USS Daniel Webster SSBN-626

This is the new Mikro-Mir kit of the USS Lafayette class FBM sub that I have converted to the one-off USS Daniel Webster SSBN-626.

Daniel Webster had the normally sail-mounted dive planes moved to a 'mini-sail' on the upper bow to try to solve some porpoising problems.

The system worked, but reduced top speed, so, during a later re-fit they were removed and restored to the sail position.

The conversion simply involved making a new mini-sail from plastic card and mounting it, with the kit dive planes, onto the bow....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_11.jpg

The new configuration completely alters the look of the boat.....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_12.jpg

......and resulted in her being nicknamed ''Old Funny Fins'.....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_13.jpg

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_14.jpg

Close up of the home-made 'mini-sail'.......

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_15.jpg

The decals for Daniel Webster are included in the Mikro-Mir kit of the USS Lafayette - so I suspect that they will be releasing a kit of this boat eventually, but I couldn't wait. [:coolio:/>/>]

In fact, the Lafayette kit includes a great set of decals with pennant numbers and markings for all the FBM's in both the Lafayette and later James Maddison classes - as well as for early and late colour schemes.

I have another Lafayette kit to make as a 'normal' boat.....

Ken

PS - Some photos of the kit and construction here