New 1/48 Kinetic Hornet Kits

Hmm, maybe I missed the part where this was a -C variant only kit. There were many discussions about -A variant tails being included.

Somewhere along the line the first release was switched to a C. I think that info was revealed in this thread.

Initially it was going to be an A. I think after Rick passed away all of that changed.

I'm dissapointed it is a C, I've never bought anything except A models ever.

Looking at the images, I see they are missing detail on the belly, a few access panels in various locations, a a few panel lines. The slime lights look to proud and are the ones on the nose positioned properly?

I always was amazed how good the Hasegawa kit was, I'd pop a panel on a real jet at work and check that night if Hasegawa had it correct,

Looking at the FB photos, the advantages look good: weapons in the package, easy wing-fold option, intake trunking (a first in plastic, I think!). Nose and main gear bays look rather less adequate than Hasegawa's or HobbyBoss' efforts -I feel sure we can do better than this without resorting to resin bits.

I'm assuming the separate gun-bay doors are to represent the different gas-vent types, or is there something of the weapon to go inside? Even just the ammo drum -I'd buy the kit for that alone! :D

Somewhere along the line the first release was switched to a C. I think that info was revealed in this thread.

Initially it was going to be an A. I think after Rick passed away all of that changed.

I'm dissapointed it is a C, I've never bought anything except A models ever.

Sadly, a lot of things changed after Rick passed on.

Rick is one of my best friend in hobby community. We known each others on 2005 where he visit HK.

Also, he was the guy pushing us to deliver a new tooled hornet at least for Canada market. But we wait and hold the projects till we are ready to fo it.

Learning from the F16 project, the F18 is the item no room for mistake. Also it will not create the short buzz effect from the market like other subject which never been tooled before. But sure, the subject will have a long term value for the brand for this classic fighter item.

Besides, the features requirement of the new F18 is also needed. Instead if just breaking up more panel, adding more detail. We have been studying what the consumer looking for a new f18.

We had the conclusion here in this relesse :

1. Deliver an easy fold wing option

2. Reduced the fitting problem on the nose and intake

3. Include all new updated option on 18C, 18AM

4. Reduce the part count to easy the construction

5. Provide in intake

6. The last most important : make it afforable

As we research many AM decal does not sell too way for f18. Some say the f18 is not a subject that most people want. We had the idea that the offering on the market is over the price that customer want to pay.

The f18 share the F16 nature where both are multi role fighter, although mainly uses by USN, the marking option can fill up your display easily.

Anyway some adjustment still need to be refined after the new year holiday. And you will enjoy it.

Raymond

Raymond, did your wings come in one single piece and you still have to cut through the entire thickness in a zigzag manner to create the folded pattern just like all the kits in the market now or it already comes in two separate parts and you just simply have to glue them together to create the unfolded wing pattern?

Edited by flybywire

Raymond, did your wings come in one single piece and you still have to cut through the entire thickness in a zigzag manner to create the folded pattern just like all the kits in the market now or it already comes in two separate parts and you just simply have to glue them together to create the unfolded wing pattern?

According from what I see on the FB photos:

- deployed wings = nothing to do

- folded wings = cut off the wing tips from the top fuselage half and bottom wing parts and use the provided "deployed wing tip halves" and hinges parts.

According from what I see on the FB photos:

- deployed wings = nothing to do

- folded wings = cut off the wing tips from the top fuselage half and bottom wing parts and use the provided "deployed wing tip halves" and hinges parts.

Oh no!!! I was hoping that it comes in two separate parts already and I just have to enjoy linking those parts with the folding mechanism but now I know it won't happen. This is not to bash the manufacturer but what difference would it make when compared to the existing popular kits when you also have to cut them, aside from providing us with the folding part/mechanism.

Many thanks for the info anyway Laurent! :)

Oh no!!! I was hoping that it comes in two separate parts already and I just have to enjoy linking those parts with the folding mechanism but now I know it won't happen. This is not to bash the manufacturer but what difference would it make when compared to the existing popular kits when you also have to cut them, aside from providing us with the folding part/mechanism.

Much less care is needed in cutting so it is much easier. You can ruin the outboard wing parts, focusing just on clean inboard cut. Then you add separately provided outboard and hinge parts to it.

Two separate parts would suck for those who want their wings straight. And including two complete wings - one folded in pieces, and one unfolded in one piece, would raise the price of the kit unnecessarily.

Kinetic solution is best compromise in my opinion.

Edited by Vodnik

Much less care is needed in cutting so it is much easier. You can ruin the outboard wing parts, focusing just on clean inboard cut. Then you add separately provided outboard and hinge parts to it.

Two separate parts would suck for those who want their wings straight. And including two complete wings - one folded in pieces, and one unfolded in one piece, would raise the price of the kit unnecessarily.

Kinetic solution is best compromise in my opinion.

+1

+1

+2

I want to add a F/A-18 to my 1/48 USN aircraft collection. The Hasegawa kit is nice but finding one at a decent price is just about impossible. If the Kinetic kit gets good reviews I'm in.

Edited by jpk

It would actually require an entirely new upper fuselage. So you're looking at extra tooling costs, extra production time, extra plastic, extra weight, probably a bigger box which may lead to warehousing issues and would certainly increase postage costs.

I suspect their thinking is, most kits will be built with the wings flat, so make sure it's easy to build that way. When the outer wings are separate, it's hard to get the fingers to mesh for a smooth, clean join (Italeri's A-6 comes to mind) and it would be easy to mess up the alignment, so the enjoyment is compromised for most of the kits that will be built. For the people who want to do something different, make it as easy as possible to modify the kit for folded wings.