New 1/48 Kinetic Hornet Kits

I respectfully Disagree as the Legacy F/A-18 has many followers as there are many world operators. I think that the 4 Hase Bugs I am Hoarding will be accentuated quite well with whatever Kinetic puts out. I was hoping that Academy would upscale or down scale their 1/72nd/1/32nd scale offerings...... but i'll be glad if Kinetic does it.

You will always have the F-4 Guys F-14 folks and the BF-109 guys.....add F/A-18 to that too.

Emil

I'm reserving judgement for when I have the actual plastic in my hands. With the first release being billed as a CF-188, I am keen on whether or not Kinetic includes the Canadian specific parts (ie: correct main gear, fat pylon, etc.) and if they are included, that they are done correctly. I have asked about the Canadian specific stuff many times, and I have yet to get an answer from Kinetic (Gordon, if you are reading this, please let me know), so again, I will reserve judgement. If the Canadian specific stuff is in the kit, great, if not, it would be a bit of a let down, especially considering the amount of info there is regarding the CF-18.

In my honest opinion there is no need for a new F/A-18. The Hasegawa kit is just fine and there are tons of aftermarket items available if you want more.

The fit in the rear is a little challenging but everything else is just great.

With a modicum of skill the Hasegawa kit is just the bees knees!

Except the Hasegawa kit makes zero amount of money for Kinetic. Never did understand why people don't want more choices. I can kind of see the argument that they could spend their money and development time on something that hasn't been done so much, BUT it's still another option so I say bring it on. Just my opinion.

Bill

I'm reserving judgement for when I have the actual plastic in my hands. With the first release being billed as a CF-188, I am keen on whether or not Kinetic includes the Canadian specific parts (ie: correct main gear, fat pylon, etc.) and if they are included, that they are done correctly. I have asked about the Canadian specific stuff many times, and I have yet to get an answer from Kinetic (Gordon, if you are reading this, please let me know), so again, I will reserve judgement. If the Canadian specific stuff is in the kit, great, if not, it would be a bit of a let down, especially considering the amount of info there is regarding the CF-18.

With Rick's involvement I am sure these details will be recognized. Rick was the driving force behind this project.

Except the Hasegawa kit makes zero amount of money for Kinetic. Never did understand why people don't want more choices. I can kind of see the argument that they could spend their money and development time on something that hasn't been done so much, BUT it's still another option so I say bring it on. Just my opinion.

Bill

Agreed. But maybe it's a brand thing. I wonder if this same reaction will be seen if it was Tamiya that announced a new Hornet vis-a-vis Kinetic.

Mark

Agreed. But maybe it's a brand thing. I wonder if this same reaction will be seen if it was Tamiya that announced a new Hornet vis-a-vis Kinetic.

Mark

Tamiya has only been releasing weird stuff in 1/48 as of late (which isn't much). I've bought them all too though. Imagine if they would release something hugely popular in 1/48?

I wish they would do something popular.

Dear all,

Running a model kit company like taking course in college, sometimes you miss, sometimes you hit. The bottom line is whether we can stay afloat to keep on learning anx improving.

Many of you may not satify our F16, A6, EA6B with those items tooled from 2008 to 2013 where we still learning how to deliver product with affortability, controlled cost. So we can move along till today.

For those who work around our Mirage III, Harrier FA2 and FRS1 will see some improvement over the previous kit like A6. For those who work on the AMX released in 2015, the builability is largely improved.

Taking the Windows development history, the F16, Mirage 2000, E2C were windows 1.0, the Kfir, Mirage IIIE, Harrier FA2, Fouga are 2.0, the AMX and SuE are 3.0

The FA18 is ranked as.. windows 7 in and it will be accumulated all experience from previous release.

Besides, the FA18 will be tooled by a new subcontractor which you may see their quality on the market. With the price you think is high quality. At Kinetic we target to deliver the quality with afforable price.

Anyway, let see it in 2016. More and more item will follow with this new technological approach.

Great to hear! Bring us high tech, Hasegawa killer F-18 model :D

And also more fifth generation fighters, please!

In my honest opinion there is no need for a new F/A-18. The Hasegawa kit is just fine and there are tons of aftermarket items available if you want more.

The fit in the rear is a little challenging but everything else is just great.

With a modicum of skill the Hasegawa kit is just the bees knees!

thats like saying " well hasegawa F-16's are the best." So we dont need tamiya to come out with one. Then poof. Tamiya's kit is great and everyone unloads the hasegawa kits

The post from Raymond was very encouraging. The Hasegawa kit is good but too expensive. The Hobby Boss kit has an oddly shaped curve atop the vertical stabs. If it is comparable to their F-5A/B offerings, it should be a winner. I am very much looking forward to this kit.

ALF

• 3 months later...

"Taking the Windows development history, the F16, Mirage 2000, E2C were windows 1.0, the Kfir, Mirage IIIE, Harrier FA2, Fouga are 2.0, the AMX and SuE are 3.0"

By the way Mr. Raymond, when does Kinetic will revisit the F-16 molds to bringing they to actual standards?

SouthViper

"Taking the Windows development history, the F16, Mirage 2000, E2C were windows 1.0, the Kfir, Mirage IIIE, Harrier FA2, Fouga are 2.0, the AMX and SuE are 3.0"

By the way Mr. Raymond, when does Kinetic will revisit the F-16 molds to bringing they to actual standards?

SouthViper

You tell me when we should.

While I look forward to all the new releases that have been announced by all the newer kit makers, I now wait until I can either actually see the plastic or read reviews online before buying a new kit from the newer eastern manufacturers. Nothing against them, I appreciate their efforts. However, I really need to see the plastic and read the reviews and comments of other modelers before I spend my money. Kits are far more expensive now and the expense of buying a disappointing kit that falls short of expectations is a thing I wish to avoid. I hope Kinetic's F/A-18 series is a hit but I will wait until reliable reviews are available before considering buying one.

For what it's worth I see very little value for Kinetic in going backwards and retooling subjects already done. I would much rather see them invest their cash in better quality future releases. I mean it's not like there isn't a hundred wish list items that pop up whenever the question is asked.

For what it's worth I see very little value for Kinetic in going backwards and retooling subjects already done. I would much rather see them invest their cash in better quality future releases. I mean it's not like there isn't a hundred wish list items that pop up whenever the question is asked.

I disagree. I think this is great. Hasegawa has been the standard for 48th Hornets for a while, but early A/B models have become nearly impossible to find and these days, Hasegawa kits are running over $100 (here in Canada, anyways). Kinetic has delivered on some great wishlist items, but taking a crack at something that has already been tooled by other companies, isn't a bad thing either. :thumbsup:

I have to disagree Andrew.

There is no 1/48 F-16A/B/D/F/Sufa etc kits up to the standard of Tamiya's F-16C. I'd love Kinetic to produce those kits at an equivalent standard of the SuE or Su 33. Those 2 kits are the nicest Kinetic kit's I've seen, and probably the best kits I've seen in the last 12 months (Easily equal to the AMK Mig 31 IMHO)

More competition is good.

As others have stated, the Hasegawa Hornet may be the gold standard thus far, but not having any weapons kind of sucks. Kinetic, AMK, Great Wall, etc. usually include a decent selection of weapons with their kits, which gives us useful choices (everything from clean to loaded for bear). In comparison, Hasegawa essentially tells us to "go look in the spares box" or "spend more money on weapon sets," which certainly gives the impression that, accuracy aside, their kits provide less build freedom and less value for money.

The likes of Hasegawa and Tamiya have produced kits that have been rightly praised for their quality, accuracy, etc. But perhaps they are getting too comfortable, perhaps even arrogant, at the top. The number of properly new kits that they release per year can also often be counted on one hand. How many times have we complained about Hasegawa skimping on weapons and simply changing the decals for "new" releases. And remember how Tamiya initially expected us to buy their 1/72 F-16CJ when it was actually an incomplete product? What kind of attitude was that?

If Kinetic and co. can continue to up their game and fill out their product lineups with comparable quality kits at competitive prices, they can disrupt the market. At the very least they can cause the Japanese manufacturers to take the competition a bit more seriously and release products that are more in line with what modelers demand today. Look at how Hasegawa started to include weapons with their recent 1/72 kits.

So long story short, Kinetic is giving us another option to think about, and if it turns out to be as good as claimed, then all the better.

a little off topic but Id like to see modern accurate pilot figures in all new aircraft

:rofl: That's so true! If ya've got the kits 'n' the time for it, compare the size of the pilot figures in the Airfix 1/48 Lightnin' F-1/F-1A/F-2/F-3 kit 'n' the Monogram 1/48 Hog kit... :rolleyes: It's like

Los_gemelos_golpean_dos_veces-776716041-large.jpg

Which one is overscaled...? Or which one is underscaled...?