Thanks Ray, those are pretty cool pictures. Greatly appreciate them.

Some pretty unique Hueys, A few observations -

- Looks like these helos might have the APR-39 radar warning antennas fitted. Most Army UH-1's just had sheet metal covers over the antenna openings. The covers were painted with the same CARC as the rest of the helo. These Hueys look like they have the actual antennas fitted. If so, very uncommon.

I believe those definitely are the actual APR-39 antennas, yes.

- I assume that one Huey had a replacement greenhouse panel fitted (although it looks like a second machine has something similar)? I saw pics like that of Vietnam Hueys, no time to paint the frame, it was just installed as is. Never saw a modern US Army UH-1 look like that.

In Vietnam it was not uncommon at all to see greenhouse, chin bubble and windshield fairings that were unpainted. It almost always meant the bird had taken a round though the window and it had been replaced.

- What is that grey antenna on the cabin roof of that one Huey?

I believe you are talking about the VHF blade antenna, John.

- It looks like these Hueys have some sort of light-ish colored fitting directly below the pilot's door. Any idea what that is?

That is one of several NVG position lights. they are an almost opaque white.

- What's up with the crude "US" in the cargo door windows? Only thing I can think of was that this was used after Col Pickett's UH-1 was shot down, maybe as a way to differentiate US Hueys from Salvadoran machines? You would think they would have painted on a US flag or something a bit more visible?

Got nuthin'. Sounds good to me.

- Same unit, different interior seating configurations. One has the troop seats in line with the gunner's seats, the other has the more common configuration.

Got nuthin' again.

- Looks like the tip of the lower wire strike fitting is painted a different color - maybe orange?

Yep, they definitely look orange. Unfortunately, the original I have is as blurry as these scans so it's a bit hard to tell.

Thanks again for posting these Ray, you da man!

Happy to help, John.

So.... any tidbits on a new Huey model? My US-2 Tracker is finally done after > 2 years of work. I'm definitely ready for a new project.

Alas, sir, no new intel at this time.

Thanks Ray, never knew UH-1's were fitted with those NVG position lights. You learn something new every day here on ARC.

Were they just mounted below the doors or in other spots as well? Any details?

Regards,

John

I know of 5 different NVG position lights. 1 under each cockpit door, 1 above each jump door and one under the normal position light on the tail. Also, if you want to get really picky, on NVG capable birds, the normal red and green lights were partially painted over to keep them from shining in the cabin. I believe the actual specs call for 54% of the light to be painted over, but surely no one actually measured it.

Flatiron UH-1V tail showing the NVG light (below normal position light):

PICT5527_zpsygpmwjso.jpg

Here's another pic showing the other two NVG light locations under the cockpit doors and above the jump doors.

PICT5484_zpswinxxdto.jpg

Here's a closeup of an NVG light from Len Lundh.

UH-1H%2068-15691%20belly_zpshoplrdej.jpg

Here's a partially painted over normal position light on a UH-1V. All of these are on the Rotorwash Long Cabin Huey DVD, by the way.

PICT7159_zpsqdxlqqmj.jpg

Hope that helps.

Ray

I know of 5 different NVG position lights. 1 under each cockpit door, 1 above each jump door and one under the normal position light on the tail. Also, if you want to get really picky, on NVG capable birds, the normal red and green lights were partially painted over to keep them from shining in the cabin. I believe the actual specs call for 54% of the light to be painted over, but surely no one actually measured it.

Flatiron UH-1V tail showing the NVG light (below normal position light):

Great info, thank you Ray. All those years that I thought I knew everything about the Huey, never noticed these features. Do you happen to know if the navigation lights over the cargo door would also have had their lower surfaces painted over or was it just the one in your pic above?

With regard to your DVD, rest assured that this is on my to-purchase list. Once I know that we are getting closer to a release of that new Huey, I'll begin the research stage of my project.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Great info, thank you Ray. All those years that I thought I knew everything about the Huey, never noticed these features. Do you happen to know if the navigation lights over the cargo door would also have had their lower surfaces painted over or was it just the one in your pic above?

With regard to your DVD, rest assured that this is on my to-purchase list. Once I know that we are getting closer to a release of that new Huey, I'll begin the research stage of my project.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer all these questions.

The light over the cargo door does have it's lower surface painted, but the on on the top of the cabin is unaltered.

Ray

UH-1H%2068-15691%20roof%205_zps3ujpygtb.jpg

DSC_7195%20close_zpspaoyfvr4.jpg

- Looks like the tip of the lower wire strike fitting is painted a different color - maybe orange?

Ones I've seen up close stateside were painted red on the pointy end. What appears to be somewhat orange may just be desaturated red due to the quality of the photo.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

John,

I found these two pics of UH-1Hs from B Co. 4-228th in El Salvador from Dan McClinton. Rod reminded me that I should post these for you because they have the ALQ-144. Hope they are of interest.

Ray

Huey%2082%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zps69awk44t.jpg

Huey%2083%20UH-1H%20B%20Co.%204-228th%20El%20Salvador%20Dan%20McClinton_zpscvrlc2zr.jpg

One other question on these cool Hueys - it's hard for me to tell from looking at these on my phone but are they equipped with the GPS antenna on the top wire cutter? Can't see it clearly enough, in one picture it looks like there is something mounted down low but it's tough to make it out. If not, anyone know when that mod came into service and what the display looked like on the IP?

Edited by 11bee

John, they dont have the GPS antenna, i think they were installed in the mid 90s,(correct me if im wrong). And yes, this hueys had the APR-39 installed, check the black tips on the nose mountings, those are the antennas.

Will you build one of these John?

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

We had the GPS installed in 1991 during preparation for ODS. These were commercial units and the display could be installed in the lower left side of the instrument panel, on the top of the glareshield on the left side or along the left side of the console next to the CP's knee.

Chris M.

The wire strike mounted GPS units started showing up on the Hueys in Operation Desert Shield. Most did not have them, but there were a number of them that did. Its funny, because units like the 6/101 didnt have them on theirs but the Tex NG had them. No rhyme or reason.

Sure looks like there might be some sort of antenna on the wire strike blade of the Huey in the lower picture. Could just be my crappy eyes though. Believe that the helos in the picture are circa 91-92 to maybe it's possible timeframe-wise. Did the location on the blade vary, because the blob I think I might see is lower than the GPS installation on other Hueys.

Rod - as far as building this Huey, I'm leaning towards this option. I really like somewhat unique subjects and this helo is a bit more "interesting" than your average vanilla-standard US Army UH-1H.

All depends on whether we will be getting that new-tool kit anytime soon. From Ray's previous post, it doesn't sound very promising.

Sure looks like there might be some sort of antenna on the wire strike blade of the Huey in the lower picture. Could just be my crappy eyes though. Believe that the helos in the picture are circa 91-92 to maybe it's possible timeframe-wise. Did the location on the blade vary, because the blob I think I might see is lower than the GPS installation on other Hueys.

Rod - as far as building this Huey, I'm leaning towards this option. I really like somewhat unique subjects and this helo is a bit more "interesting" than your average vanilla-standard US Army UH-1H.

All depends on whether we will be getting that new-tool kit anytime soon. From Ray's previous post, it doesn't sound very promising.

John, the pic is from 91 i believe. I thought there was a GPS on the Wire strike blade as well, but looking closer, I think it's the pitot you are seeing.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

As far as I knew there were only to places they wee mounted. The top wire strike and the cabin roof, just behind and next to the wire strike. I think on the left side. This was how my 255 was set up.

Every aircraft in my unit that had them installed had the GPS antenna on the WSP, a bracket was attached to the left outside of the WSP blade and the antenna attached to the plate. The display had a bracket that could be screwed to the open space of the lower left instrument panel. All of ours were this way. The instructions for mounting had two authorized alternate places, the glareshield and the console side.

Chris M

Every aircraft in my unit that had them installed had the GPS antenna on the WSP, a bracket was attached to the left outside of the WSP blade and the antenna attached to the plate. The display had a bracket that could be screwed to the open space of the lower left instrument panel. All of ours were this way. The instructions for mounting had two authorized alternate places, the glareshield and the console side.

Chris M

Not sure why 255's was placed on the roof, but it was. That was the only one I have seen like it. The rest were on the Wire Strike.

Or it was one of the first to get it and they mounted it wrong? I don't know. I am trying to find a pic of it.

I got you covered, Dave. You guys probably don't realize it, but Dave has thousands of Huey photos he has taken that I am ever so slowly digitizing. Turns out 255 wasn't the only bird to get the roof antenna. Here is 255 and another bird as well. I assume it's the antenna I can see sticking up in the center of the roof, correct? Weird thing is the bottom bird does have the mount for the GPS antenna on the wire strike blade. Or am I looking at the wrong antenna?

Ray

Rosenthal%20set%2010-13_zpsb0xy4ekq.jpg

Rosenthalset1-8_zps1308e1c7.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Actually Ray, the GPS antenna on 255 is the standard white (or black) 1.5 X 1.5 square that was mounted on the roof. You cant see it on any of the pics. It is just like what UH60s have mounted between the engines on the cowling. There should be some shots I took from a ladder that shows the top. Thanks buddy!!!

Actually Ray, the GPS antenna on 255 is the standard white (or black) 1.5 X 1.5 square that was mounted on the roof. You cant see it on any of the pics. It is just like what UH60s have mounted between the engines on the cowling. There should be some shots I took from a ladder that shows the top. Thanks buddy!!!

What is the small antenna (red arrow)you can just barely see that looks to be sitting in the center of the roof then, Dave? I don't think I've seen it on any other Hueys.

Ray

Rosenthal%20set%201-%202%20small-1_zps8p7hj6ae.jpg