I looked into this a little and I think it was VF-2 aboard the USS Ranger during the 1990-1991 Desert Storm Cruise.

There are some not so good pics of the exact plane mentioned by the OP here:

http://navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv61-91/index_033.htm

At the very least, all the crew names from VF-2 at that time are listed there... just now to put the correct names with "Bullet 202" is the hard part.

Definitely VF-2 on the 'Ranger' here's a pic not long after

http://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/f-14/162598_2.jpg

and another maybe someone will be able to read the names

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/6/5/1987566.jpg

Edited by scotthldr

In David Brown's Tomcat Alley book there is a picture of this F-14 in flight during DS with a full combat load. You can't see any names, but it's a nice shot, on page 193. Unfortunately I can't upload a picture so maybe someone else can help out.

I have checked my slides and this I read of my slide of this bird:

RIO : LCDR Daniel , call sign "Shoebo" ( could be Speedo , but it looks more like Shoebo )

Pilot : LCDR Gratas , call sign "Grits"

Maybe another member knows for sure the correct call sign of LCDR Daniel!

HTH , Henk

Edited by sundowner

What's the date of your slide?

The picture that I posted above was taken on August 30th 1991, so not that long after DS. It turns out that the pilots name on the canopy rail is that of the CAG-2 Capt Campbell 'Rabbit'.

Looking at the Ranger Cruise book for DS, it appears that both LCDR Daniel and Gratas are included on the VF-2 roll.

VF-2 Members

In fact, there is a pic that shows LCDR Gratas on the canopy (can't confirm it is Bullet 202 though, but is def a high viz bird)...

Canopy Close Up

Also, Capt. J.A. Campbell was indeed CAG of CAW 2, but it appears while on the Ranger maybe he was associated with VF-1 instead of VF-2...

Carrier Air Wing Two

But the 2nd pic that scotthldr posted certainly does show Capt Campbell in the front.

What's the date of your slide?

The picture that I posted above was taken on August 30th 1991, so not that long after DS. It turns out that the pilots name on the canopy rail is that of the CAG-2 Capt Campbell 'Rabbit'.

The date is June 1991 taken on NAS Miramar.

After they returned home, CDR Campbell and CAPT Brown's names were on 202 - 162598. Not sure why that was or if it was a replacement canopy or 202 was becoming the new CAG jet.

Callsign for Daniel is SHOEBO.

CAG/DCAG were associated with all squadrons equally. Whether or not the squadrons had their names on jets was a squadron thing but CAG/DCAG wasn't associated any less with any squadron. Maybe CAG flew more with one or the other squadrons but he was the commander of the entire airwing. I have a slide of 202-162598 dated Sept 91.

MYNV07P01_09BBW_zpskugiam0a.jpg

VF-2%20202%20162598%20sep%2091_zpsdxwjyx1p.jpg

So far we have

June 1991 LCDR Gratas"Grits" and LCDR Daniel "Shoebo"

August 1991 Capt Campbell"Rabbit" and Capt Brown"

Sept 1991 LCDR Gratas"Grits" and LCDR Daniel "Shoebo"

very confusing :bandhead2:

Hi guys, sorry for desappearing, I had a wify problem... WOW!! Thanks all for your time to help me clear things up, you guys rock!!

Thanks Brian, I´ve seen that decal set of yours and I love it, but besides that I´m building a 1/72 tomcat, I´ve always wanted to do Bullet 202....I do have a couple of 48s tomcats in my stash and I´ll be definitely getting a set in the future.

Thanks again guys!!

Cheers!!

Andrés

• 4 weeks later...

Ok sweet

I don't see how hard it is to be able to scale it down on a computer system... If I'm totally wrong let me know why

the problem isn't scaling it down since it's most likely a vectorized image..

printers such as cartograf and microscale etc etc have minimum requirements for print runs, and 1/72 scale doesn't sell nearly as well as 1/48 does.. so unless you feel like forking over a few grand and sit on pile of sheets hoping that you can sell them off to recoup your money...