Tamiya Tape for Curves...

Looks like the stuff is a bit hard to find still, but I noticed this pass through Spruebrothers a few weeks ago. Anyone tried it? If so, how's it hold up? Is it a vinyl type tape? Is it as thin as their normal tape?

Oh, you're asking about Tamiya Tape, not something else you saw on Sprue Bros! I misunderstood.

Edited by Triarius

I purchased 3 2mm rolls directly from a Japanese supplier (through Amazon). It has yet to arrive but I'm looking forward to trying it. Based on what I read from others who've used it, it's nothing more than pin striping tape - as those used in cars.

Here's what it looks like:

wC2wisn.jpg?1

Rob

Edited by galileo1

Bought all 3 measures last August in Belgium. The larger one doesn't curve well and I'm not recommending it. Two smaller measures curves very well. Problem is glue is very, and I say very weak. Masked the camouflage on a kit in the morning and after 4 hours the tape fell away by itself. The more you stretch it with curves the more it will move away leaving you just a few minutes to spry. This is annoying since sometimes you need lot of time to mask a whole model. Solutions? Tape sticks better on flat base, but I like to work with glossy paints. Then you can try to block new Tamiya curving tape fixing it with some old kabuki tape on the back, this way it will slip less, but it will still going that, so be quick in painting.

All in all I have to say it is not worth the very high price tag. First time in 40 years I'm not satisfied with a Tamiya product. :bandhead2:/>

Similar tape by 3M sticks much better, cost much less, but it is also much thicker so it doesn't curve as much as Tamiya one.

Hope this helps.

Bought all 3 measures last August in Belgium. The larger one doesn't curve well and I'm not recommending it. Two smaller measures curves very well. Problem is glue is very, and I say very weak. Masked the camouflage on a kit in the morning and after 4 hours the tape fell away by itself. The more you stretch it with curves the more it will move away leaving you just a few minutes to spry. This is annoying since sometimes you need lot of time to mask a whole model. Solutions? Tape sticks better on flat base, but I like to work with glossy paints. Then you can try to block new Tamiya curving tape fixing it with some old kabuki tape on the back, this way it will slip less, but it will still going that, so be quick in painting.

All in all I have to say it is not worth the very high price tag. First time in 40 years I'm not satisfied with a Tamiya product. :bandhead2:/>/>

Similar tape by 3M sticks much better, cost much less, but it is also much thicker so it doesn't curve as much as Tamiya one.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, I was about to buy some on ebay, but now you have me thinking...

I also saw some similar thin tape for curves, but from a company called Jammydog. It costs about a third of the price of the Tamiya tape and has quite a variety of thicknesses as well (.5mm, .75mm, 1mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, etc.), and two types (Normal and low tack).

Anyone have any experience with these? Was thinking of getting some 1mm and 2mm normal (paper).

Hmm, I was about to buy some on ebay, but now you have me thinking...

I also saw some similar thin tape for curves, but from a company called Jammydog. It costs about a third of the price of the Tamiya tape and has quite a variety of thicknesses as well (.5mm, .75mm, 1mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, etc.), and two types (Normal and low tack).

Anyone have any experience with these? Was thinking of getting some 1mm and 2mm normal (paper).

I have several of the Jammydog tapes and they're pretty good. This being said, I like the Aizu Micron Masking Tape better. This tape is basically the same as the regular Tamiya tape but in super thin form. I get mine directly form Hobby Link Japan.

Rob

The white Tamiya tape, like others have said, is just pin striping tape with a Tamiya up-charge. It's going to work about the same as any other brand pin striping tape. I really have never had any problems doing the same with the yellow tape...if you cut strips thin enough it curves as well as you could possibly need.

The larger one doesn't curve well and I'm not recommending it. Two smaller measures curves very well. Problem is glue is very, and I say very weak.

As I saw this new product from Tamiya I ran to purchase it: I was attracted from the Tamiya name but now reading the Maglio's troubles on Facebook on the his F-104 with this new tape I'm lucky to have purchased only a roll of this new product.