Navy or Airforce

FLY NAVY!!!!!!!! The alure of Navy jets for me is the squadron markings and the color (at least up until the 80's). If I build an Air Force jet, it's usually an Air Guard jet because of the squadron markings on the tail. In the end, Navy is simply cooler than Air Force. :taunt:/>

Edited by Darren Roberts

Marines? ;)

Just a Hornet thing mainly. I dig Naval jets, a-4's a-6's, f-4's, f-14's, f-35b/c ;). Not that F-15 is not cool, but there are only handfull I'd like to build. Mostly with cool tail arts :)

Perhaps a poll would be better?

Edited by Thadeus

Interesting question. As some one who builds primarily US aircraft I find I buy mostly USAF kits. I just happen to like the planes the Air Force used in the 50s through the Vietnam war. The sheer number of subjectts, and the rapid advancement in technology make this era especially interesting to me.

That being said, I am also a Phantom Phan, and the Marines and the Navy had some very good looking Phantoms, so at least half of my built phantoms, and the phantoms I plan to build are Navy and Marine Corps subject.

Build for the interest in the plane rather than by service. Grew up around Navy, was in AF. AF tactical aircraft are remote in my experience so don't have the personal interest in them.

Some Navy types are favorites, from being around them and being focused on Navy as a kid.

From a modeling standpoint Navy carrier types are a favorite 'cause of folding wings. More work but less space so more kits.

As someone said above I build for the aircraft. But trying to limit what I buy and the fact that I'm a retired USAF O-4 I tend to lean towards USAF planes. I believe the ONLY USN aircraft I have right now is an F3H Demon.

And I also find it interesting the lack of tv series and movies involving air force jets or subject, majority is base on the navy:

JAG - Navy

NCIS - Navy

Flight of the Intruder - Navy jets

Hunt for Red October - Navy carrier and jets

Clear and Present Danger - Hornet

Independence Day - Hornet

Top Gun - Tomcat

Behind Enemy Lines - Super Hornet

Executive Decision - Tomcat and yes opened with F-117

Wonder why this is....Navy more cooperative when it comes to Hollywood moves and tv shows maybe?

After working on dark gray strike eagles for ten years and ugly f-16s for 5 years I find I mainly build Navy. I just can't seem to find the interest after spending most of my time around those aircraft. It doesn't change the fact that the MIGHTY F-15 is the finest piece of metal made by man though..

After working on dark gray strike eagles for ten years and ugly f-16s for 5 years I find I mainly build Navy. I just can't seem to find the interest after spending most of my time around those aircraft. It doesn't change the fact that the MIGHTY F-15 is the finest piece of metal made by man though..

Amen.

I mostly build USN aircraft. I'm fascinated by the development of naval aviation and carrier operations, particularly the challenge in developing aircraft that have a good balance between size, landing characteristics, range, flight characteristics, and payload.