Russian Air Strikes in Syria

it's sad they covered their stars and markings...(on the Su-24, at least...)sad.gif ...i was hoping for some interesting modeling subjects( to come out from all that (what's happening in Syria))... but with nearly no markings at all... it's a tad turnoff on my inspiration...

What if russian aircraft controllers pick up coalition aircraft (or versus) during bombing on radar?

Will the russian attack planes limit their use of capabilities?

Their capabilities remain limited by virtue of less experience and type of equipment. For the West, Russian aircraft aren't the threat -- it's the SAM bubble they've installed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34411477

The BBC makes a good point about the lack of a targeting pod capability on Russian aircraft, do Russian aircraft have a JDAM type capability?

Not real JDAM capability but a video of Su-34 landing shows it landing with a KAB-500S bomb, which is GPS/GLONASS guided.

It appears Su-25SM's and Su-24M's has only been flying with good old dumb FAB bombs so far. Fencer's has been referred to as Su-24M2's but i have yet to see any in videos, they all appear to be either vanilla Su-24M's or Su-24M's upgraded with the "Gefest" upgrade which improves the accuracy for dumb bombs. The bort number 26 is likely to be this one;

123822.jpg

And that is Gefest upgraded.

Baltic Intercepts occur with radar-off, same for the russians i suppose as specs are kept to a minimum.

Coalition/russian aircraft share syrian airspace now, can they spy on eachother while bombing on ISIS?

Edited by cag_200

Coalition/russian aircraft share syrian airspace now, can they spy on eachother while bombing on ISIS?

Yes. This is why the US should reserve it's airpower and call upon Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to carry out the majority of the strikes. That way if any of them are shot down by Russian missiles, the US can deliver a smackdown with stealth aircraft the poor bastages can't identify or maybe not even see. Maybe we can scoop up some S-300s like the Israelis did with an Egyptian SA-6 during the 1973 war. I really can't see why not. It's hard to be scared in the valley of death when you may choose to be the main threat.

Yes. This is why the US should reserve it's airpower and call upon Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to carry out the majority of the strikes. That way if any of them are shot down by Russian missiles, the US can deliver a smackdown with stealth aircraft the poor bastages can't identify or maybe not even see.

Not sure how well our allies would take this approach - "Hey, you guys do the fighting and bleeding, we've got your backs if it gets really bad".

My guess is that the Russians probably have everything in their arsenal that is designed to detect and engage stealthy targets deployed over there. This is a great chance for them to track actual F-22's that are in combat configuration.

This whole thing has the potential to come off the tracks very quickly.

Not sure how well our allies would take this approach - "Hey, you guys do the fighting and bleeding, we've got your backs if it gets really bad".+1

My guess is that the Russians probably have everything in their arsenal that is designed to detect and engage stealthy targets deployed over there.+1 This is a great chance for them to track actual F-22's that are in combat configuration.+1

This whole thing has the potential to come off the tracks very quickly.+1

yes, please, keep this very interesting topic "on-topic", keep it focused on Russian Hardware... and avoid what-if scenarios.

Edited by mingwin

My guess is that the Russians probably have everything in their arsenal that is designed to detect and engage stealthy targets deployed over there. This is a great chance for them to track actual F-22's that are in combat configuration.

F-22s are great pieces of hardware, full of guarded secrets that the Air Force surely want to remain secret and not necessarily crucial until the US declares open season on the poor bastages. I don't think our hardware is a werewolf-killing silver bullet, but there's no reason to NOT to have confidence in American hardware.

This whole thing has the potential to come off the tracks very quickly.

Hmmm, not trying to be a jerk, but nothing has been on track lately. But by missing so widely the Russians never even made it onto the tracks.

And that brings me back to hardware. Who knows what type of Russian detection equipment is likely deployed? Types? Capabilities? ACIG is probably where I'll look later for some clearer information.

Edited by Exhausted

White Bort numbers are on the Begemot & Authentic Decal sheets for the Su-24. I used Bort white 22 from the Authentic Sheet. Begemot Decals are a little better than Authentic, a little thinner, both react well to Micro Set & Sol. If White 22 shows up RF-90983 as a participant that would be my Fencer in Critique Corner.

John