Russian Air Strikes in Syria

Another Russian helo shot down. This time a Hind, both crew lost.

One report has Russia claiming it was shot down by a US TOW missile. Never heard of a TOW being able to hit a moving helo (the ones I saw in action were lucky to hit a stationary tank). From the video, it looks more like the Hind took some AAA hits. Low and slow during daylight hours probably isn't the way to go.

http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/71559/isis-shoots-russian-helicopter-killing-two-pilots-watch/#Pzg5qIrIi3EASahy.97

It almost looks like the Hind was on a rocket firing run. Could debris or some malfunction from its own rockets have taken it down? Regardless I concur with 11bee in that there is no way a TOW did that as there was three distinct and seemingly evenly timed flashes before the Hind went out of control (like rockets being ripple fired).

Sorry for the loss of the crew.

Edited by Don

Were shut down Mi-35M, reason of faling - lead of tail rotor after blast.

The reason of blast in uknown now, two primary version:

- fire from ground (portable SAM (were smoke trail?), small caliber artilery, TOW missile (as not so long time ago were shut down Turkish AH-1), RPG grenade as in Somalia)

- blast of defect rocket engine of S-8 unguilded missile during launch.

Anyway pilot - commander of one of the RuAF helicopter regiment's Rafy'gat Habbibulin (51 year) and oprerator Eugeniy Dolgin (24 year) were died.

About markings - yes, our decal were printed before RuAF operation in Syria.

What stencil do you mean - we have stencil for Su-24, 24M and 24MR in this set, stencil for weapon too.

No heat dissipators on the large exhausts of those Hinds? The Mi-8 has them but the Hinds don't. Any reason for this?

AFAIK they impact performance.

Presumably in the hot Syrian climate the Hinds need all the oomph they can get.

HTH,

Andre

AFAIK they impact performance.

Presumably in the hot Syrian climate the Hinds need all the oomph they can get.

HTH,

Andre

I find that to be surprising too, given wide-spread use of MANPADS over there. If it was a performance issue, one would have thought they would have followed what the US did and just equip the Hinds with a reduced weapons load.

Maybe they are very confident of the Hind's countermeasure suite and don't feel diffusers are necessary? Which still makes one wonder why the Hips have these mounted.

Just seems like an unnecessary risk to have your pilots flying around low and relatively slow with those two big exhausts kicking out buckets of heat.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Russian helo has been shot down. 5 crew KIA. Tough environment for operating helos in.

Was supposedly delivering humanitarian supplies. The greatful Syrian civilians showed their appreciation by desicrating the bodies of the crew members.

What a nightmarish country.

Russia launching strategic and tactical bombers from Iran for operations in Syria and they have also asked Iraq for use of their air space for cruise missiles launched from the Caspian sea into Syria. What can possibly go wrong!

Russia launching strategic and tactical bombers from Iran for operations in Syria and they have also asked Iraq for use of their air space for cruise missiles launched from the Caspian sea into Syria. What can possibly go wrong!

You mean other than the fact that they have asked and used Iraq's airspace months ago cruise missiles and it went fine?

Last i checked coalition is not flying only from their own countries, so what is the issue exactly flying from Iran?

Got to hand it to the Russians, they are the big boys in the region. They can do as they please.

You mean other than the fact that they have asked and used Iraq's airspace months ago cruise missiles and it went fine?

Last i checked coalition is not flying only from their own countries, so what is the issue exactly flying from Iran?

Such a good little water carrier you are!

Perspective is an interesting thing.

Got to hand it to the Russians, they are the big boys in the region. They can do as they please.

When you leave, others move in.

Don't steal that by the way, it can be my book title for my middle east opus.

We were very public about removing ourselves from there, then we are surprised when remove ourselves from there.