Tamiya's 1/32 P-51D

Hello fellow modelers! Today I bring to you Tamiya's big and fancy P-51D in 1/32 scale. On first glance this kit is just jaw dropping to say the least. It's got 389 parts in grey plastic and 26 clear parts. I picked this kit up for an absolute steal of around 80 Dollars USD. Before this build has even kicked off, I've already run into some surprising troubles. I received this kit as a gift a few years back sealed and gleaming. I never opened the kit back then, fearing I wouldn't be able to do it justice by brush painting. But now, having an airbrush and a few more years of experience under my belt I decided I'd give it a go. Now the problems, I opened up this kit a few weeks ago after my B-24D build and noticed a few horrifying things. First the kit came missing the decal sheet. This is a bit of a bummer, but seeing as their just Tamiya decals I'll let it slide. I got some aftermarket ones a few days ago. Next, the kit is supposed to come with two photoetch frets, but mine came with only one and it was missing pieces! And as a final middle finger thrown into my face, the kit is also missing all of the magnets, the canopy masks, and both self-adhesive metallic name plates. Now that's sorta a bummer especially with the hefty price tag, but it won't deter me from making this beauty.

So far in the world of aftermarket stuff, I've got pretty much everything you can get from Barracuda Studios. Pretty much all of the cockpit upgrades minus the cockpit placards. And some fancy aftermarket decals from Spruebrothers. I'm not sure who actually makes them, but I'll be sure to let you guys know when they arrive.

001_zpsherrp9fw.jpg

So to wrap things up, I have to say I'm kinda disappointed in tamiya with so many missing parts, but it's all good. I'm also REALLY excited to start this beast. Totally chomping at the bit. This will be my first time building a 1/32 kit, my first time working with resin, and my first time working with photoetch! I know, I'm such a nube! But hey, I'm young and dumb! XD. So to sum it all up, pretty terrified of screwing up this marvel of engineering. Stay tuned for some fun with plastic! Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Colin :)

Edited by Banana11000

Wait...you bought this new (from a reputable hobby shop I guess?), it was sealed and was still missing decals and parts? I can't see Tamiya just letting that happen, you should contact them, or the joint you bought it from.

Also, treat yourself to a set of these for the seat too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HGW-132032-1-32-P-51D-Mustang-Seatbelts-Wooden-Floor-for-Tamiya-kit-/271964786838?hash=item3f525d5096

Did you buy the kit second hand? I can't imagine a kit getting out of the Tamiya warehouse with that much stuff missing form it...

Really unfortunate, but a good deal nevertheless. The Barracuda stuff is outstanding. The kit isn't difficult to build. It fits like you wouldn't believe, it is a little involved, so just take care and make sure you pay attention to the instructions and you'll be fine.

I really look forward to seeing this one come together.

Just keep in mind that the floorboards on all WW2 Mustangs were painted black. Nice belts thought. Also, if you are missing decals, might want to grab a set of Fundekals P-51 stencils. They are supposed to be very comprehensive.

Good luck with this kit, looking forward to updates.

looks like a fun build! Just take your time and don't get in a rush I'm sure it will turn out great!

Thanks Adam!

Wait...you bought this new (from a reputable hobby shop I guess?), it was sealed and was still missing decals and parts? I can't see Tamiya just letting that happen, you should contact them, or the joint you bought it from.

Whitey, I got the kit from "Great Hobbies" It's a franchise store that's kinda popular here in the North. Never had problems from them. They just don't do returns on opened products. And yep was still sealed and everything when I got it and remained that way for a few years up until maybe 2 weeks ago. I contacted tamiya, still waiting to hear back. Thanks for the comment!

Just keep in mind that the floorboards on all WW2 Mustangs were painted black. Nice belts thought. Also, if you are missing decals, might want to grab a set of Fundekals P-51 stencils. They are supposed to be very comprehensive.

Good luck with this kit, looking forward to updates.

Thanks for the tip 11bee! I think I might just do that. and sure thing, pull up a chair mate! :) :beer4:

Hello Colin; Have a lot of fun with the huge beast!

Building a Mustang is always very interesting and brings a lot of joy.

Enjoy it!!

Hey Polo! I sure will! I'm really looking forward to something like a nice Tamiya kit. I've just been giving myself way too much grief lately. Still recovering from my monster B-24 build!

Thanks for the comments guys! Hopefully I'll have something to show you guys in the coming days... school permitting ;)

Cheers and happy modeling,

Colin

Hey guys! Thought I'd just post a small VERY, VERY, SMALL update. I don't even think this can be called an update. More like a "Teaser"

I started work on the resin seat from BarracudaCast. I have to say before I get into it, this is the first time I've seen resin in the flesh, and it looks really cool. Not to mention the beautiful molding on the part!

002_zpsck3u6qjb.jpg

I started painting and detailing the seat. I'm about halfway through. I've got the back of the seat all painted and a wee bit of weathering in there too.

008_zpstvytnxg7.jpg

Here it is under a magnifying glass.

009_zpstqh5mcum.jpg

This is just the first pass, I'll do some cleanup and detailing and whatnot. I have to say, I'm enjoying 1/32 alot. Easier on the eyes and there's opportunity for more detail :)

Well, that's all for tonight and unfortunately the next few days. I've got a calculus test on Wednesday, so I should probably put the mustang aside ;)

Cheers,

Colin

Very interesting so far. Good luck for your test!

Cheers. Polo.

Thanks Polo! My teacher decided to be malicious and moved the test up to today. Wasn't actually that bad. And now I've got more time to do some architecture hw and modeling! :D :D :woot.gif::woo::yahoo::banana::nanner: :D

Helloo fellow modelers! Today, I bring to you, yet another minuscule update! Today, besides from doing ridiculous amounts of homework, I finished up the seat for the P-51 and the backing plate. The painting was pretty straightforward, the base colours are NATO Green and NATO Black. Various acrylic colours were used from Citadel's range.

Went a little picture happy... soo yeah.

003_zpsy7dcxspl.jpg

I know, some of you mustang aficionados might be screaming, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, WHY ARE THOSE SEAT BELTS BROWN??" I know there's supposed to be pretty much the same colour green of the seat, but it just looked too drab.. A little boring. So I took some *Cough* "Artistic Liberties".

I have to say, the this seat from Barracuda is spectacular. The moulding is just fabulous! The only thing I'm not so happy about is an absence of a lever located on the bottom left of the seat. I just scratched one. Pretty simple.

005_zpsnna6yxfz.jpg

I also painted the backing plate. Pretty basic stuff.

012_zpsvmu9fgug.jpg

Here's the parts dry-fitted together. I'm probably going to hold off on glueing any major things together at the moment. I'm waiting on the cockpit placards set from barracudacals. They'll probably show up in the next week or so. I'll be turning my attentions to the wings probably.

013_zpsj9yushyd.jpg

For some of my non-modeling friends. A shot of the seat and a penny. I might just be making 1/32 my regular scale! More opportunities to add detail.

010_zpsno60byto.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Have a great night and thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Colin

:)

Je-sus that seat looks good Colin. How did you get the lettering and seatbelt stitching etc detail in there?

Thanks Thommo! This thing from barracuda is ridiculous. It came with a decal that read "U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES" I laid that on top of the seat, settled it down with some microscale setting solution. Before it fully dried, I took a brand-new razor sharp XACTO blade and cut along the join of the seat belts and the back. And the stitching is actually painted on! Again, the thing came with the decals for the stitching, but I didn't use them, they just kept breaking up and flying off into another dimension. I took a ridiculously small brush, I mean, like CRAZY small and painted it in. When I'm at the bench next, I'll take a picture of the brush. Anyways, I'll probably be giving the thing a Mattecoat to tie it all together. I had to lay down a glosscoat for the lettering.

Thanks for the comment! Sorry for the wall of text!

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Thommo! This thing from barracuda is ridiculous. It came with a decal that read "U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES" I laid that on top of the seat, settled it down with some microscale setting solution. Before it fully dried, I took a brand-new razor sharp XACTO blade and cut along the join of the seat belts and the back. And the stitching is actually painted on! Again, the thing came with the decals for the stitching, but I didn't use them, they just kept breaking up and flying off into another dimension. I took a ridiculously small brush, I mean, like CRAZY small and painted it in. When I'm at the bench next, I'll take a picture of the brush. Anyways, I'll probably be giving the thing a Mattecoat to tie it all together. I had to lay down a glosscoat for the lettering.

Cheers,

Colin

You painted that stitching!!!!! Damn if only I was young again.

Cheeesus, that's some serious detail painting skillz! Outstanding,how did you get the pattern of the stitches so exact?

Thanks Aigore! It was pretty much just trial and error and a LOT of colourful language. I actually kind of did it "Bass Ackwards" at first. I painted the seat belts black and filled in the cream colour around what I wanted to be left for stitching. I then just touched it up with black. A LOAD of work, but I think it was worth it :)

Cheers,

Colin

Cheers,

Colin

Awesome work, that seat is a little kit unto itself. I agree with you 100% on Baracuda. Their stuff is fantastic (and cheap)! I used a bunch of their resin over the years, all of it first rate. If that seat came from a certain outfit located in Eastern Europe, it would cost 5 times as much (and would probably be minus the decals).