B-25D waist guns

Everything I have JS, indicates 50 cals.

It also makes sense too, as this was the period when all US aircraft (USAAF/UNS) began an extensive program of uparmouring their equipment. By that I mean, the reality of combat and lessons learned the hard way began to show that 30 cals weren't up to snuff for air-to-air. Turrents, tail stingers and larger calibre weapons became the norm.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Aurora Mark

I know the D model of the B-25 doesn't have the large fuselage windows with the .50 cals in them.

But, some of the D models have MGs in the small windows AFT of the mid-upper turret.

My question: are these .30 cals or .50s??

TIA

JS

Even before the conversion to strafers, .30 cal. MG's were added to fire out of the photographer's compartment windows in the aft fuselage with simple pintle type mounts. These windows were hinged to open upwards so the installation was relatively simple. This practice continued with the conversion to the B-25D-1 strafer. For example, the narrative report for the aircraft named "Todelayo" lists the expenditure of 1,500 rounds of .30 caliber ammunition aboard Tondelayo after the famous October 18, 1943 mission to Rabaul. Later mission narratives also list expenditures of .30 caliber ammo. Hickey's book "Warpath Across the Pacific" has many photos showing the addition of .30 cal. MG's to the aft fuselage.

The B-25D2, featuring enclosed fuselage side gun positions with .50 cal MG's, were operated in the PTO.

Don

Edited by don f