Moving to Indianapolis

I'll be moving to Indy soon from Michigan. Probably second half of October. What do I need to know? I'll be living on the north side, south of 465 (on the White River).

Have at it.

Your going to love the traffic patterns up there. Hamilton County is a well known speed trap area (nationally known). What you need to know about is simply the crime rate. That's why everybody is moving out of Indy, and heading south. Schools in Indy are really bad, and with kids this is important.

gary

Only know a few people that spent time in Indy (on business, no more then a few months). The consensus was very limited things to do in the area, most of Indy is an armpit. You can find better areas further out of town but even less options for enjoying yourself. Oh, and it's flat.

Good luck...

Edited by 11bee

So no good things? Guess I'll have to find something to do there on my off days.

The shopping and dining scene seemed pretty nice in the areas we looked. We will be in a gated community.

Aaron

Certainly there are good things. As for an American city, it is quiet. I didn't live there, the former company I worked for headquarters is there. My first year with that company had me complete 26 weeks of training in Indy. So I spent half a year there.

In subsequent years, I spent 6-8 weeks in training. So I feel I have grown to know the area.

I thought there were a descent number of hobby shops. As you mentioned, there is great shopping there. The mall downtown is very nice. I'd like the one in the North, with the Lego store.

Professional sports tickets are easy to get. There are great restaraunts all over town. Lots of micro breweries. The airport is likely the nicest and most modern in Norh America, although it is small.

The Indy 500 is a blast, lots of events surrounding it. I liked their museum too. The children's museum is great for kids. Their IPMS Chapter has a great group of guys, many post here. I am sure they will pipe in.

My cousin lives there, so I still make it back there occasionally. He moved from Scotland and loves it for its simplicity.

Only know a few people that spent time in Indy (on business, no more then a few months). The consensus was very limited things to do in the area, most of Indy is an armpit. You can find better areas further out of town but even less options for enjoying yourself. Oh, and it's flat.

Good luck...

Must have never been there. Even on a bad day it's better in every way than your place, and trust me I've been there several times.

gary

Hey-

I have heard the craft beer scene is pretty good.

So you have that going for you.

Phil

every where you turn there s a new brew pub. A lot of wineries all over the place. Once you get around you will find out that there are many places to dine. Some are really good and some are like the four and five star joints in the east that are way over rated. There seems to be a festival going on most every weekend, and after a few months you'll start picking up on them. There's a lot of musical interest in Indiana. Everything from blue grass to classical. Lots of jazz downtown and uptown. Indy is probably the race car capitol of the country, and during the warm months they're racing somewhere close by. Moving to Indiana, and going thru your first summer. You'll soon discover how bad the food is elsewhere (real bad). The best beef anywhere comes from Indiana, as well as the best pork. You've never ate a tomato till you had one from Indiana. Sweet corn like nobody else has!

Still most of all, we watch all the businesses pack up and move to Indiana. We see new ones every week. Lower taxes, and lower utilities are prime.

gary

Must have never been there. Even on a bad day it's better in every way than your place, and trust me I've been there several times.

gary

Actually I was in Indy for a week on a short job. I didn't feel that gave me enough time to fully rate the place so that is why I just passed on the comments of some co-workers who were out there much longer. If it helps, from the time I spent, I would be quite content if I never have to return. Not a horrible place, been in much worse but nothing really going for it either. Just my $0.02 but note that I'm a salt water addict, can't live anywhere that is more than a few miles from the coast, so that tends to skew my rating system a bit.

Also, if it helps, the guys whose comments I passed on don't live in my neck of the woods. One's from MI, the rest are all good ole southern boys. They travel a great deal more than me and all of them had the same assessment of Indy.

Edited by 11bee

Actually I was in Indy for a week on a short job. I didn't feel that gave me enough time to fully rate the place so that is why I just passed on the comments of some co-workers who were out there much longer. If it helps, from the time I spent, I would be quite content if I never have to return. Not a horrible place, been in much worse but nothing really going for it either. Just my $0.02 but note that I'm a salt water addict, can't live anywhere that is more than a few miles from the coast, so that tends to skew my rating system a bit.

Also, if it helps, the guys whose comments I passed on don't live in my neck of the woods. One's from MI, the rest are all good ole southern boys. They travel a great deal more than me and all of them had the same assessment of Indy.

taking this from out of towners that went to the Super Bowl, and various conventioneers that come and go. Downtown Indy has one thing going for it, and that is that everything is accessible. Then you get bored and head north to Broad Ripple, or south to Fountain Square (up and coming area). I seldom head to Broad Ripple unless I going to the Kitchen. Parking becomes an issue up there. Southport and the Garfield Park area will be the next big expansion.

I live in Old Town Greenwood, and maybe two minutes into Johnson County. We have very little crime, and some pretty low tax rates. Greenwood and Center Grove schools are rated amongst the very best out there. We laugh at the surrounding states, and don't know why any fool would want to live in New Yak or Boston. If you gotta have salt water, then think about the southeast (I love Savanna Georgia).

gary

Or move north to the beautiful lakefront!!! Love that I have grew up and still live on the south shore of Lake Michigan in Indiana!!

Was in Indy/Greenwood for a wedding yesterday, spend a lot of time down there because of the craft beer scene and I have lots of friends and family there. Have never had an issue, and like anything else, just know your surroundings and where you're at!! The winters will be a tad bit milder for you, depending on where you're coming from in MI.

Or move north to the beautiful lakefront!!! Love that I have grew up and still live on the south shore of Lake Michigan in Indiana!!

Was in Indy/Greenwood for a wedding yesterday, spend a lot of time down there because of the craft beer scene and I have lots of friends and family there. Have never had an issue, and like anything else, just know your surroundings and where you're at!! The winters will be a tad bit milder for you, depending on where you're coming from in MI.

you guys measure snow by the foot, and we whine if it's over four inches! Worst thing right now is the road work going on all over the place. I-65 is flat dangerous right now, and I stay off it going south till Whiteland. Bet you went to the Oaken Barrel on Main Street in Greenwood. There's a place in Bargersville that is much better, but most people don't know about it yet. The Oaken Barrel is great food, but their beer is OK at best.

gary