Super moon blood moon tonight

Who cares if it's called a "blood" moon or not? Seriously.

All I know is that it's the first time that my daughter, my wife, and I have all seen the moon basically turn red and the next time it happens I'll probably be dead while my kids are in the prime adult lives.

Best part about tonights "blood" moon? My 3 year old daughter telling me she wanted to get bigger and go in an airplane to to the moon!

Instead of calling the OP stupid,

Not really. Gawker's a snarky website, but the point stands: the whole 'blood moon' thing is sensationalist nonsense dreamed up by an apocalyptic christian pastor in 2013. It's a lunar eclipse. Same as any other lunar eclipse. Period. It's kind of neat to see and all that, but calling it a 'blood moon' or ascribing it any more significance is just mystical claptrap. That is literally why the 'blood moon' concept was invented - there is a lunar tetrad in 2014/15, and so... 'things'.

http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-a-blood-moon-lunar-eclipses-2014-2015#prophecy

To whit: the last lunar eclipse was... six months ago. The next will be six months from now. The next total eclipse, when the moon will look red(ish), will be two years from now. It's a thing that happens. Frequently. The lunar orbit is also a thing, so if you want the moon to look both red AND slightly bigger, it'll be 18 years from now. Sure, that's a while but, hopefully you won't be dead? There will be another 15 total lunar eclipses in the mean time, if it's any consolation.

I guess I just think it's sad that in the lifetime of the average ARCer, humanity has regressed from travelling to the moon, to thinking it holds some mystical power over us. Which, whether you realize it or not, is what you're talking about when you refer to a 'blood moon'.

Edited by MoFo

Not really. Gawker's a snarky website, but the point stands: the whole 'blood moon' thing is sensationalist nonsense dreamed up by an apocalyptic christian pastor in 2013. It's a lunar eclipse. Same as any other lunar eclipse. Period. It's kind of neat to see and all that, but calling it a 'blood moon' or ascribing it any more significance is just mystical claptrap. That is literally why the 'blood moon' concept was invented - there is a lunar tetrad in 2014/15, and so... 'things'.

http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-a-blood-moon-lunar-eclipses-2014-2015#prophecy

To whit: the last lunar eclipse was... six months ago. The next will be six months from now. The next total eclipse, when the moon will look red(ish), will be two years from now. It's a thing that happens. Frequently. The lunar orbit is also a thing, so if you want the moon to look both red AND slightly bigger, it'll be 18 years from now. Sure, that's a while but, hopefully you won't be dead? There will be another 15 total lunar eclipses in the mean time, if it's any consolation.

I guess I just think it's sad that in the lifetime of the average ARCer, humanity has regressed from travelling to the moon, to thinking it holds some mystical power over us. Which, whether you realize it or not, is what you're talking about when you refer to a 'blood moon'.

Way to go again Mike. You are sucking the fun out of something that CNN has already deemed extra significant. I bet you tell 6 year olds that there is no Santa Claus and that the A-10 should be retired.

Edited by chuck540z3

When was the last full moon eclipse ? When is the next one ? It's already been pointed out in the thread ...

That makes this one more special than the one in six months ...

-Gregg

PS Who pissed in your Cheerios?

the only good ones i got. it was really hazy here, so we didnt see much of it until it was pretty high.

Great shots Dylan!....wished I could have had a chance at shooting it too, but we didnt get to see it down here.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Got a couple of "blood moon" or whatever the internet says is right, shots myself.

IMG_7726_zpsrhgdopfj.jpg

IMG_7732_zpssk3zbhkq.jpg

IMG_7742_zpslvep0hdi.jpg

IMG_7743_zpsbw7bgzrj.jpg

IMG_7750_zpsannkcpvd.jpg

Almost every eclipse around here is blocked by clouds or I was otherwise occupied(work, kids, etc...) so getting to see this one was extra special for me.

Taken from the comments:

The blood moon is entirely distinct from a solar eclipse. What makes Sunday’s eclipse unique that it’s a solar eclipse occurring at the same time as the blood moon, which is a rare occurrence (the last time these two phenomena coincided was 1982). Some douchey gawker writer, in his haste to call others “moron” has in fact outed himself as the moron.

Thanks for sharing Darius. I wasn't able to enjoy it because of the weather where I live.

Keep your opinions on Christians to yourself please. This is not the first one in 33 years, but it is the first full eclipse with the moon in its closest point in orbit in that time. There have actually been 4 blood moons in the last year. The next full eclipse with the moon in its closest orbit is in 2033.

Taken from the comments:

The blood moon is entirely distinct from asolar eclipse. What makes Sunday’s eclipse unique that it’s a solar eclipse occurring at the same time as the blood moon, which is a rare occurrence (the last time these two phenomena coincided was 1982). Some douchey gawker writer, in his haste to call others “moron” has in fact outed himself as the moron.

Bolding mine. Because, while I'm not actually suggesting the OP (or anyone else) is truly a moron for calling it a BM (mostly, just trying to point out when and why the term was manufactured, and what you're talking about when you use the phrase), that guy most certainly is one.

By all means, enjoy the eclipse. Enjoy natural phenomena, because science is awesome. But the phrase 'blood moon' not only *isn't* science, it's *anti-science*. It's an attempt to take something that is known and understood, and make it mystical and frightening.

Keep your opinions on Christians to yourself please.

I made no judgement on christians. But the guys who invented the term *are* apocalyptic christian preacher (as in, they believe the world is at the brink of end times), who believe the tetrad is a harbinger of doom (ie. probably now). Sorry if that offends you, I guess? But it's an objective, demonstrable truth.

Mofo, I have nothing against you. But it seems that you're on a personal mission against the term "Blood Moon" and that you're trying to rid others of using it. I guess I don't understand why that's important to you. Because you believe that it's nothing different than something else? I never gave it a thought. Wasn't it called the harvest moon? Or is that completely different?

Sorry, I'm not an astrologer (astrologist?).

I made no judgement on christians. But the guys who invented the term *are* apocalyptic christian preacher (as in, they believe the world is at the brink of end times), who believe the tetrad is a harbinger of doom (ie. probably now). Sorry if that offends you, I guess? But it's an objective, demonstrable truth.

Not to quibble on fine points, but they may have been the first to make popular the exact phrase "blood moon", the thought comes from the Book of Revalation where it says "the whole moon turned blood red". It's not like it's a stretch to call a red moon that since it's referred to in the Bible. Not at all saying that's what this eclipse meant or was about. BUT it's been an adopted phrase by many inside AND outside religion.

Jester, I think the term harvest moon refers to the first full moon of the harvest season, or first full moon of autumn. But I guess only a fool would call it that if they aren't farmers with a harvest...right? :rolleyes: I kid I kid.

Bill