ICM 1/48 Ju-88A5

Quit Hijacking my thread about the ICM Ju-88 do your own about the Hurricane.

Can the owners please delete them so those of us on the subject of Ju-88 don't have to shuffle through all the off subject tripe.

I like the Hurricane as much as the next guy and maybe even more, But it is not the topic here and is taking up more than 60% of this thread. Please move these posts to their own dedicated thread.

I definitely plan on buying one of these new ICM Ju-88s I also emailed them and asked about the C6-C and the S versions. I think, by their response, they will be releasing more variants. I do have I found out 4 of the Dragon / Revell kits in my stash. They are the (3x) C-6 and the (1x) A-4 versions. I also have one of the Fw-190 Mistle versions which I bought just for parts to scavenge the engines to build an S from one of the C-6 versions. Are these even worth Building? Or should I put them on eBay? The ICM kit is not cheap. They are selling from $40-$80 including shipping. Hannans has them for the least at this time at $34+ shipping I might be able to get one for about $30 including shipping from the Ukraine when they are available there.

Edited by Otto

I have both ICM and Dragon. In some areas ICM is better, in others better Dragon. And Dragon's fuselage is about 2-2.5 mm wider especially in tail area. Now I'm making some detail/correction sets for ICM kit.

Sergey.

2.5mm is a lot. Was the fuselage not almost as deep as it was wide on the 88? Thinning out the fuse should not be much of an issue. I have done it on quite a bit of other kits and don't mind this kind of correction work. In your opinion, what are the most obvious flaws of the kit? We have already mentioned the wing tips but I cant determine if we are talking wing airfoil ratio thickness or cord width.

Actually I'm not sure which kit have correct width. As to the ICM flaws, the exhaust pipes are wrong for A-5 (they gave the same pipes as for A-4), spinners are not quite correct, they should be more pointed, radiator faces are bad, just flat plates. It's the most obvious, may be some other, but I had not time to inspect the kit closer.

Sergey.

The ICM kit is not cheap. They are selling from $40-$80 including shipping. Hannans has them for the least at this time at $34+ shipping I might be able to get one for about $30 including shipping from the Ukraine when they are available there.

I bought mine in Moscow for less than $20.

Sergey.

Edited by KSL

this is why I am going to wait until it is available from my favorite web store in the Ukraine. I will not pay Western prices for it. Just like their Spitfires and Mustangs, which I buy for about $8. Out here they still want about $18 for them.

Pricing in Germany: The lowest I have seen is at € 26,95, the highest at € 48,95. The most shops offer the kit at € 32 to € 35.

Measuring: As far as I know Dragon/DML once worked from drawings. The 32nd scale kit from Revell was extensively researched from a Norwegian museum plane and remains in Hungary. So this particular kit SHOULD be CLOSEST to the original - also in respect of the design work of one of the most talented designers on the globe. But we all know this is not a guarantee.

I wonder if there are any original section drawings with measurements.

Andreas Beck

• 3 weeks later...

this is why I am going to wait until it is available from my favorite web store in the Ukraine. I will not pay Western prices for it. Just like their Spitfires and Mustangs, which I buy for about $8. Out here they still want about $18 for them.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your web store in Ukraine? And dies it still end up being cheaper after shipping to the USA? I ask because I think ICM is hitting the ball out of the park with their new releases, and am wanting to get my hands on a few at a decent price.

But I watched a few reviews online, and the A-5 looks very nice. So does their new Do 17Z-2. And they within the last week or two put out a 1/48 I-153 didn't they?

I buy much of my models from. ModelsUA.com. http://modelsua.com/home.php , and yes even with the postage it is much less expensive to buy from them than to buy in the US. I buy almost exclusively from the Ukraine, Czech republic and UK. I also buy a few detail items from a eBay store in California but only US made stuff which he is very reasonable on. I have given up on Squadron and Sprue Brothers. The Chinese kits are ridiculous in the US because Stevens Int. has the exclusive on the Import rights and is making silly hi profits at our expense. I have all but given up on buying Chinese kits because of multiple reasons and price is only one of those. The rest I will not get into for obvious reasons.

ModelsUA has prices listed, which drop drastically once you place an order from him and you are on his mailing list. After that when you log onto his website you will se the difference in price. I found that over the time as i have bought more from Ivan the prices drop more and more. The postage from the Ukraine is the most reasonable which I have seen. I ask him to brake down the boxes to optimize the Size vs. Mass of the package and that saves on postage even more. Ivan is a absolote Pleasure to do business with. The only drawback on ordering from him which do not bother me at all because of all the other benefits, is that sometimes I have to wait a wile for him to get the kits and other supplies in stock. Once he ships I have the package in about 5-10 days at most. Ivan is a very easy guy to deal with and a pleasure for me to give him my business. Every once in a while I ask if there is something he can get for me which he has not in his store, and he performs his best to do so. The same goes for my Czech suppler. If it wasn't for Hobbyshop.CZ, I would not own any Eduard kits at all. Hannants in the UK is my third choice for my supplies. OK now you know my three sources where I get 97? of my plastic model supplies.

Edited by Otto