Hobby boss FLanker Family!

should I sell my Academy Flanker?

If you think about Academy Flanker (it might be only me) you have to spend a boat load of money to make it acceptable. I buy: cockpit, nose, pitot tubes, exhaust, pylons and missiles/weapons! And even after all these updates, it is probably shorter than the real aircraft, exhaust/engine diameter is too small and canopy shape is wrong. So, if Hobbyboss can fix even couple of these long list of errors without adding its own it will beat Academy. So, yeah I think/hope HobbyBoss Flanker will be better. I am also happy that it is a J-11B with Chinese pylons, missiles and engine. I prefer to build a J-11B, right now.

If I have to bet I would say you should since Academy Flanker is a low standard to suppress. However, we still do not know the release date but I think it will be soon, like in couple months.

Interesting art for the J-11... Trying to pull off the next inflight collision with a U.S. patrol aircraft??

Apparently that actually happened about a year ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-china-tried-to-block-us-military-jet-in-dangerous-mid-air-intercept/2014/08/22/533d24e8-2a1b-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html

If they don't fix the position of the main wheel wells evident on the Trumpeter 1/72 it, it's a bust in my book.

I'm not sure that a lot of modelers display their models upside down. And the gear door will partially hide the (eventual) offending area.

Edited by Laurent

If they don't fix the position of the main wheel wells evident on the Trumpeter 1/72 it, it's a bust in my book.

It's a non-issue as far as I am concerned......

They look bad at first glance......

J-11b%20003.jpg

....but once the intakes are in place......

J-11b%20032.jpg

If they are still a problem - a few swipes with a sharp knife will soon sort it.

Ken

It's a non-issue as far as I am concerned......

a few swipes with a sharp knife will soon sort it.

The whole bay is angled wrong. Not sure how a few swipes of a knife is going to fix that.

It is true that Hobby Boss is using Trumpeter's R & D so I am hoping they are using that from the 1/72nd scale kit as opposed to Trumpeter's 32nd scale kits.

As for the main gear bay angle, Trumpeter did get it right on their 72nd scale J-15 and hopefully passed it on to Hobby Boss:

Trumpeter01670J15fuselage.JPG

Regards,

This is one of the reasons why I can't understand why they got it wrong on the 1:48 scale version of the Su-27.

The Su-27 is released in 1/48th scale? If referring to the ancient Trumpeter kit (usually in AA Model box label), those molds were based on a bad copy of Academy's kit. If you're referring to Trumpeter's 72nd scale Flanker line, the J-15 is their latest so that would explain the correction being included. I only hope that they modify the molds on their 72nd scale Flanker series but this may not happen.

Regards,

This is one of the reasons why I can't understand why they got it wrong on the 1:48 scale version of the Su-27. I'm still hoping for a GWH version.

They got it wrong on the SU-27?

Did I miss the entire Trumpeter/Hobbyboss 48th Flanker family by mistake or would I be right in saying "They haven't been released yet"!

Now I would LOVE a GWH Flanker but I'm not that keen that I'm writing off a kit series that hasn't even had its first kit released yet.

They had test shots of the two seater on here not too long ago. If you go to the Trumpeter/ Hobbyboss Facebook page, you can see them there.

This is Hobby Boss, not Trumpeter, yet I don't see the wheel bay to state it is wrong.

11781863_495010880657510_1922934288694861344_n.jpg?oh=621469a36ca4b74cd3fdb7dc33db3d90&oe=56A179E6

Now, the confusion may be because someone pointed out the nose error on the 32nd scale Flanker (see image below) and Trumpeter/Hobby Boss Facebook person responded:

"Trumpeter&HobbyBoss Fan Club Thanks for your help and we have already noticed this thing when we design the new 48th series su-27.February 7 at 1:25pm "

1517708_390196151160689_1213914700264466159_n.jpg?oh=823e8a88b38ed8f0816ba0f8545f1907&oe=56D1DEA1

Regards,

The Trumpeter 1/72 scale Flankers - J-11, Su-30MKK, Su-27UB, Su-27 (Early) and Su-27 all use the same basic lower fuselage moulds - and all have the incorrectly angled main wheel bays - I know, I've built them all.

I don't regard the fault as deal-breaking - it can hardly be seen and if you want a 1/72 scale Flanker collection, Trumpeter are the only ones currently providing them as state-of-the-art moulds(Zvezda's superb Su-27SM notwithstanding).

The reason that Trumpeter's J-15/Su-33 Flankers now have the correctly angled main wheel bay is because they had to make completely new moulds for the 'Sea Flanker' to incorporate a new fuselage with canards* and completely new, bigger wings with double-slotted flaps.

I doubt they will be 'correcting' the other, original, moulds any time soon.

Ken

* They would have to do the same to make the Su-30MKI/MKM/MKA/SM - which is probably why they haven't.

Edited by Flankerman

Are there any images of test shots available? I´d like a Flanker in my stash and had high hopes for that naval Flanker that was being designed a while ago, but it looks like nothing ever came out of it.