Other "resource centers"?

Here's a question. I think ARC is probably the best aircraft modeling site out there. But I was wondering if there are sites like this for armor (I know about Armorama), or cars, or ships, or Sci-fi (I typically go to Starship Modeler.) I also appreciate having some subforums on other topics, but I didn't know if there are sites with other subjects besides planes.

Note: I don't ever want to step on Steve's toes, so if there's any kind of conflict with talking about other competing modeling websites, please delete this topic. I'm trying to compile research for the students in my class, so I'm not advertising or endorsing any other sites, besides ARC.

Hyperscale, Britmodeler come to mind for aircraft.

Perth Military Modeling is an outstanding site for armor. Not a lot of updates and no forums but their reviews set the standard.

Missing Lynx is also a good armor site. Forums are a bit slow lately (I guess the same applies here) but there are some very knowledgeable people on them.

Fine Scale Modeler is a pretty good general subject modeling site, the tie in to the magazine results in a large number of members of varying interests and ability.

http://cs.finescale.com/f/

Model Cars Magazine has a good forum for car models (in case the title doesn't tip you off).

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

Perth Military Modeling is an outstanding site for armor. Not a lot of updates and no forums but their reviews set the standard.

Do they really set the standard I hope they don't because the total lack of grammar is really pretty annoying and borderline unreadable it's kind of like he's a massive fan of Joyces Ulysses except without the massive literary cred? Don't get me wrong I love the site and I'm pretty sure my bookmark dates to the last century I know they were doing some aircraft reviews and other stuff when I first bookmarked it of course he posted the glider review recently so I guess you could say they still are doing aircraft but you know what I mean I still go there frequently and was really sad when it went away for a while but his peculiar style makes me wonder if he's had a stroke or something? I don't know maybe it's just me but increasingly I just flip through the pictures rather than reading the actual reviews because it's kind of impossible to follow his writing although it is kind of fun to play a game of count the periods.

This site has some incredible model builders on it. http://www.therpf.com/general-modeling/

While the site is mainly set up obviously for prop builders and such, the general model section is great for picking up tips and what-not.

BTW MoFo, surely your post was a bit tongue-and-cheek talking about THEIR grammer and period usage....I hope. :woot.gif:

Bill

Do they really set the standard I hope they don't because the total lack of grammar is really pretty annoying and borderline unreadable it's kind of like he's a massive fan of Joyces Ulysses except without the massive literary cred? Don't get me wrong I love the site and I'm pretty sure my bookmark dates to the last century I know they were doing some aircraft reviews and other stuff when I first bookmarked it of course he posted the glider review recently so I guess you could say they still are doing aircraft but you know what I mean I still go there frequently and was really sad when it went away for a while but his peculiar style makes me wonder if he's had a stroke or something? I don't know maybe it's just me but increasingly I just flip through the pictures rather than reading the actual reviews because it's kind of impossible to follow his writing although it is kind of fun to play a game of count the periods.

Commas are your friend. Unless you're trying to prove a point ;)

That being said, I do find his reviews to be the most comprehensive out there. Certainly better than the "reviews" on some other modeling sites (Cyberhobby comes to mind). Biggest problem with PMMS is that he only adds content every month or so (aside from new kit updates).

Fine Scale Modeler is a pretty good general subject modeling site, the tie in to the magazine results in a large number of members of varying interests and ability.

http://cs.finescale.com/f/

Model Cars Magazine has a good forum for car models (in case the title doesn't tip you off).

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

MCM used to be good, nothing but whiners and crybabies and cliques there now, and the owner is a jerk. I would use http://cs.scaleautomag.com/f/ for cars.

Edited by midnightprowler

Commas are your friend. Unless you're trying to prove a point ;)/>

utzTCyo.png

Actually, he does use commas, but usually they're in place of periods. With random question marks thrown in for good measure.

One notable feature is the large tow cable stowed on the top hull is the very early layout with the cable ends clipped onto the engine deck and the cable strung along the sides and front, this layout was only seen on a few very early vehicles and to alter this to the more common layout of cable over the rear deck and cable ends at the front of the hull you would need to cut off the moulded on cable attachments and replace with the etched clips provided in the amended positions, referring to plans in the books listed below will give the appropriate cable layout.

Really good, in-depth reviews, and I truly wish there were an aircraft equivalent, but it can take a bit of effort to figure out just what the heck he's actually saying, at times.

As I said, it can feel like he's trying to crib the style of Ulysses, but it really doesn't work for model kit reviews.

Mate, that's coz he's writin in Strayan!

A few sites I have saved in my favourites folder.

www.cybermodeler.com, www.internetmodeler.com, www.aussiemodeller.com.au, www.scaleplasticandrail.com, www.militarymodelling.com,

www.modelersite.com, www.mheaust.com.au, www.track-link.com, www.ww1aircraftmodels.com,

LSP is very good, but for British RFC/RAF aircraft you'll not find a better site than good ol' Britmodeler, the chaps there are very expert on those birds, and related equip, sadly one of the best departed a little while back...RIP and Godspeed Merv (spike7451) :pray::salute: :salute:

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I've taken a look at the armor section of ARC for the first time in over a year, and I was pleased to see how it has grown. It is also refreshing to see a more lighthearted approach to AFV modeling than is typical at ML or Armorama.

I've taken a look at the armor section of ARC for the first time in over a year, and I was pleased to see how it has grown. It is also refreshing to see a more lighthearted approach to AFV modeling than is typical at ML or Armorama.

ARC Armor www.arcarm.com and ARC Auto www.arcauto.com will be coming back......I just need to finish up some projects in my personal life to free up the time to run 3 sites again.

ARC Armor www.arcarm.com and ARC Auto www.arcauto.com will be coming back......I just need to finish up some projects in my personal life to free up the time to run 3 sites again.

:thumbsup2: Was wondering what happened to them. I liked them.

Need a like button btw.

Also Zone-five.net when it works.

Don't mention Britmodeller too loud. I think there is someone here that doesn't like them.

:thumbsup2:/>/> Was wondering what happened to them. I liked them.

Need a like button btw.

Thanks...I had to put them on hold when I started working again. But I think I will have the freetime in the future needed to run 3 sites. We're in the process of downsizing our house.....once that is done....I will have less need for a job......freeing up time to run 3 sites.