Modelsvit 1/72 IL-86

The price is good and their service is as you say.

But.... they have an irritating habit of being first to announce a new kit - only to have it on 'Backorder' when you try to purchase.

I understand that they want to be the first to attract your custom - but they don't always have it in stock.

I've been caught out a few times....

Ken

I'm about to place an order with ModelsUA but still can't find pictures of what's in the box, even on Russian forums.

I'm happy I didn't order HPH's Il-62/Tu-154/Tu-134, I had a feeling something even better was about to be released, the Il-86 is such a beautiful design.

The price is good and their service is as you say.

But.... they have an irritating habit of being first to announce a new kit - only to have it on 'Backorder' when you try to purchase.

I understand that they want to be the first to attract your custom - but they don't always have it in stock.

I've been caught out a few times....

Ken

Well Ken,

I've just contacted the owner first to be sure the item is in stock

Isaac

New photos visible here :

http://hobbyterra.com/product/ilyushin-il-86-aeroflot-airliner-huge-model-kit-in-1-72-scale-modelsvit-7205.html

It looks like a beautifully detailed kit, and I like the possibility of having clear and realistic pax windows "à la Big Planes Kit", I just hope they include the masks for the windows coz they are not yet visible.

Photos are not HD so difficult to say but the wheels look simplistic.

With shipping factored in, $340 at Hobbyterra may still be cheaper for a lot of people.

Also, price is showing as $293 for me. I just registered... still $293. Changed to a Norwegian, then Ukranian proxy servers, still $293, so it's not location-based. Could be they're factoring in your 'Bonus Points'? Or else you're getting a discount based on previous purchase?

Regarding shipping it is probably best to contact them and ask. My shipping cost works out to be 47$ in the cart, so 281$ in total or 60 bucks less than HT even with the free shipping.

As to the price yeah, i have no clue how it works or why i get extra discount. I have only ordered twice from them before i think (Yak-1 and Be-12). Again, probably best to contact them and ask. Here is a screen shot anyway:

mQ9cGxg.png

Edited by Berkut

I'm showing $47 shipping as well (to North America), which would bring the total to... $340. In which case, flip a coin? vs. Hobbyterra?

This is actually kind of hilariously complicated.

Hobbyterra is $340 w. free shipping.

Armory is $286 with free shipping, BUT they have a 4.9% upcharge for PayPal, which would put the price at $300. (you save that with Western Union, but that feels kinda risky)

Models.ua is $293 + $47 shipping, or $340 all-in, but may have an extra 15% discount based on... reasons... which would drop the total price to $281

So... don't buy it from Hannants?

Here's a warning about the windows.

I'm currently building their Tu-144 and the concept for the windows is the same with both kits. Fit of the clear plastic was poor and I had to fill the hell out if them just to get them smooth. Mine weren't all that clear to start with.

An alibi with respect to my build. I'm doing the Tu-144LL which doesn't have the blue Aeroflot cheat-line that has provisions for the windows. I had vinyl window masks made so I could add them later.

It's a neat concept, but it didn't work out for me.

I also had a hard time getting the plastic to stick. I like Tamiya thin cement, but had to switch to Pro Weld. While messing with the nose gear a few days ago, I was able to pull an actuator off with little difficulty. Seems that the glue and plastic haven't fully dried out. The last little problem was that some Scotch tape actually pulled off some plastic from the front fuselage.

Overall fit wasn't too good either.

Both kits are pretty awesome looking and hope to see the big Il-86 flying the pages here at ARC.

Chris