Letraset Dry Transfers

Folks,

I recently came across a company named Letraset that made dry transfer stencils with/for/under the Squadron name. Has anyone used these, and if so, what did you think of them (quality wise, crispness of text, etc).

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

I know the Letraset brand as products for the architectural design from my Fine Art Academy's time.

In the past days I was finally able to find and bought the Letratone dotted sheet that I will put in use to simulate in 1/72 the F-4 splitter plate perforations.

So,for what I know from Letraset,its product are very good and professional.

Gianni

:D/>, And they've been around a long time. In 1975 I built the Airfix HS 123 kit and painted it to match a profile in a book I had. Unfortunately the aircraft code decals in the Airfix kit didn't match what I wanted so I looked around and found the Letraset dry transfer system and found that they had letters of the size and style I wanted and they weren't even for aircraft modelling but really just for general use. I still had that model 15 years later and the transfers were still in pretty good condition. Where they'd worn off I just painted a bit of silver or RLM Grey to represent weathering in those areas. I hadn't yet learnt to put a coat over the top of the decals and transfers to seal them in so they did gradually wear off but that was ok becasue I just weathered those areas.

:cheers:/>,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

I know the Letraset brand as products for the architectural design from my Fine Art Academy's time.

Yes, Letraset has been a part of the graphic arts, architecture, design, and drafting scene for a very long time. I'm not surprised that Squadron may have gotten them to do some specific things.

My local art store has a good selection.

Squadron came out with the line of Letraset markings about 1970 and they discontinued them a couple of years later. I bought quite a few and once you get the burnishing technique right they're preferable to decals. I've got a sheet of German kill marks that are far more detailed than any decal. The problem was they wanted to sell you a page of code letters, a page of national markings, and then a page of personal markings. Most didn't want to make the investment and preferred one sheet with the full complement like Microscale did.

That being said, they are a fine product, still available at swap meets. Due to their age, you might want to heat before use (leave inside a hot car, etc.) and definitely test first.

HTH

Regularly use for serial numbers. I apply the dry transfer letters onto clear decal film, then apply as usual. Large letters/numbers such as underwing markings may be applied direct or by using the dry transfer as a mask over the letter colour. Tape to remove.

I have leftover sheets from my manual drafting days, they still work, as The Keeper says, warm before use.

G

Thank you everyone!

I'm still looking at needing to have the custom set made for the Aurora, however for other projects these folks seem to offer a lot.

It's a crying shame about HD, as they really seemed to be on the right track. I know I've got a couple sets from them (for the Spitfire) and am looking forward to using them.

Nuts, I guess that's just how it goes.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 4 weeks later...