Building a Monogram 1/72 shuttle, ET and SRB.

Hello every one, am sort of new around here, at least the posting part and figure I would say hi. Have been hanging out for a while on and off and figure it was time to start a build log of the shuttle that am building. For the last couple of years I have been buying some after market items to help me make her a more detail kit but could not figure out which shuttle to build. Well I finally got a answer to that one when the Family went to Kennedy space center this month on vacation and saw the Atlantis in all her glory. Only way she could look in better is if she was attach to the ET, setting on launch pad 39A. Any way bear with me folks and as soon as I can figure out how to upload a couple of photos, I will show what my young shuttle looks like at the moment. As far as model building, I have been building models for a few years in one form or another, wood ,plastic, metal, and never seem to get tired of it. Gary

Hi again Gary! I'm very happy to see you start this build thread. I look forward to seeing your progress. Posting images isn't real difficult, you just need a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or Imageshack etc...If you have any questions ask away, there are a lot of really great and helpful guys around here.

Bill

Hello Gary. Glad to see you have decided to post your progress here. Like Bill said, there are a lot of people in the forum that have great ideas and skills to help make your project as close to the real deal as you can get it. And I agree 100% with you, I never get tired of building models. Just need a break every now and then. Looking forward to seeing what you have gotten done so far.

Mike

Welcome to the Real Space forum! :thumbsup:

Yours may be one of the first 1/72 Stacks ... this'll be fun to watch come together.

And posting pix is still an adventure ... I use Photobucket but haven't posted anything in some months and Photobucket sure looks different.

If you're having any trouble, just ask here, and someone will give you a hand.

Pete

Thanks every one. As soon as I learn how to do the photo upload which am slowly figuring out, will up load some. In the mean time can you fellows tell me where one can get some good photos showing how to paint the ET and what colors are used where. Am trying to find a good painting guide and what color's to use. Has far as the ET main color all I can find is that it is a burnt orange. Problem is can't find that color, or what even makes it up, such as what precent of this and that makes it up and what those colors are. Going to be kind of bad if I can't even get the right colors. Thanks guys for welcome. Gary

If I remember right, the website is axmpaperspacemodels.com. They have all of the flights regarding the shuttle, boosters and tank from STS-1 to 135. It also includes Enterprise. Both paint schemes. Good luck.

Mike

Has far as the ET main color all I can find is that it is a burnt orange. Problem is can't find that color, or what even makes it up, such as what precent of this and that makes it up and what those colors are. Going to be kind of bad if I can't even get the right colors.

Here's a thread that'll give you a good idea for paint colours for the ET. He's asking the same question as you are.

Search out crowe-t's build ... it's one of the best builds of a Shuttle Stack ... in 1/144 no less.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=251191

And go thru all the threads that are Shuttle related, you'll find there are a whole bunch of ET colour solutions.

Pete

Hi again Gary. Yeah, the conversation about ET tank color is always an interesting one since the tank color changed over time on the real shuttle mission. A newly coated tank was a very bright orange and then "tanned" to a darker brown color. So even if you stick to one mission, the color can vary widely depending on the stage of the mission you want to show, either roll-out, early pre-launch, later pre-launch or launch. The good thing about that is there is no real wrong color as long as you fit somewhere inside the "ripening" process. I prefer a brighter roll-out orange tank. Something about that contrast to a white shuttle looks good to me.

Bill

Hi Crackjazz and Bill. Thanks guys every little bit helps. Seems like I just may have to wing it sir when it comes to the tank color. Sorry about not getting back sooner but work and family keeps me a little busy at times. I finally figure out how to add photo's and will b adding some more in the very near future. Am Am sure you have seen others like this but just to show the shuttle and the ET. Bill just to let you know your parts came and they are outstanding and will help make her a lot more accurate. Also had to go and purchase a new airbrush, compresser and paint booth to give her a nice coat of paint. More photos to come. Gary

DSC_0001_zpsdgbgprd2.jpg DSC_0008_zpss6n6xmtr.jpg DSC_0006_zpscr8zwdms.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Welcome to a great forum Gary. You are now among the finest group of modelers and individuals. A lot knowledge here in regards to Real Space and other subjects. Now, i have to ask... the part on the bottom of ET, is that an resin set from Shapeway? TIA

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1

Hi Mike and thank you. It does come from Shapeway but am not sure what it is made of. It was created by Niart 17/Bill and is a nice piece to add to the 1/72 ET. In fact Bill has severaly other parts for the SRB's and the ET. I liked all of them and will be adding them to my build. Here is a couple more photo's showing the rod through the ET for the SRB. Now all I have to do is figure out how and with what to make the struts, if that is what they are called. Any ideals guys. Gary DSC_0036_zpsppg9vbhx.jpgDSC_0037_zpslutukild.jpg

Thanks crackerjazz. I finally made a little head way with her as far as the ET and SRB. I put them together on the pegs that I installed in the ET as a trail fit and couldn't figure out a better place to put it then next to my Saturn V rocket. Maybe next week end I just may get some paint on them. Gary DSC_0039_zpstrkvlai3.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Hey Gary, Welcome to the shuttle building madness! :woot.gif: I apologize for missing this but I've been working on some other non-real space builds.

This link below has hi resolution pictures from most of the shuttle missions. You should get a really good idea of the colors and patterns on most ET's here.

Shuttle Mission Pics

Here is another great site. Just search for ET or a specific mission and you'll have most of what you need.

Kennedy Media Archive

This site has panoramic views of the launch pads for STS-133, 134 and 135. This site is very helpful.

Nasa Tech

As Mike(egt95) said above, this site has all the shuttle missions as paper models for download. It's a great site.

AXM Paper Space Models

K2Pete posted this thread as well. I mentioned the paints and colors I was using but this was back in 2012 and and unfortunately I was using Polly Scale paints that have since been discontinued.

ET color thread

Here is what I wrote back in 2012:

(I'm currently building a 1/144 Revell Shuttle Stack and used Polly Scale Acrylic Railroad colors for my ET(picture attached below). I used Polly Scale Rust and SP Daylight Orange mixed approximately 50/50 with a few drops of Reefer White added for the base color of the ET. The inter tank area is the same 50/50 mixture with some more white added. I plan on spraying on a darker mixture of the Rust /SP Daylight Orange to highlight some of the darker areas. This build is STS-133 which was delayed in launching and the ET got darker and appeared a dark orange-brown at launch time.

These 2 Polly Scale colors have similar tones and you can add more SP Daylight Orange for an ET that hasn't sat on the pad as long or more Rust to shift the color more brown for an ET that is darker in color.)

Badger Airbrush does make the acrylic Railroad colors however I haven't tried them yet and don't know if they are the same as the Polly Scale colors. The Badger railroad colors are still something to consider.

An ET does start out the color of pancake batter but quickly darkens to an orange color and if on the pad long enough will reach a dark brown.

Autumn colors are best which is why I used Polly Scale SP Daylight Orange and Rust. Polly Scale's Rust was an orange-rust color and not a red-rust like Testors rust.

Vallejo also makes some Autumn looking colors. They have a color called Orange Brown and other various orange colors. I haven't used Vallejo paints yet but these look to be in the range you will need for an ET. You may have to mix different colors to get the shade you are after.

I hope these links help. If you have any questions ask away. The guys here are very nice and will always jump in to help you out.

BTW, you are off to a great start with the 1/72 stack. :thumbsup: Bill's 3D parts will really help to make it something special.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike and thank you sir for the links. They will be most helpful. I do need to sit down and take some photo's of the parts that Bill did and show them installed as close up. They really do make not only building it a lot more fun but a lot more accurate. Any way have a question for you and the other helpful folks. Its about what brands of paint, thinner and cleaner you use for brush work, AB, thinner and AB cleaner? Seems that I have been away from building plastic models and as far as paint brands there seems to be a lot of them. A guy could spend quite a few dollers trying to buy paint. I have used Tester Model Master enamel for as long as I can remember and like it very very much. Problem is I want to air brush in the house and the enamel fumes are not the greatest, and do believe the family will throw me and the air brush out on my ear. If I really need to spray enamels, then I can always go out to the shop and do them. Have spent a few days going through a lot of the post on the different paints, thinners and AB cleaner but really is very confusing. Seems every one has a different brand they like but would very much like to hear what you guys use for yours. Thank you. Gary

Gary, I use mostly Testors Model Master (Acryl) acrylic paints in the airbrush. Technically it's not called 'Acryl' anymore by Testors. Testors MM acrylic paints are very durable, more so than Tamiya. I use Windex(real Windex brand works the best) to clean the airbrush IMMEDIATELY after I'm done spraying. I then spray some water through the airbrush to clean the Windex out. You don't want to leave Windex in the airbrush, it'll ruin the parts. If Testors MM acrylic paints sit in the airbrush too long and dry you'll need to use lacquer thinner to clean it. As long as you spray some Windex, and then water through after painting and then thoroughly clean it afterwards the Testors is great to use. I spray Windex and water through the airbrush to change paint colors during a painting session. Testors makes their own thinner for their acrylic paints which is what I use.

I also use Tamiya acrylics and use their brand thinner as well. It smells like alcohol but there are some other things in it so it doesn't dry too fast. I also use Windex and water for cleaning the airbrush.

Both of these paints are OK to spray indoors.

I find that the Testors acrylic brushes(with a paint brush) better than the Tamiya. When I do brush the Testors acrylic I put a small amount into a spare paint jar and add a drop of thinner which helps it not to clump. Acrylic paints don't brush as well as some other paints.

I'm not a fan of enamels at all. They smell bad a take a long time to cure.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Andrew. I got the foam pattern ideal from the folks here and used Testors createfx, the sand Arena 79601. Still have a few places to redo on it. Here is some more photo's of the parts that was done by Niart 17/Bill. I also got the windows for her from AMP, along with real space models cargo bay. A little work to get it worked in but with out it don't believe I could reproduce the detail that he has put in to it. Also thanks to Vince Hoffmann I took his ideal about using metal tubing to get the sides stright but used wood instead of tubing, along with his ideal on how to redo the sill along the edge. Gary DSC_0041_zpsgld2hxt5.jpgDSC_0042_zps8zqekfvu.jpgDSC_0043_zpsxjiczgwh.jpgDSC_0047_zpstytds14j.jpgDSC_0054_zpsjaaxgte1.jpgDSC_0055_zpsjoivmbwm.jpgDSC_0059_zpsimulzizz.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Hi Mike and thank you. Shoot sir I thought I was moveing a little on the slow side. Work keeps me busy doing the week and weekends is when I make may biggest progress. Just using Thin and gap filling Cyanoacrylate to hold them in place. Still a lot of work ahead of me sir. Am really enjoying working on the shuttle Mike, gives me a long time break from working on my wooden ships. Scratch building one of them, now that is a slow process, about like a snail. :D Gary