1/48 F-104C 57-928

Just finished installing the avionics bay seal. I used sheet stock cut to .020"x.020" to make the seal retainer. Looks a lot better with the boxes in that compartment. Just need to fix up the aft ammo bay wall which is my next item to tackle.

P1150159%20copy.jpg

P1150160%20copy.jpg

P1150161%20copy.jpg

P1150162%20copy.jpg

Cheers,

John

• 2 months later...

Well a little over 2 months away from this project and now I'm back to hopefully finish it by the deadline.

Got a nice coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 on yesterday and am now ready to do the camo work. I'm using Akan paints for this. I'm more of a Timiya acrylic user but don't feel like mixing for this one so the Akan paints are getting the nod here. I'll be back here later today with an update.

P1150174%20copy.jpg

P1150175%20copy.jpg

Cheers,

John

Color is going on but I'm not too sure I'll get it finished in time. I'll finish the paint in the morning and work on the other bits while it's drying.

This is my first camo job using the Akan paints and I must say they do lay down nice. A bit more tip drying than I'm used to with Tamiya but it's manageable. I did some test spraying using the Akan acrylic thinner but I wasn't too happy with it. After a bit of searching the net I tried using Tamiya X-20A thinner and it vastly improved the spraying for me. I think the Akan thinner is just distilled water with a retarder added. I like spraying Tamiya acrylics over Akan but you can't beat their color selection and accuracy.

P1150177%20copy.jpg

P1150178%20copy.jpg

P1150179%20copy.jpg

P1150180%20copy.jpg

Cheers,

John

Slow progress. Have the Olive Green on and will be shooting the dark green this morning. I might try putting a bit more retarder in as the tip drying is way worse than expected with the Akan paints. Makes for a tedious job when spraying camouflage schemes.

P1150181%20copy.jpg

P1150182%20copy.jpg

P1150183%20copy.jpg

Cheers,

John