"CAMPro" F-100 Thunderbird Decals

Has anyone out there used these decals?

I used a CAM sheet to do a F-4E Thunderbird a long time ago and they performed pretty good but the red areas where brittle in some places. I'm wondering under the "CAMpro" label are their decals improved?

Also, I'd like to get them to use on a F-100F...wondering how much fit and finaggling would have to go one for that to work out. "BenB"...talk to me, Goose!

You can find Thunderbirds markings for all their aircraft at http://warbirddecals-com.myshopify.com/

Thank you for the link, I'm familiar with Warbird decals. Not sure if you're a representative of Warbird decals, I have a set of the F-100 sheet but am reluctant to try it for my project. I used a set of the F-105B sheets a couple of years ago and had a hell of a time with the red being brittle and cracking along the edges, also the color red was a bit dark. I've heard similar reports on the F-100 sheet regarding decals breaking up. On the other hand, I built an F-84F and used the Warbird sheet for that and they were great!

I used a C&H Aero F-105B nose conversion, so nearly the entire nose is painted. I used the edge of the nose decal only, masked and painted the rest. That is pretty much how I've done every Thunderbirds jet I've ever built (F-4E and T-38). When decal companies can give a readily available model paint as a reference to match, that is a big help.

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_6157-1.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

Hey Whitey! Your Thud and F-84 look great!! I haven't actually used CAM's decals, but I can tell you they are more accurate than Warbird's. There were a few small issues that only someone who has spent way too much time studying T-Birds markings would notice. As I mentioned in my review over at Modeling Madness a few years ago, Warbird's F-100D decals are copies of very similar to ( <_< ) the Monogram decals, with incorrect crew names added, and a 1/72-sized flag panel. They were brittle and cracked badly when I tried to apply them. If I were to build a T-Birds F-100 in 1/48 or 1/32, I'd definitely go with CAM.

For the Thud, unless they made some changes, Warbird's F-105B nose scallops won't fit a true F-105B nose, but they will fit a D nose with the pitot removed.

If you're building an F-100F, you'll need to paint the nose scallops. All three colors are swept-back or stretched-out a little more than the C/D scallops were, due to the F's longer nose. Everything else (bird, stab & tail markings, etc.) were the same.

Ben

Cool! Thanks for the input Ben.

I figured as much about the "F" nose size difference. Both of the CAM F-100 sheets provide names and numbers for aircraft #7, #8, and #9 so I thought they might have a fix on the sheet for that, the "1967" sheet makes specific mention that they are two seat "F" models. I'll make it work, thinking I can make masks using the Trumpeter decal sheet.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Cool! Thanks for the input Ben.

I figured as much about the "F" nose size difference. Both of the CAM F-100 sheets provide names and numbers for aircraft #7, #8, and #9 so I thought they might have a fix on the sheet for that, the "1967" sheet makes specific mention that they are two seat "F" models. I'll make it work, thinking I can make masks using the Trumpeter decal sheet.

A few years ago, CAM's owner sent me a set of the 1/32 decals to review. It would have required another sheet to include the scallops for the F, and at the time, Trump hadn't released their promised 1/32 F, so he just left it up to the modeler to mask & paint the F's scallops. The 1/48 decals were the same as the 1/32 sheets, IIRC, and Trump's 1/48 F also hadn't yet hit the shelves (with a splat :D ). I never got to see the 1/48 sheets. They weren't available at the time, or else I would've bought some.

Cheers!

Ben