P-40B Warhawk IIa

Loving the progress!

Thanx Aurora Mark :D

Janne,

Excellent progress. What you're referring to are called Ailerons. They help the aircraft bank into the orientation of the turn by raising one and lowering the other one. If you want to turn right, you move the stick in that direction, it lowers the right Aileron and raises the left one, causing the aircraft to bank in that direction. With the rudder you change the forward orientation of the aircraft towards the right.

As for the prop, you just taught this old dog a new trick. I've always primed the prop tips in Neutral gray, then just applied flat yellow. Never thought of using a dusting of pink. The only thing to be aware of is that the yellow faded real fast, especially in the south Asian Theater. As for the prop, it going to have a spinner, so no hub detail is really needed. Just a little chipping if you want to on both edges will do just fine.

I really like the radiator PE. It's a real nice added detail then just a black or nothing behind it.

Talk about ejection pin marks. Those are some really super sized one. Nice job on correcting them. I'm looking forward to seeing your scratch rib work.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Ailerons I knew....the spart I didn't know the name of was the part with PE, it goes in the middle of the main wing.

Looks great! And yeah one aileron should be up while the other is down. Or just in a neutral position.

Loving the build so far!

Cheers,

Colin

Thanx Colin :D

Trumpeter made the ailerons to only fit in the down position...felt weird.

Thanx Aurora Mark :D/>

Thanx Joel :D/>

Ailerons I knew....the spart I didn't know the name of was the part with PE, it goes in the middle of the main wing.

Thanx Colin :D/>

Trumpeter made the ailerons to only fit in the down position...felt weird.

Janne,

From the few pictures of it, it seams to face down once attached to the wing. Could it be an extension of the inner ribbed section of the wing?

Joel

Janne,

From the few pictures of it, it seams to face down once attached to the wing. Could it be an extension of the inner ribbed section of the wing?

Joel

Yup, that's it...it's part of the wing where the landing flaps folds into. Just thought it had a name ;)

Here is a long overdue update :D

It´s been fiddley business...

I sanded the insides of the landing flaps smooth...

IMG_2480_zpszz3azpwa.jpg

Then I cut up 4 pieces of 0.010*0.020" strips and made 20 something pices of what will be ribs from 0.010" plasticard.

IMG_2482_zpsgbhxhrun.jpg

Glued on the strips like so...

IMG_2483_zpskc7aoya9.jpg

Then I made a simple jig from a toothpick for the ribs to be about similarily cut...

IMG_2512_zpsm9pavnil.jpg

Held the rib like this....

IMG_2513_zps2j5wwumz.jpg

and marked a line like so....and the same on the rest.

IMG_2515_zps96e9llxy.jpg

then cut a triangular shape with the apex on the mark.

IMG_2516_zpsdhoqlajr.jpg

I used my razor saw and cut up the strips I had glued in the flaps...

IMG_2517_zpsb7jal0cl.jpg

And inserted the ribs into the grooves....and it looks much better :D

IMG_2519_zpsdltp8nty.jpg

Here are both done...

IMG_2520_zpsfkcoamm9.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

Excellent progress. What you're referring to are called Ailerons. They help the aircraft bank into the orientation of the turn by raising one wing and lowering the other one. If you want to turn right, you move the stick in that direction, it lowers the right Aileron and raises the left one, causing the aircraft to bank in that direction. With the rudder you change the forward orientation of the aircraft towards the right.

As for the prop, you just taught this old dog a new trick. I've always primed the prop tips in Neutral gray, then just applied flat yellow. Never thought of using a dusting of pink. The only thing to be aware of is that the yellow faded real fast, especially in the south Asian Theater. As for the prop, it going to have a spinner, so no hub detail is really needed. Just a little chipping if you want to on both edges will do just fine.

I really like the radiator PE. It's a real nice added detail then just a black or nothing behind it.

Talk about ejection pin marks. Those are some really super sized one. Nice job on correcting them. I'm looking forward to seeing your scratch rib work.

Joel

Actually the part about the ailerons is reversed. If you want to turn to the right you move the stick to the right and the RIGHT aileron goes UP (not down) thus causing the wing to lower into the turn. The LEFT aileron will of course go DOWN.

Bob

Janne,

Don't know how I missed how you made those flaps. I've done similar detailing on a SBD-3 Dauntless, but I did it backwards from your technique. I made the ribs, then struggled with the stringers cut from individual pieces. Your method not only looks 100% better, but I'm will to bet it took way less time. Nothing like learning from the "Master".

Keep those techniques coming. I copy those that I have value to me, and using OneNote, I have an easy to find reference library to pull up any techniques I want to use with pictures.

Joel

Yes they do; Great work!!

Thanx polo1112 :D

Actually the part about the ailerons is reversed. If you want to turn to the right you move the stick to the right and the RIGHT aileron goes UP (not down) thus causing the wing to lower into the turn. The LEFT aileron will of course go DOWN.

Bob

Thanx on the input , Bob :D

Janne,

Don't know how I missed how you made those flaps. I've done similar detailing on a SBD-3 Dauntless, but I did it backwards from your technique. I made the ribs, then struggled with the stringers cut from individual pieces. Your method not only looks 100% better, but I'm will to bet it took way less time. Nothing like learning from the "Master".

Keep those techniques coming. I copy those that I have value to me, and using OneNote, I have an easy to find reference library to pull up any techniques I want to use with pictures.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

I had been thinking about how to go about things for a while....at first I was considering the way you described. I was thinking in the lines of a jig to avoid having to measure each cut on each ribs on 24 pieces, that would take way too much time and effort :P

Me being lazy is a great driving force to find simple and quick sollutions to problems...so it came to me that the easiest and quickest way was to cut grooves with my razor saw, I took a calipher to it and found that the saw blade was the right width for the 0.010" plasticard......and right now it dawned on me that I could just have glued the ribs and use my cutter to cut the ribs to shape as they where glued tomthe flaps and it would have gone even quicker :/

<div>

Thanx Joel :D/>/>/>

I had been thinking about how to go about things for a while....at first I was considering the way you described. I was thinking in the lines of a jig to avoid having to measure each cut on each ribs on 24 pieces, that would take way too much time and effort :P/>/>/>

Me being lazy is a great driving force to find simple and quick sollutions to problems...so it came to me that the easiest and quickest way was to cut grooves with my razor saw, I took a calipher to it and found that the saw blade was the right width for the 0.010" plasticard......and right now it dawned on me that I could just have glued the ribs and use my cutter to cut the ribs to shape as they where glued tomthe flaps and it would have gone even quicker :/

Janne,

In other words, I need to work on my natural laziness skills more :thumbsup::yahoo:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Lovely work Janne! But surely you starting this very comprehensive build is why Airfix chose to announce their new 1/48 P-40B? If so, thank you for your influence! :thumbsup:/>

Best of luck with the build, I look forward to your next photo update.

Edited by K5054NZ

Lovely work Janne! But surely you starting this very comprehensive build is why Airfix chose to announce their new 1/48 P-40B? If so, thank you for your influence! :thumbsup:/>/>

Best of luck with the build, I look forward to your next photo update.

Thanx zac :D

Story of my life.... :P

Thank you for your noble sacrifice, so that others may have joy. :P/>

LoL, I started counting and realized I had sacrificed me quite a few times now....

First a F-15I Ra'am konverted from parts of 2 kits and Isracast conversion set....shortly there after Academy and Hasegawa released the darn thing.

Then I did a F-16I Sufa again useda Isracast conversion and loads of scratching.....and again just weeks after it was done Kinetic and Hasegawa released their Sufas.

I spent a small fortune on building a Esci Viggen, I toiled for more than two years on making it correctish....and a year and a half later the Tarangus Viggen arrived....

And now this...where will it end? Shall I do requests?

Janne,

When you're ready for requests, I'm sure that your minions can supply you with enough ideas to last for years on end. :salute:/> Personally, I've enjoyed and learned quite a lot, especially your weathering philosophy for all your builds that I've followed.

Joel

Your scratch building is absolutely brilliant there! More! MORE! MORE!!!

LOL, Thanx Aurora mark :D I'll try to live up to that ;P

Janne,

When you're ready for requests, I'm sure that your minions can supply you with enough ideas to last for years on end. :salute:/>/> Personally, I've enjoyed and learned quite a lot, especially your weathering philosophy for all your builds that I've followed.

Joel

You're probably right :)

Got some work done again :D

Some painting actually...

Shot some interior green on the insides of the landing flaps and the cockpit....it´s a move forward at least :P

IMG_2521_zpskniyvkjk.jpg

The Aires pit so far

IMG_2522_zpsg2u7yhme.jpg

Landing bay doors

IMG_2523_zpsbhaf9puh.jpg

Got a wee bit done besides rudimentary painting :)

I fixed the ailerons...slightly neutral is the look I went with.

IMG_2525_zpsq1guqfaw.jpg

Then I begun on the radiator shutters...thought I´d detail them up a bit...and I want them open. So I started with thinning them a bit with The Dremel.

IMG_2527_zpsi0uhicmb.jpg

Numbered the shutters so I wouldn´t misplace them...

IMG_2528_zpssx1hjfld.jpg

Put in three shims in preparation for extending the bottom fuselage into the radiator.

IMG_2529_zpsaowhx0m3.jpg

Glued on a bit of plasticard, I will putty that up later as to make it more conformal to the soft bulgeing in into the radiator.

IMG_2530_zpsmg3mxuih.jpg

A little dry fitting so I know I haven´t done the extension too far into the radiator...

IMG_2531_zpssjtmkljb.jpg

And a dry fit of the radiator shutters, I will cut them up and and position them in the open position and add rods and supports.

IMG_2532_zpswtd7kbet.jpg

There, not much but every single step forwards counts :D

Cheers!