Jets 1/48 vs 1/32

What scale does everyone build and prefer and why? I love 1/32 jets, great detail and so easy to work with the parts. Some say so expensive but I don't agree. Take a 1/48 F/A-18 Hasegawa kit, expensive, then if you get AM exhaust, cockpit, weapons, pods, wheels, decals, etc it could be over $200 plus once done. I got an Academy 1/32 F/A-18, resin exhaust, cockpit, decals in the kit are high quality, some resin wheels all under $200 and the kit is loaded with weapons.

I love the Hornet and Navy jest, just frustrated that Academy has not moved on and released a 1/32 super hornet, as the only one out there is Trumpeter E and F and I have only read and heard bad things about those kits.

I build both...why limit yourself?

You know, it is funny you mention that. I too, have asked myself that very question. Why does it have to be ONLY 1/48 for me? I really can't find an reason, other than I tend to do things in an orderly and consistent fashion in most aspects of my life. I think I also like the fact that all my display builds will be the correct size relative to each other. Other than that, I cannot think of a reason to stay to one scale...

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

Mostly 1/48, but I build my favourites in 1/32. Shelf space is the biggest consideration for me. I have 4 x 1/32 CF-104s built, plus 2 more kits; 2 x 1/32 CF-18s built, plus 2 more kits... you get the idea.

Kit selection is more available in 1/48, especially for less well-known subjects like the F-5A/B, CT-114 Tutor, G-91... etc.

Many kits by Revell/Monogram are far cheaper in 1/48 than a 1/32 version as well. If you're just looking to build a basic kit OOB, 1/48 is often the better choice, given the price, ease of building, plus the variety of kits available.

I don't limit myself! Love the detail on 1/32, love the price and availability in 1/48.

ALF

Until recently, space concerns have kept me with 1/72. I still build a lot in 1/72 as most of my stash is in that scale. But I've been finding 1/48 builds more fun to actually, you know, BUILD lately. I may end up filling up my display space more quickly, but that's where the wind blows these days. In ten years it might be 1/32,or back to 1/72, or maybe a major producer will realize that 1/64 is the ideal scale and we'll all be trading in our collections for those :D/>

Edited by RKic

Mostly 48th with a few 32nd as well. I have a few 72nd's to build as well. Some of it has to do with price and costs associated to the project. Some of it has to do with storage space when they're done. Some of it has to do with a desire to build multiple scales of the same aircraft. Some of it is based on reviews from fellow modelers and other websites. Some of it has to do with ease of assembly. Some of it has to do with seeing a kit built up and saying to myself, "I'd like to do one of those too." Some of it has to do with being given a kit or decals as a gift. Some of it has to do with giving a kit away to a worthy recipient after it's finished. Some of it has to do with how much detail and effort I want to put into the kit. Some of it has to do with seeing distinctive markings on a bigger jet so they're easier to see and more visually appealing. I'm sure there are more reasons but that's what my brain is allowing me to come up with at the moment.

Mike

I prefer 1:32 as my personal scale because I can see what I'm doing. But my prefered subject matter in that scale is sort of limited and I generally build vendor table display models in various scales anyway.

If you are going to build multiple scales, 1/48 and 1/144 for me, having the same aircraft in each scale will help others to better grok the scales. I also intend to add a figure to explain 1/144 scale; I already a 1/48 figure.

Everybody builds what they like. Just that simple.

Agree with Jennings there. I like 1/48 cos its big enough and has good details. Slowly gravitation over to 1/32 cos the eyes are not keeping up anymore. I buy 1/72 diecast for stuff I don't have the time to build

I started out doing 48th scale kits back in the 80s with Monogram F-105s and F-101s etc. For a short time I tried doing 72nd Jets and 48th scale props. I accumulated Fujimii F-4s, A-7s, A-4s and Hasegawa Stuff too. I sold off some of my 48th scale stuff. After giving a fairly good try I just decided it wasn't my scale. Eyesight was going down hill as I was turning 40 so that didn't help things. I sold off all the 72nd scale stuff and started accumulating 48th again. ( You know the modeller's credo - buy high and sell low :rolleyes: The point is for me I have never been able to mix the scales. Just some part of my brain that says they can't be mixed and I am ok with it. It is a sort of a self limiting device that prevents me from buying every kit ever made. I have allowed myself to get a Tamiya 1/32 Mustang and a Hasegawa Thunderbolt. We'll see how that goes. Shelves aren't really set up for stuff that big. A couple years ago I tried to do a 1/350 ship (Hasegawa Gambier Bay). I got all the big pieces together, but when i had to start putting all the little guns and airplanes together I shelved it. Really weird hobby!

Geoff M

What scale does everyone build and prefer and why? I love 1/32 jets, great detail and so easy to work with the parts. Some say so expensive but I don't agree. Take a 1/48 F/A-18 Hasegawa kit, expensive, then if you get AM exhaust, cockpit, weapons, pods, wheels, decals, etc it could be over $200 plus once done.

1/72nd scale, of course. Not just because its less expensive and more fit on a bookshelf. Many subjects only come in 1/72nd scale. Lots of subjects would be ridiculous in 1/48th scale, and insane in 1/32nd scale. Think B-52, B-2A, B-36, YB-49, etc. Yes, an F-5 or MiG-21 is dinky in 1/72nd, scale, but an F-4, F-14 or MiG-25 is not. If you want all of your jets in the same scale, 1/72nd scale is the way to go. I save 1/48th scale for WWII, and 1/32nd scale for WW I.