New 1/48 Kinetic Hornet Kits

Yes, I do too as do many others............. :(/>

I always remember getting chicken wings with Rick and the other Calgary guys at the Regal Beagle, on Centre Street. Always did this when I was working in Penhold and had a free day to go to Calgary. :thumbsup:

I went to JAXCON this past Saturday. A vendor had a test tool of the Kinetic F/A-18 on display and I must say it looked very nice to me. There was one that was assembled and one still on the sprues. We were allowed to hold the sprues and examine the parts very closely. I'm no Hornet expert but to me the detail leaves the Hasegawa kit behind. I'm getting one when it comes out.

Could somebody assess this area. The slime light on the port side from the picture from Kinetic facebook (see below) seems to be a little too steep or pointing too downward as compared to this picture from prime portal (see below).

Also, there is a bump above the slime light on the kinetic's kit but none on the prime portal's picture, why is that? Is that part already fixed on the fuselage of the kinetic's kit or is it an extra part wherein the modeler will choose whether to attach it or not?

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/fa-18a_162904/images/fa-18a_162904_04_of_40.jpg

Hello Raymond,

from the sprue shots it looks like the horizontal stabs will be molded with the rudders in place. Hornets on the ground, however, usually have them pointing inwards.

Are you considering giving us seperate rudders to save us the cutting?

Looking forward to this kit,

Daniel

Rudders tend to blow with the wind when parked on the ground, hydraulics off. They don't always point inwards, and sometimes both point the same direction (i.e. both left or both right) if the wind pushes them that way. Separately-moulded rudders would indeed be nice.

ALF

I always remember getting chicken wings with Rick and the other Calgary guys at the Regal Beagle, on Centre Street. Always did this when I was working in Penhold and had a free day to go to Calgary. :thumbsup:/>/>

Yup. We consumed our fair share of beer and wings sitting out on the deck.

Tom

Also, there is a bump above the slime light on the kinetic's kit but none on the prime portal's picture, why is that? Is that part already fixed on the fuselage of the kinetic's kit or is it an extra part wherein the modeler will choose whether to attach it or not?

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/fa-18a_162904/images/fa-18a_162904_04_of_40.jpg

That is because the kit depicts an F/A-18C and the photo you linked to is of an F/A-18A. The bump you're referring to is an antenna that is only found on the F/A-18C/D aircraft.

Could somebody assess this area. The slime light on the port side from the picture from Kinetic facebook (see below) seems to be a little too steep or pointing too downward as compared to this picture from prime portal (see below).

Not sure about the slime light angle, but the 'bump' (RHAW antenna) configuration in the Kinetic photo is that of an F/A-18C, whereas the PrimePortal pic shows the F/A-18A. In 1/48 kits the additional C-type blisters are usually supplied as separate parts to simplify production.

Rudders tend to blow with the wind when parked on the ground, hydraulics off. They don't always point inwards, and sometimes both point the same direction (i.e. both left or both right) if the wind pushes them that way. Separately-moulded rudders would indeed be nice.

ALF

Wrong.

Rudders don't tend to blow where the wind pushes them. The Flight Control Systems, without going into much detail, tells the rudder where to be, then with residual Hyd pressure left in the system may push them, depending on where the shuttle valve in the Hyd actuator, will let the pressure bleed off, thus the final position of the flight control. OR, where the tech pushes them for maint reasons, or simply to move them for a better visual inspection. This is true for all flight controls, TE Flaps included - may drop over time due to hyd bleed off, LE flaps excluded. The horz stabs sit back due to center of gravity, and sometimes stays up due to mech reasons on the rare ocassions.

Seperately molded rudders, for myself, I'll scribe to the point of connection to the Vert stab and gently move the rudders in a more appropiate postion. BTW which there is no wrong position.

Wrong.

Rudders don't tend to blow where the wind pushes them. The Flight Control Systems, without going into much detail, tells the rudder where to be, then with residual Hyd pressure left in the system may push them, depending on where the shuttle valve in the Hyd actuator, will let the pressure bleed off, thus the final position of the flight control. OR, where the tech pushes them for maint reasons, or simply to move them for a better visual inspection. This is true for all flight controls, TE Flaps included - may drop over time due to hyd bleed off, LE flaps excluded. The horz stabs sit back due to center of gravity, and sometimes stays up due to mech reasons on the rare ocassions.

Seperately molded rudders, for myself, I'll scribe to the point of connection to the Vert stab and gently move the rudders in a more appropiate postion. BTW which there is no wrong position.

I can't tell you how many days on the flight deck with 30+ knots of wind I've seen every rudder facing aft, the wind can certainly move them if its strong enough. I've seen squadrons crunch ailerons, because the locking pin didn't engage with wings folded, and the wind pushes the aileron back into the TEF, I've also seen jets on the 1 or 4 row with the horizontal stabs lift due to updraft over the bow.

Edited by rightwinger26

I can't tell you how many days on the flight deck with 30+ knots of wind I've seen every rudder facing aft, the wind can certainly move them if its strong enough. I've seen squadrons crunch ailerons, because the locking pin didn't engage with wings folded, and the wind pushes the aileron back into the TEF, I've also seen jets on the 1 or 4 row with the horizontal stabs lift due to updraft over the bow.

Never seen this...winds moving rudders. If you have seen the wind move the rudder (CF-188 Ops on ground - should have made that clear, no naval Ops here)...my bad, you're right, my apologies to ALF and Rightwinger26.

Locking pin...is for the wing fold electrical mechanism, locks the wing fold and the ailerson is locked in place(A/B versions) mechanically (unless the mech locks are broken) but where I'm confused is when they hit the TEF...the TEF must be in the up position and the wings folded? Kool, never seen that.

Horz stabs with wind will move, never disputed that, but they will settle (wind dependant) - unless the bearing inside is starting to let go and may stay in the "up" position.

There is NO angle to the formation light on the kit. The pictures are giving you an optical illusion. I have the test plastic in hand and can without a doubt assure you that the formation light is perfectly perpendicular to the fuselage and ground as it should be. I'll let Raymond, or someone official post a picture or approve me posting a picture as I have the plastic to size the decals too and don't speak for Kinetic.

This has been discussed up-thread.

According to Raymond, the slime light is an optical illusion caused by a broken landing gear leg (the display model was damaged in transit) and a mis-aligned RHAW antenna. It looks slanted on the build, but it's straight on the kit.

The antenna itself (bump) is a separate piece. As mentioned, it's a C/D-specific part; just leave it off for an A/B.

Locking pin...is for the wing fold electrical mechanism, locks the wing fold and the ailerson is locked in place(A/B versions) mechanically (unless the mech locks are broken) but where I'm confused is when they hit the TEF...the TEF must be in the up position and the wings folded? Kool, never seen that.

If the aileron locking pin, the mechanical spring loaded one under the aileron shroud doesn't engage, with the wings folded and the TEF's open full, the aileron can move in enough to rub upper edge of the TEF. Sometimes those locking pins will get bent, or they will stick if they aren't lubed enough and not lock.

That is because the kit depicts an F/A-18C and the photo you linked to is of an F/A-18A. The bump you're referring to is an antenna that is only found on the F/A-18C/D aircraft.

Hi Dave Roof! Yeah I guess I posted an F/A-18A picture maybe because the info registered in my mind is still that of an F/A-18A from the earliest thread given out by the manufacturer; didn't remember it was already changed to a C later on. My mistake... :wacko:

Not sure about the slime light angle, but the 'bump' (RHAW antenna) configuration in the Kinetic photo is that of an F/A-18C, whereas the PrimePortal pic shows the F/A-18A. In 1/48 kits the additional C-type blisters are usually supplied as separate parts to simplify production.

Hi ChippyWho! Yeah I guess I posted an F/A-18A picture maybe because the info registered in my mind is still that of an F/A-18A from the earliest thread given out by the manufacturer; didn't remember it was already changed to a C later on. My mistake... :wacko:

There is NO angle to the formation light on the kit. The pictures are giving you an optical illusion. I have the test plastic in hand and can without a doubt assure you that the formation light is perfectly perpendicular to the fuselage and ground as it should be. I'll let Raymond, or someone official post a picture or approve me posting a picture as I have the plastic to size the decals too and don't speak for Kinetic.

Hi Brian! Coming straight from you and that you said you have the test plastic right there with you, I would certainly believe that it was indeed an optical illusion and that they are indeed perpendicular to the fuselage and the ground. :)

This has been discussed up-thread.

According to Raymond, the slime light is an optical illusion caused by a broken landing gear leg (the display model was damaged in transit) and a mis-aligned RHAW antenna. It looks slanted on the build, but it's straight on the kit.

The antenna itself (bump) is a separate piece. As mentioned, it's a C/D-specific part; just leave it off for an A/B.

Hi MoFo! Understood. Thank you for the clarification! :)

That must be some wind as I have never seen rudders move in the wind either. I've never tried to move them by hand, although I have pushed the trailing edge flaps up by hand after a wash job to drain the excess water out of the drain holes and I know that takes a little effort.

I guess on a carrier those winds can get very ferocious.