1/48 Hobbycraft F8F Bearcat

Started work on the Bearcat, since this is my first build this year I'm keeping it simple. The interior was painted with Pally Scale acrylic interior green, the sidewalls have some detail molded in but it is pretty basic. Opened up the holes in the wings for the cannon bulges and underwing stores. Of course one of the cannon bulges was lost to the carpet monster so I had to carve one of them out of a piece from the spare box, under a coat of paint it will be hard to tell the difference.

20150923_132320.jpg

The Bearcat is coming along. The overall fit has been good, no real need for filler, just some Mr. Surfacer on the seams. The first coat of paint is a little rough and has some flaws so there is some sanding to do to smooth it out before another coat. The Glossy Sea Blue is an acrylic from Color of Eagles, I tried with some Aeromaster enamel but it looked really dark, more gray than blue maybe due to the age of the paint.

The kit comes with some 500 lb bombs, but no rockets and the bombs didn't look great so I found some extra bombs and rockets in the spares box.

I 20150927_172216.jpg

Bearcat is coming along well, despite a bunch of self imposed problems. The paint has been a struggle, and it is still far from perfect. The kit itself is pretty good, the fit is not bad I used some Mr. Surfacer on the seams the only one that was extra work is on the tail. The decals went down well with just Microsol and I was happy and surprised the white is mostly opaque.

Fortunately the decals are fairly easy to figure out because the instructions in the kit are pretty bad. There are few color callouts and the decal instructions are vague.

Since these pictures I started on the landing gear. I'll finish the decals this weekend and with a little luck have the finished product on the shelf this week.

20151003_104459.jpg

20151003_104514.jpg

20151003_104426.jpg

It looks really nice. Does hobbycraft give you anything to hang under the wings?

The kit includes a fuel tank, and has the option for 500 lb bombs or napalm tanks under the wings. The kit has the pylons for rockets but no rockets, so I am using some from the spares box.

• 3 weeks later...