New 1/48 Kinetic Hornet Kits

It could be great to have something like this.

I can add few additionall missing items:

1. Step 27 (boarding ladder): there is nothing about part F14 (lader strut) and part F12 (ladder actuator), both available on sprue F.

Also I don't understand why there are available exactly the same parts E4 and E5 - one of them is just sufficient to make ladder opened or closed.

2. Step 31: AAQ-28 pod should be assembled with parts GG1, GG2, GG3, GG4 and GG5, parts specified in instruction (HH1 - HH5) don't exist.

3. Step 32: the Sniper XR has got misinformed parts: Z12 (there is no Z sprue, there should be L7) and Z15 - it should be L16.

Also there is not such part as Z22 (gloss "eye"), or even L22.

4. There are not assembly guides for AGM-88 and AIM-9X.

5. There is nothing about how should be used parts E6 and E7 - centerline pylon (only for fuel tank, or maybe something more?).

6. There is nothing about where there should be used LAU-7(parts E85 and E86) - there should be used on wingtips for crriage of Sidewinders.

Just to clarify; Item 2 above is not quite correct. The AAQ-28 LITENING is indeed made from parts HH-1, 2, 5 and 6 (as shown in instruction step 31)... which are not supplied in the kit. Instead they give you sprue GG (parts 1-5) which is, in fact, the AAQ-14 pod (as seen in Kinetic's F-16I kit). This should normally mate up with an AAQ-13 (not supplied in the kit) to make up the LANTIRN system and would be moot as these pods are not used on F/A-18s.

Pods that *should* have been included: ASQ-173 LDT/SCAM, AAR-50 TINS, AAQ-28 LITENING. Only one included that is correct is the AAS-38 Nitehawk (and should be paired up with the ASQ-173).

Beautiful kit, but the instructions and weapons/pods mess is a headache to sort out.

My solution: build it as an NSAWC bird with the requisite ACMI/ captive AIM-9's and call it a day. Lots 'o weapons for the spares box...

Anyway... :deadhorse1: let it go, Marc... let it go.

Hopefully the next release will sort everything out (?)

Marc B.

Edited by Modelmkr

Just to clarify; Item 2 above is not quite correct. The AAQ-28 LITENING is indeed made from parts HH-1, 2, 5 and 6 (as shown in instruction step 31)... which are not supplied in the kit. Instead they give you sprue GG (parts 1-5) which is, in fact, the AAQ-14 pod (as seen in Kinetic's F-16I kit). This should normally mate up with an AAQ-13 (not supplied in the kit) to make up the LANTIRN system and would be moot as these pods are not used on F/A-18s.

Pods that *should* have been included: ASQ-173 LDT/SCAM, AAR-50 TINS, AAQ-28 LITENING. Only one included that is correct is the AAS-38 Nitehawk (and should be paired up with the ASQ-173).

Beautiful kit, but the instructions and weapons/pods mess is a headache to sort out.

My solution: build it as an NSAWC bird with the requisite ACMI/ captive AIM-9's and call it a day. Lots 'o weapons for the spares box...

Anyway... deadhorse1.gif let it go, Marc... let it go.

Hopefully the next release will sort everything out (?)pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

Marc B.

is the ACMI pod included in the Kinetic box??? ...that would be great for me (when they'll bring the CF-188/F/A-18A version) ...not have to source for a Hasegawa weapon set just for that...

Edited by mingwin

is the ACMI pod included in the Kinetic box??? ...that would be great for me (when they'll bring the CF-188/F/A-18A version) ...not have to source for a Hasegawa weapon set just for that...

Unfortunately, no. I am lucky enough to have the Hasegawa set with that.

Marc B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

So what are the (external) differences between these (canadian, australian,spanish)boxings and the first Kinetic Hornet.

The first boxing was just the C variant different tail and nose details. Several bumps chaff/flare dispensers were different and you only get the single seat.... although now you can build a D if you don't use the B parts in the upcoming release.

Hi,

My first Kinetic F/A-18C arrived last week and I'm quite pleased with it.

I have been looking around for things I should watch out for, like which US Hornets have the dual flare buckets.

Dave, if you get around to finishing your list of hints and tips for the Kinetic Hornets, that would be very useful.

I have Jake Melampy's Modern Hornet Guide, but I still have a couple of questions about the AOA sensors.

I believe that Kinetic gives us one of the old style AOA vane (part E34) and one of the new style AOA probe (part E32).

Jake write on page 40 that "early jets used an AOA vane, while later jets use an AOA probe".

Does anyone have an idea of when or on which BuNo the AOA probes were introduced?

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan

I can't speak with authority about the USN/USMC Hornets, but on our Canadian aircraft they retrofitted all the AOA sensors. The one on the right was replaced with the conical probe, and the one on the left was (at first, anyway) left with a vane. The reason they replaced them was when (if?) the refuelling basket happened to hit the AOA vane on the right side, it would break off and get sucked into the right engine, damaging it. The cones did not break off; they just got bent but didn't damage engines.

I think it would be safe to build a probe version on almost any BuNo, since in later life most vanes were replaced AFAIK.

ALF

Hi,

My first Kinetic F/A-18C arrived last week and I'm quite pleased with it.

I have been looking around for things I should watch out for, like which US Hornets have the dual flare buckets.

Cheers, Stefan.

Dual AN/ALE-47 chaff/flare buckets are fitted to BuNo airframes 165171 thru 165532.

Oh, and just noted this the other day... Mr. Chung had mentioned that photoetch items PE17 were the "missing" splitter intake braces, but in step 27 of the instructions these same parts (PE17) are being used for the boarding ladder release latches. So not so sure they are the splitter intake braces.

Marc B.

Edited by Modelmkr

Stefan

I can't speak with authority about the USN/USMC Hornets, but on our Canadian aircraft they retrofitted all the AOA sensors. The one on the right was replaced with the conical probe, and the one on the left was (at first, anyway) left with a vane. The reason they replaced them was when (if?) the refuelling basket happened to hit the AOA vane on the right side, it would break off and get sucked into the right engine, damaging it. The cones did not break off; they just got bent but didn't damage engines.

I think it would be safe to build a probe version on almost any BuNo, since in later life most vanes were replaced AFAIK.

ALF

Just to add to Alf18's explanation from a maintainers POV...the Vane broke, loose a winglet and FOD the engine, sux...I hated changing engines for FOD. The AOA Probe/Cone would bend...sometimes...break off, but there is a small chain inside so that if it did, the chain would let it dangle until it was replaced after landing. Some minor damage to the skin but NO damage to the engine, thank gosh.

• 1 month later...

hi-PI000000227918.jpg

What's up with the negative camber on this built-up....

Watch to Doogs' Models review on this and I have to disagree on his point about this kit in terms of engineering and fit. 

Actually did a few dry fittings on this kit and have regretted my purchase.

This hobby should be fun, not about fixing other's inaccuracies especially if you paid for it..

• 1 month later...

I snatched one on E-Bay...it arrived today and it looks very nice! Now I need to start reading and re-searching. I do have the Daco Publishing book on th eHornet which should help a lot. Are there any good build reviews out there already? Thinking about ordering the Revell decal sheet for one of those fancy Swiss birds!

cheers

Uwe