Save a model or (s)crap it

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should i bite the bullit?

• Yep.
    • Hell no, run.

Ok, to give the question some context, first a little personal history.

Three years ago my fiancé and i bought a old house. We moved in and started renovating.

On the ground level we have 2 rooms that aren't renovated yet and that we use as storage. We don't come here often (once a week to pick up some stuff) so that will explain some things further along.

Anyway, one of the things i store there are models that i put aside for awhile when i run into a problem that needs thinking over or when i lost the mojo on it. I currently have six models pending. One of these models is a Revell 1/144 Airbus A320. I was going to finish it in Aer Lingus colors but was still looking for the right colors and had a problem painting the white (which i found a sollution for). Because the model was a good way along and i wanted to protect it from damage, i put it in an opentop cardboard box with soft padding on the bottom. I left the top open so that when carrying it i could see the model and know if my movement weren't hurting it (a lot of overkill here).

So today i was walking into the 'storage rooms' and it smelled really bad. I knew right then and there that my cat had decided to scip the litterbox and do his job there.

As you can already guess, after 2 minutes i discovered he had been using the carboard box as a litterbox more than once.

So now i have a cardboard box sitting outside with a A320 in it, it's horizontal stabilizers, tail and one engine covered in feces.

Now the question: save it by cleaning it, or dump it.

Before you answer, know that i scratch build a cockpit for it and redisigned the cockpitwindow because that one is horrible in the kit.

Let the voting begin.

Edited by streetstream

Put on some gloves, clean it with some soap and water, hit it with some mild bleach water to disinfect it, and get back to it. A little poop never hurt anyone. OK, so maybe some people have died from poop for one reason or another....but don't let that stop you!

:cheers:

Justin

May i should bite the bullit. In january we are expecting our first child so it could prepare me for having my hands dealing with poop.

This.

If it bothers you today, this exercise will help you get over it. Excretions from any and all orifices are a part of the joy. Sometimes, you get to deal with all of them at the same time.

You probably do want to use gloves for a cat. As for your child, well, body parts are easily washed. It would be naive to think only hands--your and theirs--will ever need to deal with this. I'm just sayin'...

Oh, what to do with the cat is a different question.

Bite the bullet and clean the crap off! My ex had a cat that would urinate in boxes and I discovered that he was using a box that had a bunch of my un-built kits in it. It was a bit easier to clean this one up than an earlier stray the ex had picked up that sprayed the inside of my motorcycle helmet. Talk about a mess.

Put on some gloves, clean it with some soap and water, hit it with some mild bleach water to disinfect it...

Justin

And just to be clear, Justin was referring to the cat here and not the model...

:lol:

I kid obviously.

Regards,

Don.

I've got allergies so when I get any object that will support it, I leave it out in the rain for a week. While you're doing that, shave the cat, trim his whiskers and put masking tape on his paws. That'll teach 'em! :naughty:

If you've put sufficient work into this model, get your favorite cleaner and get to work. Afterwards, expose it to fresh air for a while or go to an auto supply store and buy some deodorizer.

hth

Ok, i bought myself some cleaning gloves and this evening we'll start the cleaning. I also need to remove the current attempt at painting white (i recently learned about spraying matt first to cover the colors underneath and than hit it with a glosss coat.

My recommendation for the gloss white is Mr Color #1. It's a pure white. There's another, Super White, that's a touch warm.

Anyway, like all Mr. Color, mist coats on until you have good opaque coverage, then lay on a final wet coat. You'll be quite amazed at the results. I suppose the same approach will also work for other paint formulations, but I find Mr Color gloss colors really do work well.

I haven't tried, but I keep reading that airline modelers tend to use spray bombs for white.

OK, i cleaned it.

Damage report:

- Static wicks on both elevators are lost (not a big problem)

- three of the four what i assume are vortex generators on the engine are lost and the last one is detached (kan be made out of plasticard).

Other than that, it is fine.