P-40B Warhawk IIa

Janne,

I really like your procedure for opening up those cowl flaps, and yet adding support for the front of the wing section. The cockpit is really looking quite good.

Just a heads up on colors at the start of the war. Curtiss Cockpit Green which was an approximation of Interior Green, was made locally as many aircraft companies did at the start of the war, was a little browner than the standard Interior Green color, but with weathering the base shade really isn't that important. I'm not sure if the inside of the flaps were Interior green or Yellow Zinc Chromate, which has a slight greenish tint to it. Interior Green was made by mixing Black with Zinc Chromate so it was much darker.

Joel

Janne,

I really like your procedure for opening up those cowl flaps, and yet adding support for the front of the wing section. The cockpit is really looking quite good.

Just a heads up on colors at the start of the war. Curtiss Cockpit Green which was an approximation of Interior Green, was made locally as many aircraft companies did at the start of the war, was a little browner than the standard Interior Green color, but with weathering the base shade really isn't that important. I'm not sure if the inside of the flaps were Interior green or Yellow Zinc Chromate, which has a slight greenish tint to it. Interior Green was made by mixing Black with Zinc Chromate so it was much darker.

Joel

Thanx Joel :)

The few refs shots I've seen in color showed somehing closer to interior green rather than zinc chromate, same for tbe shutters and wheel bays. However I think those were taken of museum birds so I'm not 100% sure.

Thanx Joel :)/>

The few refs shots I've seen in color showed somehing closer to interior green rather than zinc chromate, same for tbe shutters and wheel bays. However I think those were taken of museum birds so I'm not 100% sure.

Janne,

I really know what you mean about restoration photos. More seam to be wrong then right, and you think that it would be the other way around as they have all the same resources we do plus most likely more. The PV-1 Ventura has been an adventure with colors for sure. The wheel well tanks in most builds have them as either Red, or Aluminum, yet the few pictures I've found of a restored PV-1 has them as GZC just like the rest of the wheel well. Finding accurate color information seems to have become one of the hardest parts of a build for WW11 modelers.

I'm not even sure what color those open P-40B wheels wells really were.

In any event, with your weathering technique will produce really quite accurate colors in the cockpit, and inside of the split flaps.

Joel

Janne,

I really know what you mean about restoration photos. More seam to be wrong then right, and you think that it would be the other way around as they have all the same resources we do plus most likely more. The PV-1 Ventura has been an adventure with colors for sure. The wheel well tanks in most builds have them as either Red, or Aluminum, yet the few pictures I've found of a restored PV-1 has them as GZC just like the rest of the wheel well. Finding accurate color information seems to have become one of the hardest parts of a build for WW11 modelers.

I'm not even sure what color those open P-40B wheels wells really were.

In any event, with your weathering technique will produce really quite accurate colors in the cockpit, and inside of the split flaps.

Joel

That remains to be seen :P

I know as much about props as a mosquito in Taj Mahal knows about Detroit (Go Redwings!)

But I try :)

Janne,

Hockey season has started as yet here. The Baseball post season starts Tuesday, and it's only the 4th week of the NFL season. Go Rangers :touche:/>

just don't read the Airfix P-40B thread going on right now, or you might not want to continue with your build. :deadhorse1:/>

Joel

Janne,

Hockey season has started as yet here. The Baseball post season starts Tuesday, and it's only the 4th week of the NFL season. Go Rangers :touche:/>/>

just don't read the Airfix P-40B thread going on right now, or you might not want to continue with your build. :deadhorse1:/>/>

Joel

Oh my, that was a venomous thread...... kind of entertaining tho :P

Janne,

Just reread my post and it should have been "hasn't started as yet". And I actually proof read my posts. Go figure.

Yeah, it did get down and kind of dirty. I never post in rivet counter threads, especially this one as this isn't even a close to final CAD image. Personally, I'm thrilled to be getting a state of the art P-40B.

Joel

Again only small update :D

I can only blame a nasty cold that the whole family got hammered with....right now only the girls ar sick tho.

ANyways...

I put a big fat blob of putty on the belly extension to sand into shape later.

IMG_2533_zpso7tm8ydt.jpg

Added a bit of PE in the pit...

IMG_2534_zpssekyg8l8.jpg

Got the IP sorted...just needs a bit of detail painting and washes.

IMG_2536_zpspnxablqb.jpg

I got some detail painting done in the pit and then I gloss coated in wait of washes :D

IMG_2537_zpsmjfw47fd.jpg

Cheers!

Here's a motivational image for you, Janne!

Tomahawk1270311.jpg

This is Rod Lewis' Texas-based Tomahawk IIB, restored here in New Zealand and painted as a P-40C. I didn't take more photos as I was more excited by the Mosquito I was standing under! (you can see the Merlin exhausts at left)

Keep up the great work, I look forward to your next progress report.

Edited by K5054NZ

Janne,

The pit assembles look great, especially the IP. Why such a large blob of putty for the extension? It will just take longer to dry then a few lighter coats.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

I like having a bit of material to work with to getbghe smooth inward curve and I added extra to compensate for shrinkage.

Here's a motivational image for you, Janne!

Tomahawk1270311.jpg

This is Rod Lewis' Texas-based Tomahawk IIB, restored here in New Zealand and painted as a P-40C. I didn't take more photos as I was more excited by the Mosquito I was standing under! (you can see the Merlin exhausts at left)

Keep up the great work, I look forward to your next progress report.

Thanx Zac :D

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

Time for another small update...yeah I know the going is slow but that´s how it is sometimes :D

I sanded the belly extension smooth and into shape...

IMG_2541_zpszgdhjmuu.jpg

Primed it, and it looks good enough :D

IMG_2542_zpswzwrhpi6.jpg

A quick dry fit....good, good.

IMG_2543_zps0v8agqpx.jpg

Then I tried MiG´s enamel wash, I´ve always made my own washes from artist oils and turpentine but I got this in a set so I wanted to try it.

Conclusion, sure it´s alright...but for half the cost of a tube of really good artis oil I don´t think it´s worth it. I´ll continue with my artist oil mixtures.

IMG_2544_zps89hh9zvw.jpg

That´s all folks!

Cheers!

Janne it's coming along nicely! You sure don't have to tell me about slow progress however, most of my slow progress stems from goofs with glue, putty, etc. Oh.... and the fact that I am not around very much these days to work on my project! I am really inspired to work on my own Tomahawk with your build. I have seen/heard of many builders using MIG products. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out the way you wanted but, I think it looks good! What does the oil paint offer you (for you personally) that you found lacking in the MIG product? Just curious. Looking forward to the next step in your progress.

-Mark

Janne it's coming along nicely! You sure don't have to tell me about slow progress however, most of my slow progress stems from goofs with glue, putty, etc. Oh.... and the fact that I am not around very much these days to work on my project! I am really inspired to work on my own Tomahawk with your build. I have seen/heard of many builders using MIG products. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out the way you wanted but, I think it looks good! What does the oil paint offer you (for you personally) that you found lacking in the MIG product? Just curious. Looking forward to the next step in your progress.

-Mark

Thanx Mark :D

Well the obvious advantage is that with artist oils you can mix your own hues of wash, for example I never use a entirely black wash but mix black with raw umber or burnt sienna to get washes with less stark contrasts.

The other advantage is the smell, using odorless turpentine instead of white spirit does wonders for the atmosphere....

And thirdly it's the price...really good artist oils like Winsor & Newton might cost more but on the other hand they last pretty much eternally; )

Thanx Mark :D/>

Well the obvious advantage is that with artist oils you can mix your own hues of wash, for example I never use a entirely black wash but mix black with raw umber or burnt sienna to get washes with less stark contrasts.

The other advantage is the smell, using odorless turpentine instead of white spirit does wonders for the atmosphere....

And thirdly it's the price...really good artist oils like Winsor & Newton might cost more but on the other hand they last pretty much eternally; )

Janne,

I've reached basically the same conclusion as you. Purchased washes, filters, etc. are much more expensive then what it costs you to make your own. What we're paying for is mostly a thinning agent. And as you've said, it's easy to mix your own to achieve whatever color one needs or wants. You can just as easily buy some lets say Tamiya bottles with those excellent sealing caps to store your washes in. I do use both Artist tube oils, but always allow them to leach the Linseed oil out, so that they will dry somewhat faster. I've been using Odorless Mineral Spirits, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly call it "odorless". Will have to try Odorless Turps next. I also like to use Model Master Enamels to make washes, as it's easier then working with artist oils, and the color choices are nearly endless.

The Belly extension turned out quite well. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Janne,

I've reached basically the same conclusion as you. Purchased washes, filters, etc. are much more expensive then what it costs you to make your own. What we're paying for is mostly a thinning agent. And as you've said, it's easy to mix your own to achieve whatever color one needs or wants. You can just as easily buy some lets say Tamiya bottles with those excellent sealing caps to store your washes in. I do use both Artist tube oils, but always allow them to leach the Linseed oil out, so that they will dry somewhat faster. I've been using Odorless Mineral Spirits, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly call it "odorless". Will have to try Odorless Turps next. I also like to use Model Master Enamels to make washes, as it's easier then working with artist oils, and the color choices are nearly endless.

Joel

Thanx Joel:D

Thanx Mark :D/>

Janne,

Joel

All those attributes make a very sound cases for both oils and enamels. I am still collecting "tools" for my toolbox so, thank you both for the insight!

-Mark

Here we go...

The Aires pit parts painted and weathered...

IMG_2546_zpsu3rjd6gv.jpg

The side consols.

IMG_2547_zpswlvrsjki.jpg

The IP.

IMG_2549_zpsl26ysaj1.jpg

Rear bulkhead attached...

IMG_2551_zpsim5rwxph.jpg

And the consols glued in place....Can´t really say you get any help frm the Aires instruction on where to put things...trial and error!

IMG_2553_zpsddjrq2ui.jpg

Here´s some error...I accidently sawed through the bottom of the seat pan!

IMG_2554_zpsavfoh8vc.jpg

I cut out the entire damaged area...

IMG_2555_zpsfaqxlzey.jpg

And glued in a piece of plasticard instead.

IMG_2557_zpshftuhhwt.jpg

After a bit of fiddling I got the floor and rear bulkhead in.....scratching my noggin a bit about how to get the IP into place...

IMG_2559_zpsxmtqqkx4.jpg

There, todays work :D

Cheers!

Janne,

Now that's outstanding progress. I do have one question though. On the right side cockpit wall there is a map case. I'm pretty sure that some of it (the cover flap), is made from a fabric material, while the box itself was made from aluminum. I've seen pictures over the years where the case was painted a leather color to Interior green, all Flat Black, or just the flap in a leather color and the case itself IG. This issue usually comes up in all USAAF WW11 fighter builds, as restorations mostly get it wrong more then right. You always work from documentation, does it show it differently then you painted it?

Nice save on the bottom of the seat. I've done to some degree what you did on more resin parts then I care to admit too. And even if I manage not to damage the part itself, sanding it flat and true is an issue of frustration for me. The twin PW engines on the PV-1 took hours to get close but not perfect.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Janne,

Now that's outstanding progress. I do have one question though. On the right side cockpit wall there is a map case. I'm pretty sure that some of it (the cover flap), is made from a fabric material, while the box itself was made from aluminum. I've seen pictures over the years where the case was painted a leather color to Interior green, all Flat Black, or just the flap in a leather color and the case itself IG. This issue usually comes up in all USAAF WW11 fighter builds, as restorations mostly get it wrong more then right. You always work from documentation, does it show it differently then you painted it?

Nice save on the bottom of the seat. I've done to some degree what you did on more resin parts then I care to admit too. And even if I manage not to damage the part itself, sanding it flat and true is an issue of frustration for me. The twin PW engines on the PV-1 took hours to get close but not perfect.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

I've seen the map box in all of the above colors...so I decided to leave it as is and move on with my life :P