Maybe I should've stuck with just modeling 'em

I have been building models of aircraft since I was 9. I've been working on 1 to 1 aircraft since I was 25 (A&P, AI and Private Pilot). But yesterday I did a first. At the age of 71 years and 16 days I (and my wife)bought a real life, 1 to 1 flying machine. It's a 1941 Piper J3F-65 with a low time engine, with bright yellow paint and black trim. Terrifying thing is that for the past 10 or so months, I have been referring to it as the "J3 from Hell". Seems the previous owner and his mechanic didn't like to spend money on proper replacement parts. We've spent a bunch of money and time on replacing a bunch of non-standard parts and making other adjustments. I called him last week and informed him we need to buy a new set of wheel rims cause the FAA wasn't buying the currently installed pair. Apparently, that was the straw that broke the camel's back cause his wife gave him his choice ("me or the airplane, your choice). I figure weather permitting (have some fabric replacement on the belly and of course the rim replacements) I can have the thing back into the air in three weeks or less.

for those looking to have the experience of buying a plane or a boat its easy: Go home and dig a fair sized hole in the yard.

Then every day you take your spare cash and throw it in the hole!

Haha... it would be amazing to own a plane though.

Well, good luck with your new baby! I hope you have as much fun as you can, as quickly as you can, before reality takes hold.

Hard to argue against CorsairMan's analogy.

My observation is that it's far better to have a friend with a boat or aircraft, than to own a boat or aircraft.

Nice! I flew in the back seat of a friend's once. When he yanked the stick back on take-off I was totally unprepared for the second stick to smack me right in the ol' apple bag. Fun flight, though- I'll never forget it.

At the age of 71 years and 16 days I (and my wife)bought a real life, 1 to 1 flying machine. It's a 1941 Piper J3F-65 with a low time engine, with bright yellow paint and black trim.

This is awesome news....enjoy. :woot.gif:

Nice! I flew in the back seat of a friend's once. When he yanked the stick back on take-off I was totally unprepared for the second stick to smack me right in the ol' apple bag. Fun flight, though- I'll never forget it.

"ol' apple bag".....now that is funny name for it....I got a good laugh out of that. :thumbsup:

At the age of 71 years and 16 days I (and my wife)bought a real life, 1 to 1 flying machine. It's a 1941 Piper J3F-65 with a low time engine, with bright yellow paint and black trim.

Oh, and If YOU need a buyer please call me first! :rolleyes: