Wow! What a surprise!

I'm a member of the Heart of America CAF wing in Kansas and we're having our air show this weekend. I was helping out with hospitality this morning when a CAF member came up to me and told me in a very serious voice that I needed to come with him. I followed him out of the hangar where he proceeded to tell me I needed to fill out a hold harmless form because....there was an extra seat on Fifi and they voted that I should be the one take a ride! What an experience. I got to sit in the radio operator's seat up front in the cockpit. It was an extremely smooth ride. I'm still pumped about it. Once I figure how to download pictures from my iPhone to my PC, I'll post a couple that I took.

Wow, that's killer Darren! Please do post some pics when you can.

When Fifi was grounded in Midland for repairs I had the honor of volunteering to work on her a for a couple of days back in 2009 and 2010. It was an amazing experience and I was able to crawl all through her from front to back. Turning wrenches on Fifi is something I'll never forget!

Here are a few of the photos I took (shot with a small point and shoot so excuse the quality):

Fifi_right%20side_zpsve8m5kk2.jpg

Fifi_top%20side_me%20on%20the%20wing_zps0ouomaig.jpg

checklist_zpsfe8or1jh.jpg

Fifi_cockpit_zpsrithkuar.jpg

DSC04573.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

DSC04608.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

And finally me, assembling the #2 outboard exhaust stack:

DSC05063.jpg

-Derek

In some cases the phrase "couldn't happen to a better/nicer person" is a bit overused, but in this case I honestly believe it definitely applies.....good on ya DRob, ya gonna go and build a Monovell B-29 SuperFort now? :woot.gif::whistle: , :hmmm: I think I saw some decals for FiFi somewhere.

That is cool Darren. The old girl still looks good! I remember when the CAF was headquartered here in Harlingen when I was a kid. Everyday after school me and a buddy would go and help clean the aircraft and service them. Helped fuel FiFi several times at airshows here. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Derek

Nice pictures of the old girl!