1:48 - Lockheed T-33A (early & late) T-Bird kits by GWH

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would have been nice to have that about three years ago.... May I ask where you located it? It's not in the collection of the NMUSAF or NASM.

I'm in the UK, but I got the manual from one of those "aircraft manual selling vendors" on the internet. It wasn't cheap, but I knew that the data was in it (someone had sent me a single page extract, but unfortunately didn't have any more) and it was still a bargain compared to what the 3D scan cost me... My 3D scan was taken at Duxford at the brief time when the aircraft was taken down from the ceiling display and is now dismantled to be shipped back to the US.

Duxford%20Fuse_zps6gb1kq6x.jpg

Duxford%20Wings_zpslehsangq.jpg

For years we didn't have an accurate T-33 and there was absolutely no sign or hint that "someone" was working on one so I took the plunge. We could have somehow cooperated on this one, sometimes secrecy does work against you. That's why I keep quite open about my projects, at least once I've started working on them.

J

Seriously. . that's IT?!? Honestly, I'm going to go with the view that they've done it exactly right. The only way to get the finesse for them bearing in mind how thin they are would be to mould them in place. PE would look awful. A few minutes to remove is the most very basic of modelling tasks. I was expecting something as obvious as an F-16's scab plates. That? I'm not even certain they're obvious enough to bother removing TBH.

Couldn't agree more. I've never seen PE 'plates' look as good in practice as they do in theory.

I'm OK with it, if anyone is upset with it send their kits my way. I'll sand them off for you and get the kit right back in the mail for you. :)/>/>

It's easier to sand off that detail then to add it when needed.

Agreed. It was easily sanded away on the Czech Model 1/32 kit. Don't know why it would be any different on this kit.

Tom

Here is something interesting that happened to me today that is T-33 related. In my office at work I have about 3 calendars up and they are all aircraft related. One of them was actually given to me by one of our suppliers. I think he knows I like aircraft :)

Anyway, I was a little late turning over one of them from March to April since been pretty busy. So this morning I flip it over and what do I see but a T-33 in silver and day-glo marking with American star and bars in flight. No USAF or buzz number so I am guessing it is a civil operator.

I thought it was timely that this was on my calendar for April and we may see the GWH T-33 this month. Hmmm spooky kids :lol:

Ok back to your regular programming :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

Taken during a formation trip while training in 1971.

Interesting note of the two types of roundel leaves in that photo. Clearly shows off the 'They're repainted when we get to it' mode of operation.

As far as the Su-27 is concerned for B.Sin, I'm not sure what that is, probably Russian though, however, I'm not so sure "we all" is an accurate statement. If anything, I think "we all" would love to see the Banshee -2 and -3, since KH has seemed to have forgotten about it.

Cheers

Brad

As far as the Su-27 is concerned for B.Sin, I'm not sure what that is, probably Russian though, however, I'm not so sure "we all" is an accurate statement. If anything, I think "we all" would love to see the Banshee -2 and -3, since KH has seemed to have forgotten about it.

Cheers

Brad

The Su-27 is a Russian heavy fighter.

Brad

Just had word that samples of the completed kits are on their way to me as of today, so the general release should be imminent.

Sure hope they took care of those fuselage doublers. :whistle:/>

Anyway, can't wait to see what GWH has produced this time. I'm on my third F-15 kit from them and it sure is sweet.

:cheers:/>

John

Just saw an early review on Modeling Madness this morning. One item really had me wondering. It looks like all the gear and dive brake doors are molded up or closed! HEH??? The builder would have to cut all these free??

Jim

Just saw an early review on Modeling Madness this morning. One item really had me wondering. It looks like all the gear and dive brake doors are molded up or closed! HEH??? The builder would have to cut all these free??

Jim

I also was under the impression that reviewer didn't actually have the sprue, he was commenting on the instructions. I can't see any manufacturer molding them shut.

The review only posted images of the box, decals, and instructions.

We could ask Jennings although he was banned.