I use Ez line for the HF wires, it stretches so if you bump it you are not going to break it. I drill a hole in the fine and attach with super glue. It can be stretched up to 7 times its length, so I stretch it about 2 to 3 times its length before attaching the other end.

C-130A_01.jpg

72_C-130K_66_zpsyyqovbxw.jpg

C130E37SQN_4.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

I use Ez line for the HF wires, it stretches so if you bump it you are not going to break it. I drill a hole in the fine and attach with super glue. It can be stretched up to 7 times its length, so I stretch it about 2 to 3 times its length before attaching the other end.

I was thinking along the same lines, Trojan. I haven't used EZ Line before, and don't have any. What diameter and color would you recommend for 1/72 scale?

I'm building one of the Kiwi Hercs, N7003.

NZ7003 is one of the earliest 'H' model Herks out there being delivered in 1965. In all aspects it's essentially the same exterior as an 'E' model. The major exterior change on 03 is the recent change from the GTC to what looks like an APU in the left main gear forward fairing.

Cheers,

John

NZ7003 is one of the earliest 'H' model Herks out there being delivered in 1965. In all aspects it's essentially the same exterior as an 'E' model. The major exterior change on 03 is the recent change from the GTC to what looks like an APU in the left main gear forward fairing.

Cheers,

John

RNZAF NZ7003 was literally the 3rd production "H" Model aircraft off the production line.

NZ7001 & NZ7002 preceeded it as 1st and 2nd production "H" Models off the production line.

NZ7001 was a test aircraft for the "H" series, flown in 1964

All three being delivered to RNZAF early 1965. NZ7004 & NZ7005 being delivered May 1967

The aerials on use on NZ7003 today are in the same place as they were 50 years ago.

information on current updates to aircraft can be found here (note its a PDF).

RNZAF C 130H

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

I was thinking along the same lines, Trojan. I haven't used EZ Line before, and don't have any. What diameter and color would you recommend for 1/72 scale?

To be honest I can't recall which size I have but I think it is the 'heavy' version from the website. The roll I have does not mention the size but I do recall I got it specifically for 1/72 models.

My roll is black, since all aircraft I have seen with HF antennas are black.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

To be honest I can't recall which size I have but I think it is the 'heavy' version from the website. The roll I have does not mention the size but I do recall I got it specifically for 1/72 models.

My roll is black, since all aircraft I have seen with HF antennas are black.

I just ordered a 100-foot roll of .003 charcoal EZ-Line from Bobe's Hobby House. That seems to be the size and color most people use for 1/72 models. Thanks for your input, Ray.

Glad I could help.

So which C-130H scheme are your building?

The paint scheme that was on N7003 when 40 Squadron RNZAF made the first of nine flights (chalks) in Operation HOTPOT, the insertion of 161 Battery RNZA to Bien Hoa, South Vietnam in July 1965. I have enough photos to come close enough for my standards, which aren't all that high. The Italeri 1/72 kit has enough flaws that it makes my own seem piddling by comparison.

Edited by Unglued

Cheers,

John

That's interesting John, the first three Kiwi H Models preceded the first of our E Models by about twelve months or so. We got the first of our E Models in '66. I know that the E Models weren't sequential off the line like the A Models and H Models were and to the best of my knowledge the J Models also weren't sequential off the line like the E Models. Perhaps RayS can clarify this for me.

:cheers:,

Ross.

The paint scheme that was on N7003 when 40 Squadron RNZAF made the first of nine flights (chalks) in Operation HOTPOT, the insertion of 161 Battery RNZA to Bien Hoa, South Vietnam in July 1965. I have enough photos to come close enough for my standards, which aren't all that high. The Italeri 1/72 kit has enough flaws that it makes my own seem piddling by comparison.

Nice, yep if you want a list of fixes I am across them :D I have only built the one Italeri C-130 but have another 3 in various stages on the bench with a number of correction sets for the engines and sponsons in the stash. There was a great /172 website that showed how to build the most accurate C-130 which involved cutting up the original Airfix kit, and Italeri kit and an Esci kit. A lot of surgery if you wanted to go there. I know of someone on another forum who is also building a Vietnam era RNZAF C-130 who has paint diagrams.

biggrin.gif, I love your A and E Models Ray. Worked on both 12 and 77 as well as all the other A and E Models and all the H models. Have you built any of our H or J Models? If you have could you post a photo thread on them please?

271.gif,

Ross.

Thanks Ross,

I have a J and H on the bench at the moment and work on them when I get 'enthused'. The A is no longer with me as it was built for a Flight Eng who flew them, don't know his name as a third party commissioned it. So I need to build another A model at some time.

As to the RAAF serials you are correct though with the Hs a USAF aircraft slipped in between 001 and 002, and an Egyptian aircraft slipped in between 011 and 012. Otherwise the rest came off the line one after the other. The Js came off the line in batches of 3 or 4 with USAF and RAF aircraft in between.