There's a Vietnam Group Build and almost no helos!

Too bad I'm currently stuck in a no modelling mode(wife, baby, rental etc..) until at least middle of next year when I move or I'll be in with at least a Huey. Still my fav modelling time period.

All I can do now is salivate, research and collect :crying2: Oh and post on ARC :unsure:

What a shame, but not only in this, but in the whole modelling world, helo modelling is very poor in all aspects, maybe its because we dont have so much options? The most common i see on model shows and what people get most of their interest are the WWII german aircraft.

I love building mostly all type of aircraft, but my one and only favourite subject are helos.

Rod.

Good idea, need more twirly things. My uncle in Cal. use to work for Hiller.

He sent my older brother some info on Hiller in late 60s when he graduated

high school and went to college.Nice pics of Hillers helicopters. Baiting him

to go to west coast from New England.Didn't work. Anyways if I can find a 1/144

HH-3 Jolly I might consider it for my second entry, put F-4J on back burner. I

have already built the Revell Huey gunship back when it came out around '69 or '70.---John

I started a UH-1C mid-August. I haven't done much other that a lot of dry fit, some work to pose it in-flight and general hackery of the figures.

If its eligible , I'll be happy to join.

Cheers,

Matt

I started a UH-1C mid-August. I haven't done much other that a lot of dry fit, some work to pose it in-flight and general hackery of the figures.

If its eligible , I'll be happy to join.

Cheers,

Matt

I'm not the moderator of the GB, Matt, but it sounds like it fits the rules. i say post away.

Ray

I have a Monogram cobra waiting in the wings. What needs to be done to it to make a Vietnam era bird?

Nothing. The question is which kit is it. If it's 1/72 or 1/32 (says Huey Cobra or AH-1G) your good to go. If it's 1/48 (says AH-1F/S), your a no go.

Only AH-1G's and USMC AH-1J's flew in Vietnam.

Ray

AH-1G:

AH-1G.jpg

AH-1J:

AH-1T_SeaCobra_with_AGM-122_Sidearm_at_China_Lake_1981.JPEG

Hi,

The Huey Cobra AH-1G only seen in combat action in country during entire of the war! It was ceased when the present of SA-7 heat seeking missile in the battle around 1972 or so...

The AH-1J Sea Cobra only seen in action during Operation Frequent Wind, it was the final phase in the evacuation of American civilians and "at-risk" Vietnamese from Saigon, South Vietnam in Apr/1975

Your 2nd picture look like more than an AH-1T to me, here're some reference between them!

ah1j-i.jpg

bell_ah-1w.gif

Fujimi released a 1/48 and 1/72 AH-1J Sea Cobra while back if I remember right:

Cobra1-H47.jpg

Cheer!

let_models :)

Edited by let_models

The USMC flew AH-1G's in Vietnam beginning in 1969. The evaluations of the aircraft were good however the USMC needed additional capability and had the AH-1J developed for them. These entered service in in Vietnam in February of 1971. HMA-369 entered service with AH-1J's in June of 1972 in operation MARHUK, which ended in January of 1973. The US Army flew AH-1G's until January 1973.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Hi,

The Huey Cobra AH-1G only seen in combat action in country during entire of the war! It was ceased when the present of SA-7 heat seeking missile in the battle around 1972 or so...

The AH-1J Sea Cobra only seen in action during Operation Frequent Wind, it was the final phase in the evacuation of American civilians and "at-risk" Vietnamese from Saigon, South Vietnam in Apr/1975

Your 2nd picture look like more than an AH-1T to me, here're some reference between them!

Cheer!

let_models smile.gif

You are correct. That middle bird I posted is in fact a AH-1T slick. I wasn't looking carefully enough. As Chris says, the AH-1G flew in Vietnam right up till the end of US combat operations. The "toilet bowl" exhaust was added to combat heat seeking missiles on late war AH-1Gs and UH-1s. Here are a few pics of AH-1Js during Operation MARHUK in 72. These were taken by Rob Mignard of HMA 369 birds. I would think the Zunis would be an interesting addition to a kit if one wanted to build one.

Ray

AH-1JHMA-369MARHUK03.jpg

AH-1JHMA-369MARHUK04.jpg

Here's a better comparison between the J and the slick T.

Ugliest shark mouth I ever saw on a AH-1J:

marhukCobra.jpg

Slick nose AH-1T again. The noticeable difference is the lengthened tail and main rotor blade of the T. The T and later AH-1W used essentially the same rotor as the Bell 214. By the way, this pic was atken at CHina Lake in 1981.

AH-1T_SeaCobra_with_AGM-122_Sidearm_at_China_Lake_1981.JPEG