less than .05 mm.  and adhere to the styrene beams using CA glue.  The picture below shows a test run of the floor joists.  They do not come off.

Discovery 74 (1024x768)

Discovery 73 (1024x768)

Well, until next time.  Hopefully soon I'll get this portion painted.  I just received my airbrush paint kit and will have to run some test patterns.

Mike.

Manfred. 

At first I thought the same thing about the screen. And then I painted it yesterday. To me, the screen took the paint well and looks pretty good. I’ll get a photo of it up sometime today. 

I would've rather used the PE products from LMV Studios, but it is scaled to the Revell kit, it’s kind of expensive and right now not available. I had checked into only buying the portion with the tower. 

Oh oh and I meant “less than .5mm.”  Thanks for catching that. 

Mike. 

Edited by egt95

Hi Mike,

sorry, but what is 0,5 mm, the width of one mesh in square?  On the other hand, the strands already seem to be about 1 mm ... hmmm.gif

And how thick or how high is this stuff, which looks so rough? 

No offence, Mike, but my hair is standing on end, if you want to use this fly screen for the Tower floors ...erschrocken3.gif

This is Stainless Steel Wire Mesh, 40 Mesh, Wire Diameter 0,01 in and should be suitable better for 1:144.

s_s-40_0100246awebready_1.jpg

BTW, you are right, the LVM Detail kits are unfortunately scaled to the scale mix of the Revell Launch Tower kit.  smiley_worship.gif

Think about it again, but do whatever you want. up040577.gif

Manfred.  That 40 micron mesh screen would work perfectly.  I'll see if I can get my hands on some to see how it would work.

In the meantime... I used the screen that I have and gave it the first section a coat of grey paint using my new airbrush kit.  It worked well.  One day I'll have to practice on becoming a master airbrusher and work on small details as well as weathering.

But for now I used it on my platform. 

Discovery 75 (1024x768)

Discovery 76 (1024x768)

I think the paint made it look better than it was when it was black.  Another thing I noticed is on the top of the beams, the paint did not quite make it up there.  So on the next run, I'll paint the beams before securing the floor.

But all in all, I'm happy with what I came up with. 

Mike

Edited by egt95
On 2/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, egt95 said:

Manfred.  That 40 micron mesh screen would work perfectly.  I'll see if I can get my hands on some to see how it would work.

In the meantime... I used the screen that I have and gave it the first section a coat of grey paint using my new airbrush kit.  It worked well.  One day I'll have to practice on becoming a master airbrusher and work on small details as well as weathering.

But for now I used it on my platform. 

Discovery 75 (1024x768)

Discovery 76 (1024x768)

I think the paint made it look better than it was when it was black.  Another thing I noticed is on the top of the beams, the paint did not quite make it up there.  So on the next run, I'll paint the beams before securing the floor.

But all in all, I'm happy with what I came up with. 

Mike

What size square beams and I beams are you using in the corner of the FSS for your build?

I’m not near my hobby room so I’m gonna give it a go from memory. If I remember correctly, the post tubes and the main I beams are about 4 mm. I was going to use 6 mm on both, but I found that they are too big. 4 mm are about right but a whisker too small. Close enough according to the layout provided by the EDU-craft Dimensions.  Some of the supporting sub beams are 3 mm and the smaller beams are about 2 mm. That allows me to place in the tubes that zig-zag the outer portion of the platform. 

Mike. 

I was able to get my hand on a reissued kit a few days ago and I’m wondering if I want to cut the kit up and extend it the 2 inches that it needs to be or just scratch build the whole FSS. I know the width difference is a 1/4 of an inch but I don’t know if I’m going to add on to the width of it or not. 

Good luck to you in how you want to tackle this project. I hope you post your progress. I’m interested to see what/how you use the Revell kit. I chose to scratch build for the challenge.  Manfred (Spaceman) kind of inspired me to do so. 

I thought about using the kit also but thought since I would have to put in some scratch build, I might as well just scratch it in all. I bought the paper model for reference as it is a true 144 scale.