Building a Monogram 1/72 shuttle, ET and SRB.

Scratchbuilding ship models? No wonder you seem to be pro at this. I have the utmost respect for people who have the patience for planking, rigging, lathework and all that stuff. I think you should post your ship builds right here as well. I wouldn't mind a photo or two :)

It's looking great Gary! Hope all the parts are working out for you. One thing I did notice I probably should have made it differently, but it looks like you've already glued the SRB tops on before installing the separation motors, is that correct? They are made to be installed from inside. If you have any issues getting them installed let me know and I'll try to help you come up with a solution or maybe reprint a different part for you.

Bill

Hi Mike and thank you. Figure I needed a slight change for the moment and hopfully I get back to Alfred, in the future, that is as soon as I build a few model kits. :rolleyes:/>/>/> Hi Bill. Yes sir the parts are working out great and thank you for doing them. Well as far as the separation motors, was going to add them later, which is why I went ahead and glued the SRB tops on and when I did finally get them, just took the tops back off and fitted them on the inside. Thank you for the help. Shows that one should never get in a hurry. :doh:/>/>/> Mike here is a couple of photo's of Alfred. I have put a pepsi can on the deck to give one a ideal of how big she is. Gary DSC_0192_zpssqqyojba.jpgDSC_0194_zpsd3bo0yoj.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Dang Gary, Alfred is looking sick (that means good btw ;) ) I traded a friend a model kit for a wood ship and I don't think I'll have the courage to tackle such project...ever. It's like sticks and rods odpf different type of wood and it will all need sanding to get it to shape... :wacko: Looking at Alfred I say you go loco skills man :thumbsup:

Mike

Thanks Mike she has taken me awhile to get to that point and have enjoyed building her very very much. It does seem at the moment am more interested in plastic models and painting them. Speaking of painting them, I have posted a photo that Tom had put on site for his detail kit for the shuttle and wanted to ask the good folks here what colors they would use to achive this look on the rear end of the shuttle? Figure I would need to order some paints to do this part and time wise, by the time I do get to the point of painting it, I would have them. Any help would be great folks and thanks to Tom for posting it. Gary nw131p12_zpsyt3yiix2.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Hi Gary.

Great job on the wood ship model. Something I have yet to attempt. Maybe one day.

As for painting the back of the shuttle I think it largely depends on how you decide to paint or decal the other tiles. The back of the shuttle, like other areas, is composed of many different types of coverings. The majority of it is covered with tiles similar to the belly. The engines have white blanketed surrounds around a spherical tile-covered gimbal support. The colors of the tiles are just like the belly and vary based on the location and age of the tile and if they are recent replacements. The small yellow and white lettering are the tile serial number. If you're doing a realistically weathered shuttle with "burnt" tiles, then I'd recommend decals for the belly as well as for the rear bulkhead. I don't know if anyone has completed a 1/72 scale decal for the rear bulkhead but I know I'm going to need one as well at some point. Or paint with and weather to your taste. If you're doing a cleaner display style model, then I'd use dark dark grey like panzer grey or something similar. Also search here and see other build solutions. There are some fantastic shuttles here.

For most realism, I'd recommend surfing the web and compiling as many photos of the shuttle you want to do from around the same time frame or even better picking actual mission and base your colors on that. There a lot of really great high def pictures of most all of the later shuttle missions and some of the earlier ones as well.

If there are any particular photos you're looking for just ask away and I'm sure someone here has a good pic that can help you out.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Did you ever decide which mission you are building? The weathering of the tiles will be lighter if you are building an early shuttle stack. The easy way out might be to choose an orbiter and her maiden flight, and just use flat black for the tiles. You can use pastels to add weathering if doing a later mission. Tamiya German gray is a good base color for the belly and aft if using decals for the tiles. I would use Gunmetal or Burnt Iron for the round areas where the SSME's attach.

Here is a pretty good close up of the different type surfaces you're dealing with. It looks like the spherical area around the SSME's are of the same material as the surrounding tiles. Or at least it weathers to the same appearance.

2014-09-02%2014%2032%2022_zpsittlbgdn.jpg

Bill

Hi Bill and Hotdog. I do believe am going to do Atlantis, sort of fell in love with her and it probably be in her later years. I have tile decals that I purchased from Ed some time ago off of ebay a while back and was saving them for this build. Well guess am buying some more paints Hotdog, probably get the ones from Alclad. All of the reviews of them say they are really good, for air brushing. They seem to have just what I need for her tail end. Thank you sir. Bill thank you,and maybe one day I will go back to work on her. As far as the photo that helps a lot and will come in handy when I do finally get around to painting this part. Thanks guys. Gary

Thanks crackerjazz. I finally made a little head way with her as far as the ET and SRB. I put them together on the pegs that I installed in the ET as a trail fit and couldn't figure out a better place to put it then next to my Saturn V rocket. Maybe next week end I just may get some paint on them. Gary DSC_0039_zpstrkvlai3.jpg

Looks like my view at work!

6D1F2EDA-CA95-48B0-81A5-EA274C9FDA27_zpsvoee2uel.jpg

Close up

Only AM is the beenie cap and lots of medical tape and a whole lot of tiles made from styrene strips cut into little squares and individually placed.

B7F5BDDF-10C5-4CB0-A713-3EEB38209B5A_zpsd18fokfi.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi Bill and thank you. Attempt is a good word for my build. If you make any more 3D parts for the shuttle let me know sir and will add them. ;o)Here is one showing some work on the windows and the clear film am using. Not much but a start.Probably going to lite her cockpit up and was wondering if any one has any ideal about were to get some hard ware for doing that. Thanks again.   Gary     space shuttle windows (2)                                                                                                          

Edited by garyshipwright
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2015 at 8:32 AM, garyshipwright said:

Hi Mike and thank you. It does come from Shapeway but am not sure what it is made of. It was created by Niart 17/Bill and is a nice piece to add to the 1/72 ET. In fact Bill has severaly other parts for the SRB's and the ET. I liked all of them and will be adding them to my build. Here is a couple more photo's showing the rod through the ET for the SRB. Now all I have to do is figure out how and with what to make the struts, if that is what they are called. Any ideals guys. Gary DSC_0036_zpsppg9vbhx.jpgDSC_0037_zpslutukild.jpg

Hi Gary,

First of all, congrats on your build.  Really like the texture on the ET.

I am also looking to get the aft cross beam structure from shapeways, but would like to know what print resolution did you buy?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

• 3 months later...

Hi . Hope some one can help me. I have been trying to get in touch with some one at shape ways to help me get back in to my account. Does any one have any ideals. Seems they don't want you to contact them because there isn't a phone number at all. Wanted to order the pieces for my SRB jbut have forgotten my infor. Thanks and hope some one can help me.Its okay now shapeway finally fixed the problem.    Gary

Edited by garyshipwright