P-40B Warhawk IIa

Right, here I am again :D

Sorry that I´ve hidden a few builds for you guys now..but now and again one has to be reminded who I build for and that´s for me :D

But now I´m ready to share a build with yu guys again....and I might have gone a wee bit unhinged on this :P Well the P-40 is my all time fav prop!

I love every version of it, it´s something to do with the front heavy looks and oh so comon shar mouths....it was the first model I had any input

in building (one of my elder brothers build one and asked me how to paint it when I was like 5 years old). I remember seeing it in adventure tv

series (Tales of the Gold Monkey) and movies....it´s just stunning!

Strangely enough I´ve never produced one as a grown modeller.....last one I build was an old airfix one when I was like 12...

Time to remedy that now..

I´ll be starting at the famous Flying Tiger end with a P-40B IIa...suppose a brit Tomahawk really..and it´s the old Trumpy kit

IMG_2450_zpsivpowaji.jpg

It contains two large sprues with parts and a small clear sprue and even a little PE sheet.

IMG_2452_zpssmw4d1yt.jpg

IMG_2453_zpsbuhmhgt6.jpg

IMG_2454_zpsil7yxawl.jpg

Then i went bit potty....

Aires pit and belts from Howmodel

IMG_2455_zpskegmfbvq.jpg

Quickboost exhausts and landing gear doors...eduard canopy masks....cammo paint masks and decal paint masks from montex :P

IMG_2456_zpsu51z29hh.jpg

Well.....this might be fun :D

Cheers!

Janne, I have followed quite a few of your builds from the SW stuff and others but, I have never commented until now. I am really looking forward to your P-40. I was really curious about the Trumpeter version but, settled on the Academy kit due to some unfavorable reviews. Looking forward to it!

-Mark

Janne, I have followed quite a few of your builds from the SW stuff and others but, I have never commented until now. I am really looking forward to your P-40. I was really curious about the Trumpeter version but, settled on the Academy kit due to some unfavorable reviews. Looking forward to it!

-Mark

Thanx Mark...we shall see where this lands :D

Right then, down to business!

Spent today with cutting parts of sprues and mounting them on toothpicks...the usual.

I begun with sub assemblies as well...

LIke this here gear well...each well are made of 4 sides and the wing halfs. Looks decent enough.

IMG_2457_zpsqacxkkbv.jpg

Put the wing mounted .30 calibers into place....some difference in fire power beween later models and the early, having six .50 cals in the wings to the 4 .30 cals must have been a major leap.

IMG_2458_zpsg5a2qiza.jpg

And the wings are put together....

IMG_2459_zps89glazfm.jpg

There is a lot of this crud on the kit, injection marks and rivets...darn thing is full of rivets! I´ve never been a fan of rivets, fasteners I can get but the rivets on this thing and other trumpeter kits are just maddening!

IMG_2460_zpstm5irkap.jpg

Well here everything is cleaned and mounted and waiting for primer.

IMG_2461_zpshimtp6hb.jpg

I took the oportunity to drill out the barrels of the nose mounted .50cals....was no point trying to drill out the .30 cals :/

I used a .4mm drill and hand cranked the chuk.

IMG_2465_zpszchrjube.jpg

So far everything is peachy!

Cheers!

Janne,

I don't check in for a day plus, and you not only have a new build blog up and running, but a prop no less, and it's not the Yak 3 you told me about. I've already pulled up a chair, and intend to be along for the ride, as this one is going to be a fun one for sure. Like You, I've always loved the P-40 since I watched the movie: The Flying Tigers staring John Wayne as a small boy, And like you, I've never gotten around to building a model of one. As for the rivets, well, the P-40 IIa was a riveted airplane. So the issue has always been what do model companies do with them? In scale, they would be next to invisible, but then again so would the panel lines. So we end up with a kit makers artistic interpretation of the wings and fuselage, or the opposite would just be a single expanse of plastic that is as smooth as silk.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
As for the rivets, well, the P-40 IIa was a riveted airplane. So the issue has always been what do model companies do with them? In scale, they would be next to invisible, but then again so would the panel lines. So we end up with a kit makers artistic interpretation of the wings and fuselage, or the opposite would just be a single expanse of plastic that is as smooth as silk.

Well said Joel!

Cheers,

Colin

Janne,

I don't check in for a day plus, and you not only have a new build blog up and running, but a prop no less, and it's not the Yak 3 you told me about. I've already pulled up a chair, and intend to be along for the ride, as this one is going to be a fun one for sure. Like You, I've always loved the P-40 since I watched the movie: The Flying Tigers staring John Wayne as a small boy, And like you, I've never gotten around to building a model of one. As for the rivets, well, the P-40 IIa was a riveted airplane. So the issue has always been what do model companies do with them? In scale, they would be next to invisible, but then again so would the panel lines. So we end up with a kit makers artistic interpretation of the wings and fuselage, or the opposite would just be a single expanse of plastic that is as smooth as silk.

Joel

Great having you along for the build :D

All aircraft are riveted...but the rivets are almost always flush to the skin of the airframe. Panelines, tiny as they are, are still demarcations between segments of fuselage panels and are still pretty well represented by grooves, even if they are not to scale.

What you see from rivets are the dirt and grime coming of them and that's a different ball game. Now these are only my personal views on rivets and I don't mind other opinions and I'm not really telling anyone it's wrong to rivet their kits...I just don't like them in mine :P

Haven't decided on the level of insanity to put into this kit yet :P/>

Janne,

I've seen too many of your builds to think that anything less then your usual high standards will do, especially when it comes to painting, and weathering.

Joel

A bit picture intensive today so it´s a two parter...not that there´s much happening realy :P

First off a bit of putting things together...

A bit of PE into the....yeah well I´m not to versed in prop terminology....landing flap well?!

IMG_2467_zpsfr1z01zp.jpg

And a bit of PE filters for the air intakes.

IMG_2468_zps4pmi0xuu.jpg

IMG_2469_zpsm7ef2yd0.jpg

Ailerons are on...isn´t one supposed to stick up while the other is down depending on the position of the stick? I´m not familiar with this :P

IMG_2470_zpsglpuwnt3.jpg

Rudders on the tailfins...

IMG_2471_zpsxdbfbare.jpg

This here Landing flap looks miserable, really....

IMG_2472_zpsuyamr2l4.jpg

Those darn injection marks and poor details show :/

IMG_2473_zpsc9r5biwx.jpg

Oh well....I sanded the muck down and filled the injection marks...I´ll scratsch those details later instead, after all I´m using all kinds of detail enhancing resin why not go all the way?

IMG_2475_zps5fvat05v.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

I guess this is something proper propbulders probably already know....but it might still be new to some :P

Painting yellow!

First I realized I had primed the prop in black so I reprimed the tips in white (Alclad is the name of the game)

IMG_2476_zps59o1kxy1.jpg

Then I shot pink on top of the white...

IMG_2477_zps8wigchpb.jpg

And then I dusted chrome yellow very lightly and got this deep warm yellow tips :D Horrible props by the way....wish I had aftermarket props for this.

IMG_2478_zpsktugdwjv.jpg

And the rest got primed too

IMG_2479_zpspgcdca0g.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

Excellent progress. What you're referring to are called Ailerons. They help the aircraft bank into the orientation of the turn by raising one wing and lowering the other one. If you want to turn right, you move the stick in that direction, it lowers the right Aileron and raises the left one, causing the aircraft to bank in that direction. With the rudder you change the forward orientation of the aircraft towards the right.

As for the prop, you just taught this old dog a new trick. I've always primed the prop tips in Neutral gray, then just applied flat yellow. Never thought of using a dusting of pink. The only thing to be aware of is that the yellow faded real fast, especially in the south Asian Theater. As for the prop, it going to have a spinner, so no hub detail is really needed. Just a little chipping if you want to on both edges will do just fine.

I really like the radiator PE. It's a real nice added detail then just a black or nothing behind it.

Talk about ejection pin marks. Those are some really super sized one. Nice job on correcting them. I'm looking forward to seeing your scratch rib work.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W