T-28D Trojan in 1/72, Sword-model

Some early wartime COIN-aircraft: The T-28D. I will use the T-28C from Sword-models and hopefully be able to turn it into a D.

IMG_5688_zpso6hnulml.jpg

It´s a short-run kit, I haven´t really noticed until I started it. The parts have no numbers printed on the molds, but the instruction-sheet has a small diagram that shows the part-numbers.

Details are looking good, I´d say.

Here you can see my try to melt some lead - I wanted to put it into some more cosumer-friendly size and form, since the T-28 will need a lot of weight in the nose.

IMG_5689_zpspzbsrnso.jpg

To be honest, the result was not that good, and I will mostly use my usual fishing-lead.

And the cockpit with the nice decals:

IMG_5690_zpsa0yx6qrb.jpg

HAJO

Yes, it actually worked! However, the result was a stinking, strange looking mass that didn´t took up the form I wanted. But it´s ok, I used some heavy tools to get it in shape and now it´s already glued into the nose.

HAJO

Yes, it comes with two fuselages. I was comparing the two different versions and the only difference I saw was some small door at the aft of the fuselage. Since my references said that the "D" has this small door, I chosed that fuselage...

What kind of trouble I´m getting myself into at the moment?

HAJO

The fuselage halves are mated together. I will add the ailerons and then hope that the lead in the nose will keep the bird on its gear.

HAJO

Looking good so far! hopefully the front landing gear is be able to handle all the weight you add on. cheer!

let_models :)

Well, I think the front landing gear won´t have much trouble - it´s more the main landing gear that will have to carry the full weight! Remember, if I´d put in not enough ballast, the nose gear would rise and the model become a tail-sitter. So, there won´t be too much weight on the nose gear, even if I put in enough ballast.

HAJO

I dry fitted the main wing and tested if I´d have enough weight in the nose - looks like I do!

IMG_5693_zpsgcbpjeer.jpg

And in case I still need some more, I have a small opening near the engine so I can put in some more lead if necessary.

Then I have a question: Any idea what part CP6 may be? I know what part it is in the kit, but what does this thing do in a real aircraft?

IMG_5692_zpsstsrkbqo.jpg

HAJO

Its the flashing lights for the sky police version. When you fly too fast and they want to pull you over, they turn it on :D

:scared0016:

Joking aside, your model is turning out very nicely. I like the cockpit

Just look outside your window, I´m afraid the Air Police is already circling overhead, with the Flashlight on!! ;)

That gives the term "Air Policing" a whole new meaning!

HAJO

I dry fitted the main wing and tested if I´d have enough weight in the nose - looks like I do!

IMG_5693_zpsgcbpjeer.jpg

And in case I still need some more, I have a small opening near the engine so I can put in some more lead if necessary.

Then I have a question: Any idea what part CP6 may be? I know what part it is in the kit, but what does this thing do in a real aircraft?

IMG_5692_zpsstsrkbqo.jpg

HAJO

Hi Hajo,

The part, CP6, is the AN/ARN-6 ADF loop antenna. It was most definitely there during the Vietnam war on the T-28D so don't trim it off like the instructions say.

AN/ARN6 loop antenna

Cheers,

John

Added the wings and the engine cowling:

IMG_5695_zps6ywr3bgv.jpg

IMG_5696_zpsxgd91rz3.jpg

And also did some scratchworking, doing the gun-gondola of the D-5-version of the T-28D and the six small pylons. Those don´t look that good, but they were the best I have.

IMG_5697_zps8hy45mfu.jpg

Since I´m planning to do a "green" T-28D of the 606th SOS, any hints or ideas concerning the camoflage?

HAJO

Pictures later, but I glued the gear on. It looks like I still have to add at least 2 gr of lead to keep it stable. Since the gear struts are quite thin, are there any good ideas how to re-inforce those? I´m a bit afraid they´d may collapse with all the weight on it...

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

A short impression of the re-inforced gear, although it´s hard to see: I added small rods of clear plastic, as I havethe feeling that the clear material is less flexibel than the usual plastic. So far the model only rested for a couple of minutes in its legs, and still without the 3gr that I´ll have to add to prevent it from tail-sitting. So, I will just keep my fingers crossed that with the help of the gear doors I will stabilize the gear good enough to prevent any damage.

IMG_5701_zpsvmmhmyv8.jpg

On that occasion I also noticed that the instructions are either wrong or the D-models of the T-28 have a different landing gear layout: Instructions (for a T-28C) say, the wheels look inboard. Pictures of the D indicate that the wheels face outboard! Thank god I realized it quickly enough, the glue already started drying on the struts!

I was also able to work on the crew, using the Revell-set as well as some upper-body and head of the older Italeri/Esci-set. A test fitting with the canopy revealed that this aircraft looks like a flying glass-house! The canopy is protruding quite high, I even had to put "seat cussions" below the pilots to have them sit properly!

IMG_5699_zpszrou6hxb.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

My two crew-figures painted:

IMG_5702_zpsy6xukqgr.jpg

And the aircraft sitting on it´s own wheels!!

IMG_5703_zpsnrjmyouq.jpg

I´m already started the first layer of paint, using a medium green (Revell 39). Next will be dark green (Revell 65) and then I´m not sure how to proceed. I like the look of J. C. Bahrs T-28 (http://www.arcair.com/Gal2/1201-1300/Gal1266-T-28-Bahr/00.shtm) but I´m not sure if I follow his way of painting the third color in dark gunship grey or using Nato-oliv (Revell 46) instead. Any ideas or suggestions?

HAJO

Here is the current progress. Contrary to my post above I used a lightened up medium green (Revell 39 mixed with some yellow) for the brighter green and original 39 as darker green. I also glued on the canopy:

IMG_5704_zpss3fwli4q.jpg

Now I´m still not sure what color to use for the rest of the scheme: It will either be Nato oliv 46 or grey-green 66... Suggestions still welcome!

HAJO

Nearly there!

IMG_5705_zpssgvjtmow.jpg

I used Revell 66 for the darker areas of the camoflage. Also I attached the gun barrels and painted on some exhaust stains. Missing so far ar eonly the prop and the ordnance. I used some spare decals for the "TO" and the Airforce-code, please don´t look too close, as this serial belongs to an F-111A...

HAJO