El Zona Cinco

Anybody got any insights as to what took the site down this time?

It was taking forever to load a topic/thread over there, this is directly related to how efficiently the database executes queries. Many people were complaining about how slow the site had become, pretty sure they ended up with a corrupted database.

I don't know what forum software they use, wondering if other users have had similar issues.

Still down.....anyone know what the go is this time?

According to a few posts on their FB page, it's dead. Like, for real this time. Not sure, but I guess the forum crashed and they've given up the ghost.

No further information at this time.

Apparently, the crash affected several forums on the same provider, so that may have something to do with it as well.

According to a few posts on their FB page, it's dead. Like, for real this time. Not sure, but I guess the forum crashed and they've given up the ghost.

No further information at this time.

Apparently, the crash affected several forums on the same provider, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Are you actually reading the Facebook group, or are you idly speculating? Because, well, your facts wrong. The admin team is working on cleaning up the spam accounts, and using the downtime to upgrade the software in the process to stop the spammers that seem to be causing the issues.

From the guy who's taken over:

Ok, as some of you may have seen,I've assumed complete control of zone five. Dave will be sticking around to help admin the forum itself, but I have ownership as of today (at least, inasmuch as one can own a site that is run and funded by its membership) Dave has assured that he will transfer the remainder of the donated funds to my PayPal as well as making sure I have all the "keys".

Now... I'm only human, and I have a life. I will contact go daddy tonight when I get to work (I have about 4 hours of free time in front of a computer when I work) and see about restoring admin access so I can clean out whatever mess caused this (it sounds a lot like what shut us down the first time)

Once that is done and also once I've heard back from Thomas, we're going to upgrade the site software so this doesn't happen again (the version of Vbulletin we currently use has all the security integrity of a wet paper sack ). We've had the software for a while and we've continually put off the upgrade. That one is on me and I apologize.

What I'm asking for from you guys is a little patience. (Again). Depending on how soon I hear from Thomas, the site may or may not be back up before the software upgrade (it should only take a day once we start the upgrade). With any luck I'll have the lights back on within a day or two.

Thanks to Dave for keeping us afloat as long as he has. It's a bigger responsibility than many people think, and a very thankless job. Hopefully I can devote enough time to make things run a little smoother.

We aren't done yet. Not if I have anything to say about it.

Nothing related past that, and that was two days ago.

The admin team is working on cleaning up the spam accounts, and using the downtime to upgrade the software in the process to stop the spammers that seem to be causing the issues.

Oh, well, there you have it! Good news all around.

Free tacos for everybody! Guac is extra.