As I wait for things to dry on my A-37, I decided to pull out another Monogram classic. The A-4 kit first appeared in 1977. The latest incarnation is showing its age. The detail is beginning to look soft, and areas like the cockpit are not as nice as monogram's 1980s kits.

The nice pilot figure should dress up the cockpit nicely though. Here he is doing his best Slim Pickens on the finished drop tanks. I hope the rest of the kit fits better than these things did.

IMG_20150926_202622396_HDR_zpsrg9bmcmf.jpg

Johnny in the cockpit.

IMG_20150930_205457034_zpsxoicm6ck.jpg

The pit is pretty basic, but I'm glad I didn't spend any time or money on detailing it, as almost nothing is visible once closed up.

IMG_20150930_205606777_zpsq11f3hsq.jpg

Edited by RKic
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting back to this one. Here is a tip I picked up from others. Add spacers inside the fuselage to give it a bit more width. It will make the wing fit better.

IMG_20151017_241233851_HDR_zpstxhowy5i.jpg

Better, but not great. I have some serious stepping at the gun fairings.

IMG_20151017_122848358_HDR_zpsvn16vyj1.jpg

To those in the know. The Monogram kit has all kinds of probes and aerials sticking out of the fuselage. But the kit is designed to build an E or an F. Which of these should be removed to build a Gulf of Tonkin period E? The paint guide shows all but one removed from the aircraft, but that may just be to simplify the drawing.

Spectre, HAJO; than you, gentlemen. :)

The face was painted with Vallejo shadows flesh, followed by a thin coat of sunny flesh (or some such), which was applied in a a way to avoid the area immediately around the eye slits. I really just left a thin brown line. The way the paint flows, it did the rest of the subtle shading on its own! I love Vallejo!

but damn, don't even look at it funny, or it'll peal right off! :(

Spectre, HAJO; than you, gentlemen. :)/>

The face was painted with Vallejo shadows flesh, followed by a thin coat of sunny flesh (or some such), which was applied in a a way to avoid the area immediately around the eye slits. I really just left a thin brown line. The way the paint flows, it did the rest of the subtle shading on its own! I love Vallejo!

but damn, don't even look at it funny, or it'll peal right off! :(/>

You make it sound easy but it wouldn't look that good if I did it! :bandhead2:

Dean