New 1/48 Kinetic Hornet Kits

How it is possbile to make such serious mistakes and issues in such beautiful (in general) kit?

It is very cheap to re-use existing sprues. It is very expensive to tool new sprues. So instead of reinventing the wheel by tooling missiles they've already made, they can spend that money elsewhere in the development of the new kit. Even if the old parts aren't up to the same standards.

I know, I understand it. But is is not fair to put such ugly weapons and pods inside the box with such beautiful model.

It is just not fair.

It is good I can still use Eduard's ordnance and pods. This model deserves a little better dressing. :)

Very true..... didn't we have a Hornet with C tails? I'm not talking about the ones we got for parts but one that actually flew.

I may have told you it backwards, 767 was rebuilt in Spain, It has a C model forward fuselage.

Colin is correct about the tub having 1 C model tail.

I know, I understand it. But is is not fair to put such ugly weapons and pods inside the box with such beautiful model.

It is just not fair.

It is good I can still use Eduard's ordnance and pods. This model deserves a little better dressing. :)/>

Dear Solo

Sorry the missile set disappoint you, but in order to make the hornet affordable we would like to test the market with reusing the US Common weapon Sprue.

We are considering to tool new mold to replace this aging weapon since 2008 for all US type weapon in next 2017 onward.

We put extensive resources in the main body of the hornet and hope you like it.

We are considering to tool new mold to replace this aging weapon since 2008 for all US type weapon in next 2017 onward.

Ooh. That would be a good alternative to the weapon sets done by Hasegawa which are rather outdated. It is a good opportunity to have some newer weapons like the Enhanced Paveway and LJDAM done in plastic.

Mark

What do you want in the new Sprue ?

Well firstly a Hornet appropriate left handed Litening Pod and the appropriate adaptor fairing to allow it to be mounted to the left hand cheek station on the Hornet. That is a major gap in both kit and aftermarket for a modern US Marine, RAAF and Spanish Hornet.

See here for an example:

http://asian-defence-news.blogspot.com/2015/10/northrop-grumman-to-continue-logistics.html

Just my 2c.

Raymond, what about the new, corrected manual for Hornet?

May we expect it somewhere on your website soon?

What do you want in the new Sprue ?

Maybe everything not available from Eduard, and necessary for Hornet?

GBU-31, GBU-38, AAS-38 with pod and ASQ-228 with pod as well.

Raymond, maybe it could be s good idea to make something like Improvement Set for this Hornet, with new vertical stabilizers, missing antennas, and those weapons?

You could also think about low drag pylon, used by Swiss Hornets:

J-5001_4.jpg

And AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod as well.

Edited by Solo

Raymond, maybe it could be s good idea to make something like Improvement Set for this Hornet, with new vertical stabilizers, missing antennas, and those weapons?

You could also think about low drag pylon, used by Swiss Hornets:

J-5001_4.jpg

And AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod as well.

Actually we try to fix the vertical tail before but not on time schedule and budget.

As for the weapon option since F-18 is carrying too many configuration of weapon, we afraid to jack up the cost too far.

Anyway we will post some update manual on the Facebook soon to reflect the changes. The missing detail on the blister will be added.

As for the weapon option, do you what to have everything in one box (with higher price) or optional package to let the customer pick what they want.

As mentioned in another thread, we used to provide everything inside the box like our F-16 series. From consumer point of view that is great. But running the operation for years as well as delivering over 60 kits so far. We examine the cost on additional weapon (more than one model can put into) would have less benefit for the consumer in the long run.

For example our F-16 includes tons of weapons and I guess most of your guy would put half of the Sprue into the spare box. The more often you build the more spare parts you have. Well for the same amount of money the consumer are happy. Just as you indicated in F-18 the aim120 Sprue has been produced around 450,000 pcs since 2008. If we can save some of unused parts just the injection cost alone can deliver a new subject with current F-18 quality.

So in recent years we changed our style into multiple version in one box target for different region. Like the SuE we separate the modernise weapon into the tow tractor. The idea behind SuE is that we estimate 75% of SuE consumer will build the Falkland war version first and the modernise version in the 2nd box. With the modernise version if we add in the tow tractor, figures it will be good to produce a carrier deck diorama. Well the market will tell whether our estimation is right or wrong.

For the F-18, we invest heavily into the core parts leave the others into lower priority. Because we have do better than other product on the market and the hornet is a long standing items for our company. (We do the estimation that in 5 yrs times, the consumer may buy 3-5 hornet and 1-2 su-33 and 1 SuE) therefore making the hornet easy to build and affordble to build is the prime factor.

We are now collecting feedback from all of you to decide which new weapon should be included or retool in the new mold which also include some option for subsequence release. Again another classic naval fighter.

Thanks Raymond for sharing the philosophy behind the subjects and releases.

But...

We are now collecting feedback from all of you to decide which new weapon should be included or retool in the new mold which also include some option for subsequence release. Again another classic naval fighter.

:jaw-dropping: OMG. Let the speculation begin!

Mark

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

IMHO the Kinetic F/A-18 would still be great value at $40 USD without the weapons. Sometimes I think modellers want everything for nothing and forget the kit maker has to make a profit.

That said it's great that Kinetic are looking at redoing the weapons seats. I have some of the Eduard AIM 9 resin sets, and while they're really nice it's a real pain to remove the missile body from the block. I much prefer plastic ones with comparable detail .

Raymond, there are so many weapons and pods manufactured by Eduard or Aires, so I think there is not neccessary to put everything possible inside the box with your kit.

I don't want everything possible for particular jet, just prepare few sets of weapon and that is all.

But please, if you writing in manual/box cover about some ordnance, deliver it.

And deliver decals for it, and proper information in manual.

As far as I know, modern American Hornets C, uses following targeting/navigation pods: USMC uses ASQ-228 and AAQ-28 Litening pod, Navy uses ASQ-228, and USAF uses Snipers.

Following that (the kit consists decals for Navy and USMC aircrafts) please deliver only neccesary pods. And weapons.

I don't know why on the box there is info, that kit consists AAQ-13 and AAQ-14 pods - I believe this is just a mistake, but a little messy.

Regarding the nose, yes it falls together with a little care; Glue the nose C-14 and D-5. Glue the bulkhead H-31 to the lower fuselage, (not as instruction tells you) then dryfit the nose to the bottom fuselage, adjust and glue one side of the nose at a time. Make sure the glue is dry when you drop the top fuselage on, it fits perfectly, at least for my Hornet.

Bjørn (a new member from Norway)

Raymond, there are so many weapons and pods manufactured by Eduard or Aires, so I think there is not neccessary to put everything possible inside the box with your kit.

I don't want everything possible for particular jet, just prepare few sets of weapon and that is all.

But please, if you writing in manual/box cover about some ordnance, deliver it.

And deliver decals for it, and proper information in manual.

As far as I know, modern American Hornets C, uses following targeting/navigation pods: USMC uses ASQ-228 and AAQ-28 Litening pod, Navy uses ASQ-228, and USAF uses Snipers.

Following that (the kit consists decals for Navy and USMC aircrafts) please deliver only neccesary pods. And weapons.

I don't know why on the box there is info, that kit consists AAQ-13 and AAQ-14 pods - I believe this is just a mistake, but a little messy.

Well I think I mistype the pod AAQ-28 as AAQ-13/14 it looks so similar in shape.

We provide the decal for AIM-120,AIM-9x/M, for AGM-88 since I forget that the weapon layout has been updated few years ago, I have not rechecked the decal placement. The separate weapon stencil seems not workable anymore (as designed by the company founder before), we will include those stencil into the boxart/decal to be safe next time.

Raymond, I don't know it you want to do this as its's your companies effort. But have you thought of making the instructions available as a .pdf download on your website? That way if you find a error, omission or you just find a better way you could easily revise it and have the latest version available to your customers. Just a thought.

Raymond, I don't know it you want to do this as its's your companies effort. But have you thought of making the instructions available as a .pdf download on your website? That way if you find a error, omission or you just find a better way you could easily revise it and have the latest version available to your customers. Just a thought.

In fact, I am doing it. The new website of Kinetic will surface soon. This response to the demand of color instruction, profile... etc.

We are thinking a new idea to incorporate a 3D demo for "difficult" to explain assembly sequence as well like our promote video.

In fact, I am doing it. The new website of Kinetic will surface soon. This response to the demand of color instruction, profile... etc.

We are thinking a new idea to incorporate a 3D demo for "difficult" to explain assembly sequence as well like our promote video.

:thumbsup: