Starting Academy F-4C Jolly Roger

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and still learning the craft of modeling. I am famous of doing one major mistake on everyone one of my builds where sometimes I have to buy another kit to either start over or butcher the kit for the build. I had to put aside a Hasegawa 1/48 #09979 Chippy Ho Final kit because I totally screwed up the decals and I am trying to source a new set to finish it. Enough of my problems lol.

Until I source those decals, I pulled an Academy F-4J 1/48 Jolly Roger kit to build. This is my first Academy kit. Looking at the instructions, it looks like there are different option on how to build it. Like I said I am a novice still. How is the best way to build it. I was thinking of building the fuselage first, without the tail, rear stabilizers, and the whole exhaust can assembly. Then paint each section separately and place them on the fuselage. I say this because I am not good at masking yet and I am worried about bleed over.

Any suggestion or advise on the build of this kit would be highly appreciated because I don't want to do my normal f'ed on this one. Is this kit difficult or an easy build. How should I go sbout buildings it? I am doing a lot n-flight build with this one.

This thread will be WIP so all of you can laugh at me lol.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ken.

Edited by Sgt1255

First of all, welcome to the fun.

I'm a bit confused. Whose squadron markings are you using? I don't remember a F-4C with a Jolly Roger marking. Could you be doing a Navy F-4B instead of a Air Force aircraft?

If you plan on building the kit the way you say, I have to tell you that's not the way I would.

I would check the fit of the parts before you glue anything. Go slowly, one section at a time. The painting usually comes after the assembly because you may have to use putty to seal the gaps, if any. Then you would have to sand the putty down, usually with wet/dry sand paper and water.

One tip if building it wheels up. install the gear doors before assembling the kit, you will have access to both sides of the doors so positioning them correctly will be easier.

Curt