Intake color on F-102 Case X or Case XX

These are the only shot I have of a 102. I took it at Lackland's museum in 1973 while there for combat school. The aircraft was marked as the Texas A.N.G. at the time.

scan0081-2.jpg

scan0148-1.jpg

Edited by ikar

The intakes were painted either white or gray depending on where the overhauls were done on the aircraft. I was a Crewchief for 8 years on the F-102A/ TF-102A's with the Texas Air National Guard 1960-68 with the 111th Ftr. Incp. Sqd. @ Ellington AFB. Texas. I spent sometime in climbing down these intakes to check turbine blades so I have some experience in this field.

Bob "Tex" Hanes

I would love to see a 1/32" scale model of this great aircraft as it wasen't the fasts interceptor but it was a great aircraft to fly and work on and it had so many great markings and color schemes. I still have my -1 Tech manual for the Duce if someone is interested in doing a new kit of this aircraft.

Bob "Tex" Hanes

I believe the old C&H conversion is proportionally challenged. It would be nice to see a new Tub conversion -- in both scales!

Hi Paul,

Just out of curiosity, in what way is it proportionally challenged? I understand that the original C & H kit was too long in the nose/forward fuselage area but has since been corrected?

Thank you.

The intakes were painted either white or gray depending on where the overhauls were done on the aircraft. I was a Crewchief for 8 years on the F-102A/ TF-102A's with the Texas Air National Guard 1960-68 with the 111th Ftr. Incp. Sqd. @ Ellington AFB. Texas. I spent sometime in climbing down these intakes to check turbine blades so I have some experience in this field.

Bob "Tex" Hanes

What kind of gray? Same gray as the exterior or another shade?

Deke

When the intakes were painted Gray, we used ADC Gray as the exterior color on the aircraft. This was done when the aircraft were painted in the squadron overhauls, when the aircraft were sent out to the IRAN overhauls when all the updates to the aircraft were implemented the intakes were painted White.

Bob "Tex" Hanes

It's from a company called Xtra Parts. You get metal seats and intakes injected fuselage halves and vacuumed canopy and floor.

I used some very thin aluminum sheet to make the vortex generators on the canopy.