Russian Air Strikes in Syria

Its look like one of "Khibiny" type pod.

Thanks, never seen it on any other a/c than Su-34..I don't know why but it looked bigger on Su-30SM.

Also I see Su-30SM is armed with short R-27, I am more used to see long (deep throat :rolleyes: ) versions on Flankers..

P

Found this on the RuAF in Syria Facebook link above, Bort White 22

White%2022_zpsmi8a4g1x.jpg

Don't know if the tail number is RF90983 but it looks to be fresher paint with shorter white on the nose than my recently finished Fencer.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=287078

So many variations on RuAF aircraft year to year. This one seems to have artwork on the port intake.

John

I have always loved the look of the SU-24 Fencer. Yes, it's essentially a Russian version of any equally cool now retired US aircraft the F-111 Ardvark.

^^^ wow fascinating photo, are those CBUs, looks like they are mounted to underbelly and 4 is the load? did I miss it is anyone talking about the possible Turkey Mig 29 shoot down?

If something was shot down and a -29 chances are it was Syrian.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scooby....I'm sending a sternly worded letter to Putin at the moment. :woot.gif:/>

It is interesting there is a rule/law about such a thing.

apparently most folks fail to realize that those little laws (ideas) mean very little in real world combat. You do whatever it takes to get the upper hand. It's not just the Russians, but just about everybody on the planet when it needs to be done.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

apparently most folks fail to realize that those little laws (ideas) mean very little in real world combat. You do whatever it takes to get the upper hand. It's not just the Russians, but just about everybody on the planet when it needs to be done.

gary

Yes there are deviations from the rules of combat but they are still followed for the most part. International laws dictate it. Removing national insignia from their aircraft is a blatant violation. I suspect they did it as they didn't have permission to fly over several of the countries they flew over enroute to Syria.

I extremely doubt that. Shortly before transfer of aircraft to that base a government Tu-154M visited atleast Baghdad. This was probably in order to facilitate an agreement to use the airspace when overflying with aircraft destined to Latakia. I am sure Iranian's allowed for them to overfly, they have done so previously without any issues.

It had more to do with them wanting to keep the whole operation under the wraps until they were ready to reveal it themselves.

Yes there are deviations from the rules of combat but they are still followed for the most part. International laws dictate it. Removing national insignia from their aircraft is a blatant violation.

So is stripping your regular troops of all insignia and sending them over the Ukraininan border to support seperatists.

Cheers,

Andre

Yes there are deviations from the rules of combat but they are still followed for the most part. International laws dictate it. Removing national insignia from their aircraft is a blatant violation.

Plenty of pictures out there of unmarked US aircraft deployed in the mid-east. I wouldn't get too worked up over this.

• 2 weeks later...

Post Paris attacks Russia are stepping up their involvement and now they are using long range aviation. It appears they also launched a mythical new cruise missile called Kh-101 against targets in Syria from Tu-160. It can seen at the start of the video;

More information and summary here;

http://eng.mil.ru/en/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12066124@egNews

tUjv75w.jpg

Increase is seen on top right although it says "on territory of Russian federation" which makes sense for Tu-160, Tu-95MS's considering they are using cruise missiles only anyway but not so much for all the others.

Edited by Berkut

Seeing CIS, US, France et al, in a somewhat combined effort to me is a good sign that formerly opposing sides can work toward a common goal for the good of all; with ISIS boldly announcing that they had executed citizens of China and another nation doesn't seem Phi Beta Kappa...they've got enough folks hunting their heads, adding more to that group isn't what I'd call cerebral.