NCIS - Navy

Flight of the Intruder - Navy jets

Hunt for Red October - Navy carrier and jets

Clear and Present Danger - Hornet

Independence Day - Hornet

Top Gun - Tomcat

Behind Enemy Lines - Super Hornet

Executive Decision - Tomcat and yes opened with F-117

Can't forget the Final Countdown!!! Chock full of CVW-8 footage!!!

Oh, and Executive Decision only "sort of" had an F-117....;)

even if Navy birds have sport some of the nicest colorful schemes, i'd say i'm more an airforce aircraft fan, and will build more airforce subjects... because Century series are of my favorite US subjects!(among other things... i also like BMF aluminium schemes...and even more SEA camouflaged subjects!)

After working on dark gray strike eagles for ten years and ugly f-16s for 5 years I find I mainly build Navy. I just can't seem to find the interest after spending most of my time around those aircraft. It doesn't change the fact that the MIGHTY F-15 is the finest piece of metal made by man though..

Except of the phrase "ugly F-16" I totally agree! F-15 the mightiest of all!

And I also find it interesting the lack of tv series and movies involving air force jets or subject, majority is base on the navy:

JAG - Navy

NCIS - Navy

Flight of the Intruder - Navy jets

Hunt for Red October - Navy carrier and jets

Clear and Present Danger - Hornet

Independence Day - Hornet

Top Gun - Tomcat

Behind Enemy Lines - Super Hornet

Executive Decision - Tomcat and yes opened with F-117

Wonder why this is....Navy more cooperative when it comes to Hollywood moves and tv shows maybe?

hey.... the air force had all 6 iron eagle movies. Lol

Air Force,my father spent 38 years in the ANG,I spent 4 years active duty and 18 years ANG, all my brothers did a stint in the AF and ANG, so it's pretty much in the DNA. I do have an interest in the other branches as well,many of my Missouri cousins are/were either in the Navy or Marines.

U.S.A.F. of course. I will do a couple old time Navy jobs but I'm 2nd generation A.F. with my father being in the Air Corps during WII.

What's this about color on aircraft?

scan0021-2.jpg

scan0119.jpg

scan0085.jpg

scan0021-4.jpg

scan0144-1.jpg

scan0145-1.jpg

scan0087.jpg

As for those Iron Eagle movies, no offense, but I couldn't believe they made a second one. There was so much wrong with that thing I couldn't believe it.

Edited by ikar

I've always been a fan of Vietnam-era USAF planes, and believe almost everything looks good in SEA camouflage, probably because that's what was constantly flying over my house when I was a kid. Over the last few years, I've discovered USN high-vis gray/white jets, so I've branched out quite a bit. I'm still into 50s-70s aircraft, but I build from both services, now.

Ben

USAF/ANG, with a lean towards ANG. I love all of the different jets and markings. However, I still like to build NAVY/MARINE stuff. I know about landing on an aircraft carrier vs a nice long, wide runway, ad nauseum. I have heard plenty of heart stopping, life saving stories about USAF/ANG pilots. I just happen to know more ANG/USAF pilots and was lucky enough to fly with them on occasion.

Great question! I'll let my finished builds do the talking for me, although I do prefer USN subjects, and find active duty USAF units to be quite boring.

1/72nd scale USN: 47 models

1/72nd USMC: 9 models

1/72nd USAF: 41 models, of which 29 are ANG or Reserve

1/48th USAF: 7 models , All aggressors

1/48th USN: 18 models, all adversaries

1/32nd USN: 12 models, 11 of which are adversaries, one training unit (VFA-125)

The other main subject that I build is small air forces, and have finished 31 1/72nd models in this catagory.

Fred K

Edited by f5guy

Great question! I'll let my finished builds do the talking for me, although I do prefer USN subjects, and find active duty USAF units to be quite boring.

1/72nd scale USN: 47 models

1/72nd USMC: 9 models

1/72nd USAF: 41 models, of which 29 are ANG or Reserve

1/48th USAF: 7 models , All aggressors

1/48th USN: 18 models, all adversaries

1/32nd USN: 12 models, 11 of which are adversaries, one training unit (VFA-125)

The other main subject that I build is small air forces, and have finished 31 1/72nd models in this catagory.

Fred K

That sounds like an awesome collection. I would love to see a picture of your display shelves.

Edited by RKic