P-40B Warhawk IIa

Janne,

Nice effort on the spinner. the paint chipping is just right. With all the decals on, as well as the exhausts added, it's really looking the part. Are you going to be doing a little exhaust staining?

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Oh yes there will be all kinds of staining, havent started weathering yet!

First a panel wash, then I'll do the weather streaks, then the oil and soot and finally some dusting.

A few minututes with my P-40...

Panel wash..

I use a artis oil wash mixture with black and burnt umber, I slosh it freely all over the kit.

IMG_2693_zps1nxowij1.jpg

Let it dry to the touch and then I wipe it off with an old T-shirt cloth.

IMG_2695_zpsdceokmcn.jpg

IMG_2696_zpswn3xy4lm.jpg

Tomorrow I´ll do dirt and rain streaks.

Cheers!

Dirt streaks...

I begun with squeesing out some oil paint on a plastic sheet...

IMG_2697_zpsjqausuex.jpg

Then I happily dotted all the different colors randomly over the wings...had my cloth ready

IMG_2699_zpsu6xzenzq.jpg

And started wiping the oils off in the wind direction.

IMG_2700_zpsovvcp4wz.jpg

The wings done,this is a ratrher subtle weathering really and it´s better to under do that over do, you ca always add.

IMG_2701_zps6dzwihkj.jpg

Next it was time for the fuselage to recieve the same treatment.

IMG_2702_zpsuvxrm8zs.jpg

But here I wiped downwards in the rain direction.

IMG_2703_zps7dylnbhc.jpg

The belly just recieved occasional streaks

IMG_2704_zps3m2iju69.jpg

Upper side done.

IMG_2705_zpscphhweou.jpg

There, next there will be make up and pigments! :D

Cheers!

You've got some of the best painting and weathering skills on ABC. Loveven the 40.

Thanx falcon :D

I try to be creative and find my way among all techniques out there. I have a picture in my head of how I want it to look and try to achieve that. :D

Very nice! What colors did u use for the oil paints?

Thanx Adam :D

The brand or the actual paints?

I use Windsor and Newton artis oils and I used black, white, raw umber, burnt umber and burnt sienna.

A little addition...

Went over it with Mig pastelles making it dusty.

IMG_2706_zpskfthwodg.jpg

After some more pastelles and Tamyia make up I put on a flat coat and now it´s pretty much ready for final assemlbly.

IMG_2707_zpsbt0zuvfn.jpg

Gonna put on landing bay doors, sights and the little bits between the cooling shutters, paint lights and add the antenna wires.

Cheers!

Janne,

Where I'm always screwing up is with the Dot method. I usually end up either washing too much of the oils off, nor not enough. After I apply the Dots, I've been using a wide brush that was dampened with the same medium as the wash, and only brushing in one direction, not back and forth, or up and down.

Joel

Janne,

Where I'm always screwing up is with the Dot method. I usually end up either washing too much of the oils off, nor not enough. After I apply the Dots, I've been using a wide brush that was dampened with the same medium as the wash, and only brushing in one direction, not back and forth, or up and down.

Joel

I use a dry cotton cloth, only for the white emblems did I use a damp cotton swab to bring back the white.

I use a dry cotton cloth, only for the white emblems did I use a damp cotton swab to bring back the white.

Janne,

Will try that on the Mitchell, but I want to say on the conservative side as these aircraft were well taken care of.

Joel

• 4 months later...